Does anyone know of a more expensive Preamp than the Audio Note M-10 Sig?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

I saw the M-10 for the first time at the AN factory a year and a half ago. Three chassis, two huge power supplies and the glow of you know what. I wondered how it would compare to the big Lamm and now we are going to find out. Is there a more dear preamp out there? More than $128K?

audionotem10.jpg

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
That pretty much tops my list!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I saw the M-10 for the first time at the AN factory a year and a half ago. Three chassis, two huge power supplies and the glow of you know what. I wondered how it would compare to the big Lamm and now we are going to find out. Is there a more dear preamp out there? More than $128K?

View attachment 8851

Looking forward to that review! I have read about their legendary Audio Note DAC 5th Element and CDT 6. GBP192K or about USD330K!!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Trumps FM and the Dyn Arbiter. Yup this is the most expensive preamp I've ever heard of. Kondo-san does it again!

Hold on is this Audio Note UK or JP?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I'll keep my comments to myself on this one.

Tom

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
$128k? It would have to be a ton better than my 3 box Aesthetix Callisto Partial Eclipse to justify that price. And I doubt it is any better. I've never heard any of the Audio Note stuff but their prices do seem absurd.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but to me the Audio Note gear is nothing but stupidly over-priced ****
Several years ago I had pleasure of listening to an Ongaku. Nothing special at all IMHO, and priced so stupidly that I thought it was only meant for PT Barnum's sucker:eek:.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I'm in the wrong business!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

djanggo

Aug 7, 2011
From FM Acoustics section, Quoting Wizard : "A 268 FS - this unit is brand new, and with no discount - it can be only bought together with a 1811 as a set.
If you have $125' + $155' this set can be yours, not every day this set is FS, as there is 6 months waiting time."

So as it stand today, $125k for FMA268 (linestage), and $155k for FMA1811 (stereo amp), FMA with their tightly controlled pricing are still at top of the insanely uber priced pack since '90s with other followers trailing closer by days. I know of people who bought whole 'Inspiration System' where at most could haggle only a 5-10% off rrp, and that despite being close acquaintance of the importer. In fact, I was quite pissed being declined same discount for one of their unit bought at around same time, knowing well that cuts ranging from 25-40% off rrp (depending on brands) are quite the norm in the industry. Sucks, but true.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I know of people who bought whole 'Inspiration System' where at most could haggle only a 5-10% off rrp, and that despite being close acquaintance of the importer. In fact, I was quite pissed being declined same discount for one of their unit bought at around same time, knowing well that cuts ranging from 25-40% off rrp (depending on brands) are quite the norm in the industry. Sucks, but true.

25% off would probably still leave them at about 5,274% gross margin !!

I think Frantz once suggested that individual home audio products will probably end up some day at the $1,000,000 mark.

That a company would have the nads to price anything this absurd is mind boggling --- but pales in comparison to some "PT Barnum" fan actually purchasing one so they can tell their friends they did so.

I keep saying it can't get any more moronic, but I am always wrong.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Champ04

Sep 24, 2012
Illinois
Stamped steel chassis.
Brushed aluminum faceplate. (and only a 1/4 inch at that.)
Off the shelf parts inside. ( I mean, aside from all the air that's in those boxes.)

This item alone (and it's not alone) is absolutely proof positive that the "High End" is more about exclusivity than it is about actual performance. It is, for all intents and purposes, no different than the diamond trade.
I don't get it anymore. I really don't.
If I had the money that the people who buy this crap does the first thing I'd do is run out and buy a McLaren P1 and I'd drive that thing into the ground. Because at least that thing has objectively superior performance from what I drive now and literally everything else on the road.
There is not doubt in my mind that this piece doesn't sound any better than what I already have.

Oh, and for all those "You can't say that without hearing it!" crowd. Uh, yes I can. I can look at the picture of a speaker made out of cardboard and know that it isn't going to sound better than what I already have.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Just wait a bit, there will be another, "even better" one out soon...ah ahaha hah

I can type up the press release in my sleep,

"The MkII version is sweeter, airier, more spacious with better microdynamics, and only 60K more. Great care was taken to address concerns with the original model."

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Stamped steel chassis.
Off the shelf parts inside. ( I mean, aside from all the air that's in those boxes.)

don't quote me, but i think Audio Note Kondo actually produces many custom silver parts themselves. I know the Ongaku uses silver trannies which aren't cheap. that said, they aren't worth 130k either.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing