Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Not only did we prove the benefits of the Typhon in my system but the other thing that became obvious to both of us was that my Telefunken Long Plate 12AX7 was a far better 12AX7 than the Tesla knock off of the Telefunken ECC803S (the Holy Grail) that I was using

The Tesla seemed to create a brightness in the top end and was also lacking a lot of the warmth of the Tele long plate

The other thing that was also quite apparent was that the bass initially seemed bloated and only resolved once the master volume of each Fathom was turned down. This seems to correlate with our previous findings as the subs were dialed in before the Shunyata gear was installed. IOW with the Shunyata gear the volume needed to be reduced

All in all I felt that after Marty left yesterday my system was dialed in much better with the changes made to the tubes and the master volume on the subs. We also changed the crossover of each sub from 40-41 Hz to 39 Hz

Steve, as per my posts with similar experiments with the JL's, play with the phase to see if with the changes you have made a different phase setting might be better. I realize that this goes against the physics of phase, but it is sound that is ultimately guiding us.

Steve,

We have noticed, as have many customers, the perception of volume change with both the Triton and the Typhon. We believe that this effect is a result of improved dynamic range. We are having a custom state-of-the-art Audio Precision audio analyzer built for us. It will arrive sometime next month. We intend to do a lot of indirect measurements of the effects of the power products on component performance. This will be one of them.

Steve,

We have noticed, as have many customers, the perception of volume change with both the Triton and the Typhon. We believe that this effect is a result of improved dynamic range. We are having a custom state-of-the-art Audio Precision audio analyzer built for us. It will arrive sometime next month. We intend to do a lot of indirect measurements of the effects of the power products on component performance. This will be one of them.

Thanks Caelin

I would be interested in feed back as you get results. For us yesterday, this was not a subtle change but very obvious.

Steve --

Thanks for the interesting followup.

Anecdotally, I hear a similar effect when my analog set up improves. Indeed, it is now something I listen for when doing a set up.

It's always a great pleasure to visit Steve's as some fortunate members have already learned. The combination of hospitality and great music listening is always a treat. Moreover, because the system is so revealing as well as musical, it serves as a reference instrument and a good one to learn from. I'm not sure when I was there last, but my recollection after tweaking the room at my last visit, was that the resultant sound was just superb and memorable. I was therefore surprised that my first listen on this trip was quite disappointing. I sat in silence for the first 20 minutes, hoping to dear god that some of what I was hearing would be alleviated by amp warm up. It wasn't. Bloated bass and an attenuated top end were present which immediately lead to an effort to attenuate the subwoofer level. Unfortunately, doing so did not improve things. To cut to the chase, I asked Steve to remove the Tesla ECC83 driver tubes on the Lamm amps and replace them with the Telefunkens that I heard at my last visit. Voila! It was an astonishing transformation. I'm sorry to disagree so vehemently with those that think the Tesla tubes that were praised so enthusiastically last July are in any way the equal of the Telefunkens, but not to this listener. Of course, they may sound good in some specific gear applications and systems, but for me, in Steve's system, the Teles reigned supreme. Not only did the bass tighten up, but the top end air returned without any silvery artifact in the lower treble. We put on the famous Oisitrakh tape and I almost crapped in my pants. It was breathtaking and even better than I remembered it the last time I heard Steve's system. This is as it should be since that in the interim, Steve added a considerable amount of Shunyata gear which no doubt added to the overall system quality.

The second thing I did, which I have been chomping at the bit to do for sometime, was a simple experiment in which I simply withdrew the Shunyata Typhons from the system. I should preface this by saying that I too, have drunk the Shunyata Kool-Aid and frankly, would not go back. However, although I invested in a front end Triton and have the requisite power cords on the VTL 7.5 III preamp, Meitner XDS1 and Spectral 400 amps, I do not have Typhons. I won't go into details here, but the bottom line is- thank you and f**k you very much Shunyata, you just cost me a lot of future dollars. Yes folks, the Typhon's confer significant benefit to any system capable of resolving the advantages of their addition. In short, the greatest singular benefit is the increased precision of soundstage imaging. Regarding the sound images, and borrowing a line from one of the most famous of Seinfeld episodes, "they're real and they're spectacular" (well, not quite spectacular in a big way, but in a very important subtle way, if that makes sense) .

As far as the volume thing, I'm totally flummoxed. I can't understand why adding the Typhons result in a significant gain change in the system ( I estimate 1+ dB) but it certainly does.

I look forward to returning to the William's Reference Home Audio Laboratory often! Who knows what goodies await?. But there is no question, listening there is pure joy and always educational.

Last edited:
Hi Marty

Thanks for your kind words but more than anything I always appreciate when you come and find something to tweak or correct. I always know that when you leave my system always sounds better for what you have done.

There are always goodies awaiting whenever you come ;)

Most of you know by now that I have not only become mesmerized by the addition of Shunyata gear to my system with game changing results but I have embarked on a one year upgrade of all my signal cables and power cables in the system. This will be quite a task and as a result I have a systematic plan of changing something out each month until there has been a complete switch from my existing Nordost and Transparent cables to an all Shunyata system. I never thought that I would ever consider this but with the remarkable changes heard so far I have made the decision to go all Shunyata.

Coming in next will be the Zitron Alpha HC PC's for my Lamm amps and then a switch of all my PC's in my system. Once done I will do a stage by stage change of all signal cables and speaker cables. Stay tuned. These new High Current power cords promise to be nothing short of spectacular

Enjoy the journey Steve.... I'll have to listen again when I'm at Newport.

As far as the volume thing, I'm totally flummoxed. I can't understand why adding the Typhons result in a significant gain change in the system ( I estimate 1+ dB) but it certainly does.

I bet this is the result of an improved leading edge - improved speed - which results in better dynamic range

I bet this is the result of an improved leading edge - improved speed - which results in better dynamic range

And I thought it was a result of a lowering of the noise floor which increases dynamic range which can then lead to thinking there is more gain.

And I thought it was a result of a lowering of the noise floor which increases dynamic range which can then lead to thinking there is more gain.

I think we are probably saying the same thing.With the Typhons out of the system the Lamm preamp volume was noticeably decreased and to restore to the volume with the Typhons in we had to increase the Lamm gain control by 3 clicks (1-2 db)

I think we are probably saying the same thing.With the Typhons out of the system the Lamm preamp volume was noticeably decreased and to restore to the volume with the Typhons in we had to increase the Lamm gain control by 3 clicks (1-2 db)

You may have mentioned this elsewhere, but let me ask anyway. Did you actually measure a change in volume using an SPL meter, or were your observations purely subjective.

You may have mentioned this elsewhere, but let me ask anyway. Did you actually measure a change in volume using an SPL meter, or were your observations purely subjective.

Interesting question because Marty and I were just chatting about that very thing. I am going to have a listen to my Stereophile CD and play pink noise and measure with my SPL Meter at the settings on the preamp and I can have an answer later this afternoon because right now where I am sitting it is 95 degrees and I am having fun watching all of the golfers going by

Answer was "purely subjective" so it interests us as well

Interesting question because Marty and I were just chatting about that very thing. I am going to have a listen to my Stereophile CD and play pink noise and measure with my SPL Meter at the settings on the preamp and I can have an answer later this afternoon because right now where I am sitting it is 95 degrees and I am having fun watching all of the golfers going by

I hope they are women.

I am amazed when I say there was difference of 4 Db gain with the Typhon

SPL meter went from 71 to 75 Db

I am amazed when I say there was difference of 4 Db gain with the Typhon

SPL meter went from 72 to 75 Db

Wow. That is insane. The objectivists/engineers in the house are pulling out their hair. I guess this does mean that to "objectively" compare sound quality between Typhon in and out you need to turn down volume by 4dB, otherwise the louder configuration will always sound better....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing