Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Dr- why the need for subs? Seems in that room size would be unnecessary with X2s

Beautiful room as always - too bad its upstairs, although Im pretty light these days :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Dr- why the need for subs? Seems in that room size would be unnecessary with X2s

Beautiful room as always - too bad its upstairs, although Im pretty light these days :)

Excellent thought about the subs as I tend to agree. The way they are set and crossed over results in only subtle changes but sufficient for some visceral impact

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

could the reason be for the subs... the low wattage Lamm's not being able to drive the bass as well ? I considered subs, but I don't need anymore bass as my amps deliver it in spades, so I am happy with the X-2's by themselves.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I do not know specifically in Steve's room but most of the time the really good thing about subs is that they are in a different position than the the main full ranges and help filling the nulls that can not be dealt otherwise. The X-2 with the front port is particularly critical in this aspect in some rooms.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
could the reason be for the subs... the low wattage Lamm's not being able to drive the bass as well ? I considered subs, but I don't need anymore bass as my amps deliver it in spades, so I am happy with the X-2's by themselves.

As I posted before if you have a room null you will have a dip even if the amplifier can deliver Megawatts ...

Steve Williams

When I first powered up the system I can say that the lamms moved more air than I could ever imagine. So much so that most people who hear the system say the subs aren't necessary. Christian you still seem to think that the Lamm ML 3 doesn't move air. You're in for a very big surprise.

Steve Williams

As I posted before if you have a room null you will have a dip even if the amplifier can deliver Megawatts ...

I agree. Plus I have a better mid and upper range Christian :). Something Lamm is second to none IMHO.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I agree. Plus I have a better mid and upper range Christian :). Something Lamm is second to none IMHO.

+1. I also happen to be one of the people that think that Steve does NOT need subs in his room. The big Wilson's are more than capable in this area, plus the new room isn't that large that the speakers need that re-enforcement, at least IMHO.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
When I was in Steve's room he turned the subs on and off but I really tell much of a difference. I would be just as happy without.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Beautiful room and system Steve. Who's the artist of the painting?

Steve Williams

Thanks Bruce

the artist's name is Maeve Harris whose art I saw on the Celebrity Apprentice in the Donald's Boardroom and did a search and found what I liked and fitting with my profession as I collect art work of mothers and babies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maeve_Harris

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing