Doctor's Orders/The Listening Room And Home Theater Of Steve Williams

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
... had room modifications done by Art Noxon at ASC.
Steve, I have several ASC tube traps, but I've never interfaced with Art to obtain his advice on a "total" solution. How was that done? Room photos, measurements, personal visit, all of the above?

Ken

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I had asked Steve about the sloping ceiling and if there were any "effects" evident. I would have suspected that one would need to reduce the volume setting on the "low side" Gotham a bit compared to the higher side, thinking that a corner "horn" effect might be produced in imbalance. Most all of us struggle through with rooms that have received far less attention, though, so any problems in his room are probably small compared to others'.

Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, I have several ASC tube traps, but I've never interfaced with Art to obtain his advice on a "total" solution. How was that done? Room photos, measurements, personal visit, all of the above?

Ken

To do the complete room, all I did was supply a drawn to scale rendition of the room, , the sititng position and where the speakers and gear are.

Initially the asymmetry in the slope ceiling was addressed in the plans by having sound planks comingoff the front wall and into the room. I was concerned that these could interfere with the PJ, so I went with sound planks on the front wall behind the screen and ultimately will address the sloped wall above the screen. As for the Master volume level on the Gothams, they are set the same. Although not perfect they seem to be reasonably well integrated into th room but there is no doubt in my mind that they would be better integrated re time delay and phase alignment if I were to use something like TacT but as I posted inanother thread recently, I have been told by my friends who use TacT that although th DRC will offer up huge improvements it will probably come t the expense of giving up the incredible midrange and highs that Lamm is so well known for.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
What happens to the center listening chair when watching movies with a small group of people?

Do you move it off to the side?

Is that a 3D projector?

Heck of a nice set-up, shoes off everyone - white carpet.

Steve Williams

What happens to the center listening chair when watching movies with a small group of people?

Do you move it off to the side?

Is that a 3D projector?

Heck of a nice set-up, shoes off everyone - white carpet.

George

That seat doesn't move as that is where my butt sits for audio listening and for whomever when we show movies

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
:eek: :D Wow, great-looking system, and with good room treatment to boot! I am so glad I saw this before you managed to sneak down to see mine; I'll save you the drive down and we'll have lunch in Boulder as I don't want you anywhere near my little toy system! - Don

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
off the beaten track observation.

I noted (with interest) your listening chair, specifically the 'low back' on it.

I'd surmise that is one area that a lot of people never even think about. Reflections off the back of the chair straight into your ears!

Last week my new low backed listening chair arrived, for that very purpose...I spent a lot of time finding a comfortable one (for extended listening periods) that did not 'set my neck off' (old motor vehicle accident)..involved long trips to the store (300 km round trips) to just sit in it to ensure it was comfortable.

Found a recliner that was really comfortable, ordered the non reclining version (low back you see), waited six weeks for it to be made.....and the bloody seat is two inches longer than the one I sat in!! It forces my back off the back of the chair, and after fifteen minutes my neck is playing up...waaaahhh! We probably have a bit of a fight on our hands now haha.

Anyway, was some of the thinking behind your chair along those lines, or did it 'just happen'?

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
1. Proper time and phase integration of my Gothams with my X-2's

Finally there is no doubt in my mind that DRC with the likes of TacT or whomever would solve those 2 problems BUT at the expense of the magical midrange and upper end that my system has now from tubes and I ain't ever going to give that up

there is no doubt in my mind that they would be better integrated re time delay and phase alignment if I were to use something like TacT but as I posted inanother thread recently, I have been told by my friends who use TacT that although th DRC will offer up huge improvements it will probably come t the expense of giving up the incredible midrange and highs that Lamm is so well known for.

Firstly, why do you think that the tact or similar would do a better job than the inbuilt ARO? I had a quick look, no real data on it other than marketing speak, so no idea what it does or does not do.

There must be a reason you haven't gone this way, but why not send a seperate signal to the subs?

Y splitter or similar from the pre amp, one goes to the tact, the other straight to your amps and wilsons. The mains therefore are completely unchanged, the analog signal goes to the tact. It will be converted to digital, do it's stuff then analog out to the amps/subs (presume built in amplification). Or indeed, maybe even digital out of the tact straight to the gotham?? depends on what the gotham accepts of course. One could be better than the other.

there will be a processing delay thru the unit, depending on what is done, so no doubt it could mean repositioning the gothams. As you (in this case) will only be able to delay the subs and not the mains, those (possible) new sub positions will need to be 'acoustically' closer to the LP, so that the appropriate delay can be set.

Maybe it may even help? They could be in their present position not for aesthetic reasons, but to minimize the different arrival times...but moving them (because you can now exactly set the timing) may ALSO lead them to be in a better subwwoofer position??

I'm sure you have considered this, and not gone that way, so what problems did you identify that I have obviously missed??

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
WOW! Didn't see this post till now, on the What's New section. Though it started a few months ago. Hall of Fame gears, congratulations!

Steve Williams

Firstly, why do you think that the tact or similar would do a better job than the inbuilt ARO? I had a quick look, no real data on it other than marketing speak, so no idea what it does or does not do.

There must be a reason you haven't gone this way, but why not send a seperate signal to the subs?

Y splitter or similar from the pre amp, one goes to the tact, the other straight to your amps and wilsons. The mains therefore are completely unchanged, the analog signal goes to the tact. It will be converted to digital, do it's stuff then analog out to the amps/subs (presume built in amplification). Or indeed, maybe even digital out of the tact straight to the gotham?? depends on what the gotham accepts of course. One could be better than the other.

there will be a processing delay thru the unit, depending on what is done, so no doubt it could mean repositioning the gothams. As you (in this case) will only be able to delay the subs and not the mains, those (possible) new sub positions will need to be 'acoustically' closer to the LP, so that the appropriate delay can be set.

Maybe it may even help? They could be in their present position not for aesthetic reasons, but to minimize the different arrival times...but moving them (because you can now exactly set the timing) may ALSO lead them to be in a better subwwoofer position??

I'm sure you have considered this, and not gone that way, so what problems did you identify that I have obviously missed??

Terry I do send a separate signal to my subs. I run my system "full range plus subs and cross them at 43 hz

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Steve, I am laughing at myself because while I know we've talked about it before and of course I've had the extreme pleasure of listening to tunes in your room many, many times, all of a sudden I am forgetful: do you mean you set it up with a low pass at 43?

Steve Williams

I run from my preamp audio outputs one run to my Lamm amps for the full signal

The second output is run from my preamp to the Gotham subs and everything is crossed out above 43 hz so in essence I am running full range plus subs as the people at Lexicon term it

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
OK, I think I get it. You have the Gothams set for a low pass at 43.

What is the signal chain for HT?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing