Tesla P85 Does 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds... And new roadster

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is so ironic that battery powered cars can bring on such amazing performance....

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/17/tesla-model-s-ludicrous-mode/#continued

Tesla's 'Ludicrous Mode' takes the Model S from 0-60 in 2.8 seconds

Today Tesla announced a new "Ludicrous Mode" for its top-of-the-line Model S P85. The new mode reduces the 0-60 MPH time to 2.8 seconds with a quarter mile time of 10.9 seconds. The front engine now has 259 hp while the rear engine is pushing 503 hp. Wow! The new electronics pack that makes Ludicrous Mode possible for the Model S will cost new owners an additional $10,000. Current owners will be able to upgrade their vehicle for $5,000 for the next six months. Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that the new mode pushes the vehicle to 1.1Gs while accelerating and that it's "faster than falling." Musk also introduced a new 90kWh battery pack upgrade for the 85kWh Model S which increases the range five percent for $3,000. The 70 kWh rear-wheel drive Model S also got a price drop to $70,000.

Tesla's previous Insane Mode pushed the Model S Performance to 0 - 60mph in 3.2 second. Musk said that customers love insane mode and with a chuckle noted that, "no one asked for Ludicrous mode because it's too ludicrous." He added that the company figured out how to go beyond Insane Mode and decided, "we should release that."

Then Tesla teased an entirely new car according to Musk in today's press release: "There is of course one speed faster than ludicrous, but that is reserved for the next generation Roadster in 4 years: maximum plaid." Not sure if he's joking about Maximum Plaid, but a new roadster is exciting news for folks wanting speed in a tiny package.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The other day I watched a Tesla, whose driver must have been in a bad mood, punch it in traffic, and he took off like a dragster. It was impressive, along with seeing it rapidly decelerate at the light. LOL.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Nice looking car. Electric cars, like this and lesser expensive ones, would go a long way in cities like Mexico City, Los Angeles, New York City, etc.

Yes, it is ironic. ...All that performance in this world we live in now. :b

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
We have a Tesla showroom very close to us. To drive one is to want one. The instant acceleration is breathtaking. One day.........

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Oh, it does a heck of a lot more than measure well ["R" rated language video]:

Amir, this guy (the driver) is a dangerous person, seriously. ...He doesn't know the people's heart conditions, and eventually he'll end up spending the rest of his life or in jail or between high depression and the court system. ...And penniless of course.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I raced one and it is certainly quick. It kept up with me until about 80-100mph.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I like the cards in the spokes idea...other than the acceleration, it's an emotionally dead vehicle without a combustion engine sound.

I agree. They're a dime a dozen here in the Seattle area.

I remember some cars being built with augmented engine sounds coming through the stereo!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Oh, it does a heck of a lot more than measure well ["R" rated language video]:

I like being accelerated faster than the launch pad of the Kingda Ka at Six Flags

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..my neighbor has one and he allowed me to drive it. To each his own I guess...not my cup of tea..

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I agree. They're a dime a dozen here in the Seattle area.

I remember some cars being built with augmented engine sounds coming through the stereo!

What I hate most is that they were/are unsellable and need tax payer money to subsidize them :mad:!

david

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Sadly that will be a more common occurrence down the road.

...Car drivers listening to their car engines through their car stereo sound systems! ...That, is totally ludicrous! :eek:
And by using a car ambiance EQ system, with Infinite Impulse Response digital filters (Frequency & Time), we can manually tune the target curve of the engine to sound more like a Bugatti? ...Or a Lamb Testarossa? ...Or a Harley? ...Peugeot? ...Citroen? ...Enzo? ...Jag? ...Spitfire?

* Christian, did you see that flic Sex_Machina ? ...About that guy with a wardrobe of women AI assortment. ...Gorgeous settings.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing