DMA-250 S3 stereo power amplifier

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Hi,

Just read on the Spectral audio site an announcement for a new amplifier DMA-250 S3 stereo power amplifier.
I'm from the Netherlands (EU) didn't see more information.

Does anybody in the US got more information to share?

Greetz Ismaël

Reactions: GMKF

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Thanks Ack for your help it looks like this document is made in the Netherlands (NL), probably by More Music the importer/dealer for Spectral Audio in the Netherlands. I play with DMA260 and DMC30SS2. To improve my amplifier it costs a lot for example DMA-300SV selling price is €33,900 = $37,350, DMA-280 in euro 24.900 so a little bit cheaper if you compare it with an American DMA-400 SV. So I hope the DMA250S3 is a little bit cheaper :)

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The DMA-260 is a great amplifier! I wouldn’t consider the 250 mk3 unless the trade in value of the 260 was great and the 250 mk3 was a much better amp.

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Hi Dan I don't know the price yet, why do you assume the new 250 won't sound much better? Yes I would like to buy the new DMA 300 SV in Holland the price is absurd high. But in the states it looks like they don't ask that high prices so I really don't understand why Spectral is in Europe so expensive. I like to upgrade but not for every price for example trade in price DMA 260 6000 euro and new price DMA 280 about 25000 euro and the 300SV 33900 euro. Price off a new DMC 30SV 24500 euro trade in maybe 8000 when the 250S3 isn't an improvement I have wait for the next DMC and then buy a 30SV for a more normal price or buy a 300RS.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Crazy prices outside the US for sure. Here, we really have it good. I see the price of a pair of DMA-400SV amps is 59,900 euros, which is crazy; by the same arithmetic, the DMA-500AR's would be pricing close to 85,000 euros. Import duties are a big part of this, but still...

I agree with Dan, tread carefully.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
As much as I love Spectral. The prices in the EU are insane ; likewise if some of the Exotic Swiss electronics are the same if we were to purchase them in the States.

I think there was was European dealer that dropped Spectral for Soulution (Chiteln? ) not sure I’’m typing that name correct.

Another forum member in Europe posted a while back about switching to CH Precision from older Spectral gear.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Why is crossing the Atlantic Ocean (both directions) will add a lot to the prices?
Because of tax?
The shipping cost should not be such big!

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
@CKKeung Markup from the distributor ; outside of the us plays a huge part.

Likewise European products coming into the states and the if the distributor ( if applicable ) but most smaller boutique labels are using distributor.

In the end the consumer pays more.

As much as I want to support retail stores and dealers.

Lower direct to consumer pricing would be nice.

But , probably wishful thinking. Especially in the high end.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
No wonder.
In Hong Kong many distributors of hi-end products are retailers themselves.
That's why even though we are far away from N Am and Europe, the products from these 2 areas can remain reasonably priced.

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
In Holland we need to pay about 25% taxes, this is including shipment based on the US price excluding taxes.
We use 230V perhaps the transformers make the price higher? So I can't buy a US amplifier because there is no internal change possibel (as far I know) Spectral has special amplifiers for use in the EU.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
The voltage in Asia is betweeen 220 to 240. The older Spectrals used to have a devise that one flips around to select the voltage.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
@Hiempie Getting back to your original post. It is my understanding that your DMA-260 is objectively superior to this new DMA-250S3.

You would need to be at DMA-280 or 300 RS/SV to surpass it.

This was a conversation I had with a Spectral dealer ( at the time ; in the US) The higher the amp number ; the objectively superior in the Spectral world that their amplifier is.

To that end, I wish Spectral was more descriptive to consumers ; with the specs within their amplifier line.

Perhaps, your dealer in Holland can contact Mr. Fryer himself and have them confirm your questions.

Now, of course everything with this hobby is subjective. You might see more gains upgrading your pre amp to the 30SV before your amp.

On an off note; I’d highly recommend you go back to MIT cables (as per your signature ) if you decide to purchase a new Spectral product.

You wouldn’t want a very expensive paper weight on your hands. Especially at those imported to Europe prices.

Reactions: Robertd

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
@Hiempie Getting back to your original post. It is my understanding that your DMA-260 is objectively superior to this new DMA-250S3.

This was a conversation I had with a Spectral dealer ( at the time ; in the US) The higher the amp number ; the objectively superior in the Spectral world that their amplifier is.

To that end, I wish Spectral was more descriptive to consumers ; with the specs within their amplifier line.

Perhaps, your dealer in Holland can contact Mr. Fryer himself and have them confirm your questions.

Now, of course everything with this hobby is subjective. You might see more gains upgrading your pre amp to the 30SV before your amp.

On an off note; I’d highly recommend you go back to MIT cables (as per your signature ) if you decide to purchase a new Spectral product.

You wouldn’t want a very expensive paper weight on your hands. Especially at those imported to Europe prices.

@Mdp632
Thanks for this useful information. Yes I know sometimes a Spectral amp can oscillate and blow up the transistors. I hope this never happens. Now I already play for more than a year with normal priced LS cable. I played for several years with the MIT Oracle Matrix 120 SHD here in Holland priced 30,000 euro (Yes MIT is also very expensive here in Europe). In a blind test you don't hear any difference between this very expensive cable and a cheap but good copper LS cable for 500 euro. What a deception of course in my home in my situation and so on... But I am looking for a 10 ft biwire Mit Matrix HD 60 to replace the cheap cable just for the assurance nothing can happen with my expensive Spectral equipment :)
Is this why you recomend me to go back to MIT cables when I decide to buy a second hand DMA 300 RS?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

It would be really helpful if this was accurate. I have a DMA-150 Mk2 and have started thinking about moving up to a newer (used) model. The numbering along with the various revisions makes this a bit difficult to navigate. Seems that I can be assured of a nice bump in sound quality if I go up to the 2xx models. But it seems that 200S-240 are in a class below 250-280. I would have assumed the 240 released in 2016 would be superior to the 260 released in 2010. But is that not the case?

(Note: I’m guessing the release years by the last two digits of the bulletin #)

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
@Mdp632
But I am looking for a 10 ft biwire Mit Matrix HD 60 to replace the cheap cable just for the assurance nothing can happen with my expensive Spectral equipment :)

I recently purchased this exact cable a few weeks ago. It replaced an Oracle V3 Ultrawide biwire that I purchased at the time I purchased my DMA-150 Mk2 amp. Significant upgrade for sure. Clarity and transparency much improved over the older cables. Bass in particular is much more articulate. Breathed new life into my old amp ... making me realize over all these years I had been missing out on how fast it is and how good it is at tone/timbre.

Reactions: ack

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I loved my original 250 when it came out, incredible sonic memories.

I have valued your opinions- especially on all things Spectral. It sounds like the original 250 would be one to target as a potential replacement for my 150 Mk2. These - and even the S2 - are at a good place on the depreciation curve.

Reactions: ack

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Still looking for a good priced Mit Matrix HD60 biwire 10 ft speaker cable.
@ Kennyb123 I replaced my DMA 150 for a DMA 260 and started with DMC 30 SL then SS and now SS2. This improved the sound quality but after buying a Maxiimus cabling doesn't make sense anymore cheap or expensive cables don't improve the sound anymore. So next step will be SV equipment but first a proper Mit LS cable :)

Reactions: kennyb123

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have valued your opinions- especially on all things Spectral. It sounds like the original 250 would be one to target as a potential replacement for my 150 Mk2. These - and even the S2 - are at a good place on the depreciation curve.

Yeah, go for it; try to find the S2 if you can

Reactions: kennyb123

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing