Does anyone just listen to music anymore without critiquing their system

Were you using your TT ....? :)

No, a compact disc. RBCD. I like them very much, they are my favorite source by far. They are all the recording media I want or need. Copying them to a more portable or convenient file form is the only other option I'd consider if I feel the value of it is worth the effort. I'm glad interest in them is waning. It means they will continue to fall in price. Used discs unlike used records always play flawlessly. I've got so many recordings, many of which I've never heard that I really don't go shopping unless I hear something special I just want. Even so more continue to find their way into my house. Like many, I can't resist a bargain.

I think this is an interesting topic since so many audiophiles obsess about the equipment and seldom mention the music they play through it. I try to fight the tendency and sometimes succeed when the music sounds just right. Then I decide to upgrade and spend the next 500 hours listening for a piece of tube equipment to break in and sound just right. And so it goes. The music is what this is all about, or should be.

I think this is an interesting topic since so many audiophiles obsess about the equipment and seldom mention the music they play through it. I try to fight the tendency and sometimes succeed when the music sounds just right. Then I decide to upgrade and spend the next 500 hours listening for a piece of tube equipment to break in and sound just right. And so it goes. The music is what this is all about, or should be.

Happy to welcome you to WBF, Cascais. I am sure that your contributions on music and equipment will be much appreciated here.

With dozens of tubes, my system is like surfing a thermodynamic volcano. I have to think about it, or else!

It carries me away rather quickly into hallucinatory music land, so the equipment obsessions tend to be short at the beginning and end of the listening parts. When I turn it off, I am glad it worked and didn't blow up this time.

Happy to welcome you to WBF, Cascais. I am sure that your contributions on music and equipment will be much appreciated here.
Thank you for the welcome, microstrip, and the generous comment. As they say in the navy, happy to be aboard.

I know what you mean, cjfrbw. A few years ago a capacitor on a Counterpoint tube preamp blew up during a quiet bit of Handel, filling the room with black smoke and acrid fumes. I never quite got over that, still feel nervous playing Handel and approach my amps gingerly during turn on and turn off.

With dozens of tubes, my system is like surfing a thermodynamic volcano. I have to think about it, or else!

It carries me away rather quickly into hallucinatory music land, so the equipment obsessions tend to be short at the beginning and end of the listening parts. When I turn it off, I am glad it worked and didn't blow up this time.

Wow, sounds scary and living on the edge to me. :b

It is difficult to separate listening to music from critiquing the system, since the equipment defines how we listen to music by exposing the nuances of the performance. Great components can reveal aspects of music that make it interesting and listenable. I'm a Diana Krall fan but thought her Quiet Nights CD bland and uninteresting until I added a preamp that revealed what she was trying to do by altering her vocal delivery to intimate and breathy. Now Quiet Nights is a go-to CD for me as I am discovering new things all the time.

It is difficult to separate listening to music from critiquing the system, since the equipment defines how we listen to music by exposing the nuances of the performance. Great components can reveal aspects of music that make it interesting and listenable. I'm a Diana Krall fan but thought her Quiet Nights CD bland and uninteresting until I added a preamp that revealed what she was trying to do by altering her vocal delivery to intimate and breathy. Now Quiet Nights is a go-to CD for me as I am discovering new things all the time.

Oh, so that explains it. That's why I find Diana Krall insipid, vapid, not worthy of gettng out of bed for. I have the wrong preamplifier and that makes all of the difference in the world. But what about Ann Bison and Taylor Swift? I don't think any preamplifier in the world will fix either of those. ROTFLMAO, RMAF has come and gone, it's no longer September in Montreal, we're all in December together, and I'm not even in the market for a preamplfier at the moment.

Oh, so that explains it. That's why I find Diana Krall insipid, vapid, not worthy of gettng out of bed for. I have the wrong preamplifier and that makes all of the difference in the world. But what about Ann Bison and Taylor Swift? I don't think any preamplifier in the world will fix either of those. ROTFLMAO, RMAF has come and gone, it's no longer September in Montreal, we're all in December together, and I'm not even in the market for a preamplfier at the moment.
I think you're confusing subjective taste with an attempt to objectively assess the effect of better sound reproduction on listening to music. I mean why are people audiophiles in the first place?

The only way to have two audiophiles agree is to kill one of them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing