Do you implicitly trust anyone's taste in this hobby?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Is there anyone in this hobby whom you completely trust in terms of taste? (No, I'm not talking about business practices!)

Is there anyone who could recommend something to you that you could just hand them your credit card to tender the transaction, without auditioning in your own system? Is there a manufacturer / brand that you could just buy and know this is the perfect component for your system, without trying?

For me, there is a guy or 2 that I trust, but on a level of about 77%, 23 % off from perfection.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Not I. Everyone has their own unique auditory senses.

However, I'd consider opinions that reflect my personal listening biases and audition from there.

GG

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I might do that for cable upgrades but as far a speakers, amps or digital front end I would have to say no. I only trust my ears.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
There are people who's opinion I trust but I'd have to listen for myself. Trust but verify, as they say.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Is there anyone in this hobby whom you completely trust in terms of taste? (No, I'm not talking about business practices!)

Is there anyone who could recommend something to you that you could just hand them your credit card to tender the transaction, without auditioning in your own system? Is there a manufacturer / brand that you could just buy and know this is the perfect component for your system, without trying?

For me, there is a guy or 2 that I trust, but on a level of about 77%, 23 % off from perfection.

Caeasar,

Are you addressing components or a full system?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Only mine.

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Like tastes, yes. Fundamentals, perhaps. Trusting a recommendation from a select few, absolutely. Implicitly trusting someone else in this hobby? No.

Tom

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Great men think alike, fools seldom differ.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Geez Myles-you missed your calling--such eloquence per Quote!--I could just see you on the stage--"Alas poor Yorick/etc"-Ha!

Hmmm-- I think Tony Cordesman struck the right notes most of the time

The current crop of reviewers seem to have difficulty telling Payola from Pianola

BruceD

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
On gear NO.
On music YES.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
There are a handful of companies I trust, because their philosophies and design and testing methodologies are based in a belief that transparency to the source is the objective, and because they seem to pursue that objective at every price point, creating inexpensive products that are remarkably good and expensive ones that are spectacular. Harman, throughout its range of brand offerings, is probably the biggest and best example. On a much smaller scale, Benchmark fits the mold. At the cheap end of the range, Behringer electronics can be mind-bogglingly good for the money, though the build quality is not great.

If my house burned down and I had to replace my listening systems, I'd go straight to the Harman companies to do my shopping. Wouldn't even need to shop around. YM, of course, may vary.

Tim

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
No, I listen for myself although that is getting harder and harder to be able to do. I read the mags and on line to see what is new. I would never trust a reviewer's opinion without investigating myself.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Interesting topic. I would say there are a few close to me I use as a guide for auditions ("you must go and hear X") - but never for blind purchasing decisions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing