Does anyone know of a more expensive Preamp than the Audio Note M-10 Sig?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
This is not Audio Note Kondo, it's the UK one.
Can you tell I don't like to see them mixed up? :D
The japanese Audio Note Kondo is something else entirely.

alexandre

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
It's... http://www.avshowrooms.com/Audio_Note_Co.html

Audio Note UK was the distributor for Audio Note Japan 14+ years ago. They helped Japan source the rare components and aided with design and testing. As the project grew Japan could not meet orders and production began to shift to the UK until a formal break occurred. Audio Note UK has procured most of the world's inventory of Black Gate caps and many rare tubes that go into the design of the top products. I have been offered a Ongaku UK and Japan for comparison.

Image 5.jpg

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Did you accept it?

Indeed, what you relate is one side of the story (Audio Note UK's, of course). As with all stories out there, there's another side to it, and they don't quite match...

alexandre

Champ04

Sep 24, 2012
Illinois
So whichever Audio Note we're talking about.....
One of them has acquired the world supply of rare capacitors and tubes.....
Which, I guess, is one reason for the ridiculous pricing.
So, basically, my original assertion is correct. It's like the diamond trade. Collect as much of the world supply as possible and charge whatever you want for it.
Yes, Blackgates are awesome. I wouldn't trade my DAC, which I've modded with them, for anything. But it's not the caps that make the DAC so special.
So again.... It's all about exclusivity rather than performance.
I guess, if you're geeky enough to pay $100k+ for some special caps and tubes..... get on with your bad self!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It's... http://www.avshowrooms.com/Audio_Note_Co.html

Audio Note UK was the distributor for Audio Note Japan 14+ years ago. They helped Japan source the rare components and aided with design and testing. As the project grew Japan could not meet orders and production began to shift to the UK until a formal break occurred. Audio Note UK has procured most of the world's inventory of Black Gate caps and many rare tubes that go into the design of the top products. I have been offered a Ongaku UK and Japan for comparison.

View attachment 8874

well that should be a fascinating listen for you. In the end, I hope you can sum up the bang for the buck factor compared to the much cheaper more well known SOTA gear out there.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
The pricing in this case is a reflection of something called the Veblen Effect.

This is the tendancy for many people to assume that if it costs more, that they are getting something more and it does not come cheap.

The Veblen Effect is why colleges and universities are always raising their tuition. If they don't, they will loose enrollment. By creating a story about special wire, transformers, capacitors and the like the 'special' nature of the product is created, thus the Veblen Effect. Here is a link on Wikipedia that relates to this topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

This is the tendancy for many people to assume that if it costs more, that they are getting something more and it does not come cheap.

The Veblen Effect is why colleges and universities are always raising their tuition. If they don't, they will loose enrollment. By creating a story about special wire, transformers, capacitors and the like the 'special' nature of the product is created, thus the Veblen Effect. Here is a link on Wikipedia that relates to this topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

A sad but perhaps not unfair assessment of human nature. Taking your parallel to universities, i note that Harvard remains one of the true need-blind universities...where they can afford to ignore financial resources of any applicant in order to focus on merits alone. Is it nearly 2/3rds i believe are on some form of financial aid? Provided largely privately by the university through work-aid and other scholarship programs.

Back to audio...i have seen a few audio companies provide comparable quality products at similar (or even lesser) prices, continue to maintain very, very old products (20+ years) and parts, and in some cases provide upgrades generations later to those who still cherish the older products. CJ is a great example of this. I have never had the opportunity to hear Atmasphere, and look forward to doing so someday.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Harvard University did away with undergraduate tuition several years ago, as I remember. Students pay for books and board. It's all funded by the endowment.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I don't understand putting a speaker in the corner of the room. The only time this would make sense to me is if you are trying to fully activate all of the room modes and nulls. Of course, the modes will be much more active when the speaker is in the corner, but that doesn't mean you are getting better bass. You are just getting the largest peaks and deepest nulls.

Of course, I haven't heard these speakers, but I would imagine the soundstage would be flat as a pancake.

Champ04

Sep 24, 2012
Illinois

I would say it extends to far more than just "in this case". hahaha. But absolutely true. And kudos to you for saying so.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I don't understand putting a speaker in the corner of the room. The only time this would make sense to me is if you are trying to fully activate all of the room modes and nulls. Of course, the modes will be much more active when the speaker is in the corner, but that doesn't mean you are getting better bass. You are just getting the largest peaks and deepest nulls.

Of course, I haven't heard these speakers, but I would imagine the soundstage would be flat as a pancake.

??? Any chance you responded to the wrong thread?

Indeed he did; thinking he was in the 'Speaker/Room calibration' thread. ...Happens sometimes, with blurred vision, or simple 'clicking' mistake, or inhalation of prohibited substances, or good cool aid (Kool-aid), or any other simplistic keyboard error. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing