Dsd dac conversion by filter only

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I am interested in others views on this trend of dsd only dac by conversion "back" to analog by filter only with no dac chipset
That is it stays in dsm state till conversion by low pass filter

It seems ps audio and lampizator have gone this route with their recent designs. and I assume Meitner and Koch with their more expensive designs much earlier
I am not sure if this is what chord did as well
Although this possibility has always existed it seems this as an approach has gained wider popularity recently
Did the original dac on the sony scd 1 etc use a similar approach?

Is dsf downloads pushing this approach ?

Or is there technological change such as high power FPGA and programming making this a cheaper solution ?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The questions you have might be answered in the ps audio forums. Ted the designer of the direct stream is on the forums there.ose questions as long as it's not downing the direct stream he should have some answers for you .
I own the direct stream and have a level 7 on order . The dire stream sounds very good on dsd . But the truth is most any dsd I tried that does dsd weather native or dsd over dop sounded really good. Although some were better but not like there was night and day .
Al

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I am interested in others views on this trend of dsd only dac by conversion "back" to analog by filter only with no dac chipset
That is it stays in dsm state till conversion by low pass filter

It seems ps audio and lampizator have gone this route with their recent designs. and I assume Meitner and Koch with their more expensive designs much earlier
I am not sure if this is what chord did as well
Although this possibility has always existed it seems this as an approach has gained wider popularity recently
Did the original dac on the sony scd 1 etc use a similar approach?

Is dsf downloads pushing this approach ?

Or is there technological change such as high power FPGA and programming making this a cheaper solution ?
Chord converts all to extremely high FS PCM. DStream goes through 3028mhz multibit PCM at one stage.

Only Lampi stays in DSD with no processing. Meitner/PBD/EMM stay in DSD too, but I understand they do lots of processing before analog output. Some Cirrus chips also say in 1 bit Dsd.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
You need a high enough rate so the filter can provide enough noise shaping within the constraints of a passive filter design. Making a good filter is non-trivial, and passive or active has many of the same trades. Personally, I would want some sort of output buffer after a passive filter to reduce load sensitivity (I assume that is included in all these DACs).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing