Do you agree or disagree with this statement

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
For most of my married life, I've been trying to get my wife to play a tune on my reproductive system twice a month, but so far... not a squeak. Perhaps she's not blowing properly.

Now that's hilarious! But why settle for twice a month? I carted you and your wife to dinner at the 2012 RMAF show and back to your hotel, and I would have never guessed at her reticence to be a wind instrument for her husband's pipe.

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
Now that's hilarious! But why settle for twice a month? I carted you and your wife to dinner at the 2012 RMAF show and back to your hotel, and I would have never guessed at her reticence to be a wind instrument for her husband's pipe.

Now that's odd. My wife didn't go to RMAF, and I don't remember calling Rent-A-Wife.

Are you sure I was me?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Sorry, no, it wasn't you. It was Rich who lives in Canada and is from England originally. I had my Brits confused.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
drum kit.jpg drum kiy.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Few points here...

- What is 'live' music?

1. A Rock concert at a large venue with loud an awful sound?
2. ...Or at a smaller venue with not much improved sound quality (echoes, reverberations, over-bloated bass, etc.)?
3. ...Or in a gymnasium, or a stadium, or at an arena? ...Or in a discotheque?
4. A Jazz concert in a small coffee-house, with the kitchen near by?
5. ...Or at a cabaret with people dancing on the lower stage in front of the musicians?
6. ...Or in a small hall at school?
7. A Blues concert at an alley, or in a street alley?
8. ...Or at a club or a tavern or a bar or a lounge?
9. A Classical Orchestral concert in a hall?
10. ...Or outside outdoor under a roof, like a pavilion?
11. ...Or even from a barge on the water, where you stand up across the water on the other side, on the land?

Etc., etc., etc., where from most places the sound is awful anyway. ...And you need to sit in the right row, plus no cell phones ringing or babies crying and people 'barking' and all that noisy jazz that has nothing to do with the concert anyway but it is there because it's live and it's life.

Live music recorded (from a hall, or live venue like a jazz club, or in a studio), from a microphone, or microphones, and with a mixing/recording console, and with EQs, dynamic compressors, enhancers, sustain effects, echo effects, flange effects, distortion effects, filters, multi-tracks, from recording digital machines (they don't do from recording analog turntables, or do they?), or analog reel-to-reel tape recorders (?),
and then reproduced by our sound systems; often (most often) sounds better in a comfort of our own 'tuning' rooms, at home, and played over from our loudspeakers, with the medium(s) of our choice, at our own preferred listening volume level than 'real' live music.

Is it Acoustic, Electric, or Live? ...From a studio, from inside, from outside, or at home?
Live or Reproduced? ...What's Best?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
" Real music in real space"

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks Gary for an example of the obvious. Th late Jimmy Smith at his Supper Club.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Headphones are headphones and listening rooms are listening rooms just as eating at McDonalds is eating food just as eating at a Ruth Chris Steakhouse is eating food-they just aren't the same experience.

No, they aren't the same experience. The rest of the statement really doesn't deserve a response.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
-- Cool! ...I like my copy of Jackson Browne * Running On Empty.

I love"Nothin' But Time" from that record. Allegedly recorded on the bus, complete with the hum of the wheels in the background. Of course that hum artfully tracks up and down with the music :). Maybe they gave the wheels their own channel so they could control the volume in the mix? Manipulations and all, "Running On Empty" is a fun "live" recording experience.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Great find indeed Gary! Thanks for sharing!:D

Found a NM-copy on Discogs for $9.99 from a Canadian seller. From reading his feedback it looks like his grading is spot-on, so I'm encouraged. :D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Found a NM-copy on Discogs for $9.99 from a Canadian seller. From reading his feedback it looks like his grading is spot-on, so I'm encouraged. :D

It's not expensive and the music is great! And the way it's recorded makes it sound like you are there, which also means that it sounds NOTHING like hifi.

When I played it at CES, several audience members commented that the recording wasn't "crisp", the bass seemed to be lacking, the image wasn't good, the room is resonating why didn't you bring some room treatment, etc. etc.

But when you are sitting in the audience listening to a rock group playing in a school canteen (tiffin room to the English), this is exactly what it sounds like. Most "live" recordings are close-miked affairs with audience sound mixed in by the engineers. Totally unlike what live music sounds like.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing