DS450M with Ref5 with DAC8

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The system arrived on Friday and managed a few hours with it, overall I must say that the Audio Research Class D amps are rather underated.
I originally listened extensively to an DS450 (stereo model) with LS27 and CD5, this sounded very good and was a match for many efficient (lower bias) AB designs, but when compared to my Devialet it lost out on some finesse-delicacy.

With the new setup, I can say even with the DS450Ms brand new the sound was much smoother (in a good way), greater level of finesse and the quality of the Ref5 came through beyond that of the LS27, suggesting that in terms of quality the DS450M is very transparent.
While many would see this as a strength it may also be a "weakness" as it does present the sound of the preamp-CD-DAC used, and I feel many will not test this with a reference level preamp/digital source.
I cannot really comment too much at this stage due to needing much more listening time with the setup but so far it has a smooth grain free sound, with detail and finesse, and importantly conveying a natural warmth-silky timbre to the right instruments and without it being lean or cool so there is that subtle richness to the sound as well.
This system works exceedingly well and still seems to be walking the neutral line but in a way that I feel many will like.
Initial thoughts suggest this is very good and is a keeper, even when compared to two mono Devialet D-Premiers.

If there are a couple of down points it is;
a) In a fully balanced setup I would like the DAC8 to have lower voltage output as loud mastered records mean the Ref5 is working in its lower range and very subtly this to me is a bit weaker than its higher volume setting; but we are talking about when played a little above background level so normal listening (say around average 80db) would not be a concern, and this is me being very picky about it anyway.
b) Strangely the DS450M has both monos designed to look like the right side mono amp, meaning the speaker binding posts are on the far right and balanced interconnect more to the left.
c) This last one is the most important and may be a deal breaker but I must emphasise need to spend more time investigating; there is the dreaded mains hum coming through the both speakers and this happens even when everything else is turned off and disconnected from the amps (that are still connected to the speakers), happens even with just one amp powered up while still disconnected from other equipment apart from the speakers.
This did not happen with the DS450, so further investigation is needed before thinking it may be something with caps/rail/internal design and/or possibly influenced by UK mains.
Anyway got a few things to do to test this.
So overall I am being more picky about minor aspects apart from the hum.

Once spent more time listening (feel that dynamics and soundstage are affected by the brand new DS450M and some time running in is required) and working on the hum issue will give an update, but definitely it is a setup I can strongly recommend to those who are looking at a mix of tube preamp and solid state power amps, who find many AB amps to be too cool or lean and analytical in sound.

Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Just to add something I missed out,
another aspect is better detail with high energy consonents that come through cleaner and more clarity, with no sibilance and up there with the best when it comes to this.
Also phase-reverb recording related traits are much improved without the feeling of sounding so wrong unlike before in quite a few setups I have heard.

If auditioning with audiophile quality tracks these factors may not be noticable, but help with the more common recordings out there.

Cheers
Orb

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)
c) This last one is the most important and may be a deal breaker but I must emphasise need to spend more time investigating; there is the dreaded mains hum coming through the both speakers and this happens even when everything else is turned off and disconnected from the amps (that are still connected to the speakers), happens even with just one amp powered up while still disconnected from other equipment apart from the speakers.
This did not happen with the DS450, so further investigation is needed before thinking it may be something with caps/rail/internal design and/or possibly influenced by UK mains.
Anyway got a few things to do to test this.
So overall I am being more picky about minor aspects apart from the hum.
(...)

I have spent some time with a DS450 and it was virtually silent and hum free and could expect that the similar monoblocks would be intrinsically even more hum free, as they do not share ground lines. However, sometimes the ring created by the mains ground cables and signal cables can introduce hum in mono configurations. You can try do disconnect the power cable of one of the mono power amplifiers and check if the hum of the other one disappears.

If the new amps are brand new be prepared for a long time burn-in. :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
b) Strangely the DS450M has both monos designed to look like the right side mono amp, meaning the speaker binding posts are on the far right and balanced interconnect more to the left.

cj does the same thing :) At least they put the IC/Speaker connection away from the PC :)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I have spent some time with a DS450 and it was virtually silent and hum free and could expect that the similar monoblocks would be intrinsically even more hum free, as they do not share ground lines. However, sometimes the ring created by the mains ground cables and signal cables can introduce hum in mono configurations. You can try do disconnect the power cable of one of the mono power amplifiers and check if the hum of the other one disappears.

If the new amps are brand new be prepared for a long time burn-in. :(

Micro, you talking the 450m or 450?
The 450 is silent but the 450m is where I suffer the mains hum through the speaker.
We did the test you mentioned (in fact powered down everything but one power amp and even removed IC as we felt the same).
Just a worrying update, taken one of the monos to a friends house and connected it to his speaker (no interconnect-preamp) and hum there as well.....

On the plus side, definitely loving the sound even in their current state, but the hum has me concluding it may now be related to the transformer-caps-rail-UK mains, so an actual engineering concern.
Funny enough I do not think the ds225 mono has this issue as the dealer has not heard it in those.

Cheers
Orb

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The 450 is silent but the 450m is where I suffer the mains hum through the speaker.
We did the test you mentioned (in fact powered down everything but one power amp and even removed IC as we felt the same).
Just a worrying update, taken one of the monos to a friends house and connected it to his speaker (no interconnect-preamp) and hum there as well.....

On the plus side, definitely loving the sound even in their current state, but the hum has me concluding it may now be related to the transformer-caps-rail-UK mains, so an actual engineering concern.
Funny enough I do not think the ds225 mono has this issue as the dealer has not heard it in those.

Cheers
Orb

I was referring to the stereo version. There is still one test that should be taken with great care - use a cheater plug/adapter that breaks the power earth connection in the power amplifiers.
Were you using the XLR cable in your friend system using only one amplifier?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Micro quick clarification.
Would you expect hum from the speaker if only the power amp and speaker were connected and nothing else?

BTW remember the DS450 stereo works fine.

Edit:
And I am not going to break the DS450m earth connection :)

Cheers
Orb

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Cheers
Orb

Are the amps on different circuits? Sometimes that can cause the issue, esp. if they're wired on different legs.

While one can use cheaters sometimes, all they do is degrade the sound :(

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
If the cheater is between the amp and the mains circuit I think it also breaks UK regulation rules Myles, and considering we do not know if there is a design problem relating to UK I really am not going that route.

Ok Lets be clear here, it happens with ONE amp only connected and powered up (all other audio electronics disconnected also from mains-powered off), no preamp just speaker :)
It can be either amp, and it happens at a different house :)
It does not happen with the stereo DS450, only the mono DS450m.
To me this does not seem the normal ground/phase issue, which I think most are trying to test for or suggest here.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Well I currently been loaned a DS450 stereo and this provides some interesting comparisons.
What stands out most to me is that the monos seem smoother,sweeter and more delicate-finessed (some may feel the monos has less grit-grain) sound, with more foot tapping and becoming involved with the music.
The DS450 stereo is good, but these subtle positives for me make enough of a difference that I hope the hum issue is resolved, definitely worth buying over the stereo model IMO.
I cannot comment really on soundstage-depth-dynamics-weight as the DS450m is brand new and seems these attributes need amp usage time.

So, if anyone is considering ARC class D, make sure to compare to the mono models as to me these may be the pick of the bunch.
Edit:
Please appreciate though these comments are based using a REf5 with Dac8, using other components may not be as noticable or provides subtly different results in a comparison *shrugs*
Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Orb,

Congrats!!! sounds like you have found some winners there. i have heard the Devialet and regard it highly, and generally have agreed with your observations regarding the single and mono versions. So i can get an estimate based on your comments above, about the quality of the 450 monos. Plus of course your DAC 8 and Ref 5, both of which i have heard and think are excellent. good luck with the hum...what has ARC said about this directly? Good luck and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks Lloyd :)
Just waiting as the monos are with the dealer who will co-ordinate with the distributor-ARC-engineer.
So probably a few weeks out, but that is fine with me... I think :)

Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Worth the wait no doubt! If you are working with Absolute Sounds and Pedro, he is the best. Well regarded by both Wilson Audio and Transparent Audio, who consider him one of the most respected audio experts/engineers in the business.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I should had posted awhile ago with an update but hate giving bad news boooo.

Unfortunately with me being the 1st to have DS450M in the UK meant I was the one to experience any technical local challenges, and it seems there is no quick fix for the hum/noise through the speakers.
I had great support from the dealer/Absolute Sounds/Audio Research; but the anomoly seems to be persistent here in the UK as to be heard at the dealers-etc and with the AS engineer managing to isolate the issue to the transformer here in UK while the behaviour does not replicate back at Audio Research or other countries.

So we had to make the painful decision to look at an alternative product (for me the DS450stereo was not as good as the monos), meaning other manufacturers with reasonably efficient - ok not heat insane class A heavily biased amps.
A shame as I really did enjoy the DS450monos, however I still strongly recommend auditioning as the behaviour should not affect most potential listeners who are more likely to be outside the UK.

Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I should had posted awhile ago with an update but hate giving bad news boooo.

Unfortunately with me being the 1st to have DS450M in the UK meant I was the one to experience any technical local challenges, and it seems there is no quick fix for the hum/noise through the speakers.
I had great support from the dealer/Absolute Sounds/Audio Research; but the anomoly seems to be persistent here in the UK as to be heard at the dealers-etc and with the AS engineer managing to isolate the issue to the transformer here in UK while the behaviour does not replicate back at Audio Research or other countries.

So we had to make the painful decision to look at an alternative product (for me the DS450stereo was not as good as the monos), meaning other manufacturers with reasonably efficient - ok not heat insane class A heavily biased amps.
A shame as I really did enjoy the DS450monos, however I still strongly recommend auditioning as the behaviour should not affect most potential listeners who are more likely to be outside the UK.

Cheers
Orb
Sorry Orb...i know you'd been working on this for a long time...now it's time to share some good news. What [even better] amp did you end up with?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks Lloyd.
With the Dartzeel CTH-8550.
Created a new post in that manufacturer section.
Still deciding whether to go with Audio Research CD8 that I do like a lot (is very good and better IMO than the DAC8) or possibly Metronome CD8 that hopefully I will get to hear soon.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing