Diptyque Audio DP=160 The New Reference ?!..

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Just bought a pair of the smallest Model for the Living Room Diptyque DP77
Great value , excellent sound & almost limitless colours + Art Prints to suit your Decor

177 Diptyque_dp77_rouge_test_ON-magFR.jpeg

. 14dyptique.jpg

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
The only thing I miss is deep-full-palpable bass…

The higher frequencies they do so well..

but I miss the bass.. even so that it went out to audition the KLIPSCH CORNWALL IV…

maybe I should just add a sub to the DP-160 ?
If you add a sub I suggest you go dipole. Fred at Audio Prana carries the Sound Kaos which makes their new Riplo sub that I hear is amazing and hope to hear in Munich. Gradient also offers some good solutions. Good luck with this next step.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
I wasn’t a big fan to be honest..
I'm curious as to when and where you heard the amp? There have been some changes to the tube board.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
The only thing I miss is deep-full-palpable bass…

The higher frequencies they do so well..

but I miss the bass.. even so that it went out to audition the KLIPSCH CORNWALL IV…

maybe I should just add a sub to the DP-160 ?
You should know that Diptyque may well be coming out with a larger more bass capable speaker around May this year : )

Reactions: Hyperion

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Just ran across Diptique's new flagship. I am looking forward to taking their measure in Munich. Really like the look too!

diptyque reference 1.jpg

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
The new Diptyque Reference (called The Diptyque Reference) breaks new ground in a few areas, not the least of which is a patented bass panel that reaches all the way down to 22hz...something that heretofore has been but a dream from a single panel, until now. Each panel weighs 165 pounds. Any other panel that goes as low, has to have multiple panels per channel. The new patented panel tech is called Crossed Push Pull Technology. This speaker needs to be heard. 165 pounds of panel magic. You can read more about them here.

Lastly, they are the ultimate speaker for those who have kids. It seems like a small thing, unless you have kids or animals. They can't hurt the speaker and vice versa. I'd have a pair even without the toddler that's running around here somewhere. diptyque reference 1.jpg diptyque reference 3.jpg diptyque reference2.jpg Screenshot 2022-05-01 at 22.08.24.jpg

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@Fred Crane

Impressive!

It looks like the wooden frame is made from Panzerholz.
Is this correct?
Thanks

Matt

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
@Fred Crane

Impressive!

It looks like the wooden frame is made from Panzerholz.
Is this correct?
Thanks

Matt
Hi Matt,

I don't know the answer to your question but did forward the question on your behalf.. Past frames have been metallic. Given the weight, it could go either way.

Reactions: matthias

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
All new Diptyque Reference speakers
I would LOVE to hear these speakers with the Amazing Western Electric WE91E 300B Integrated amp that just come out on the market !...

Last edited:

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
The new Diptyque Reference (called The Diptyque Reference) breaks new ground in a few areas, not the least of which is a patented bass panel that reaches all the way down to 22hz...something that heretofore has been but a dream from a single panel, until now. Each panel weighs 165 pounds. Any other panel that goes as low, has to have multiple panels per channel. The new patented panel tech is called Crossed Push Pull Technology. This speaker needs to be heard. 165 pounds of panel magic. You can read more about them here.

Lastly, they are the ultimate speaker for those who have kids. It seems like a small thing, unless you have kids or animals. They can't hurt the speaker and vice versa. I'd have a pair even without the toddler that's running around here somewhere. View attachment 92367

I'm very much looking forward to experience what Gilles & co have created in Munich, where this is one of the most intriguing introductions this year.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Maybe these new Diptyque Audio Reference speakers are so good that nothing else matters :eek::eek:

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com
Just ran across Diptique's new flagship. I am looking forward to taking their measure in Munich. Really like the look too!

View attachment 92366

Those are Reference flagships, taking over from dp160 Signature Elegance, to be heard first time in MOC during an official launch. We became Diptyque Audio's officially appointed distribution in the UK and all the other models are available for the listening here, in our venue and soon with selected dealers too. The reference we are planning to have here this Autumn, when dp160 Signature Elegance will have an official UK premiere during the North West Audio Show in Cranage. Models dp 77 and dp107 will also be there on display, but we are not planning playback with them during the event.

I must say we like the look of them as well a lot. These are quite radical departure from an existing range, both aesthetically and sonic wise as well. Hope to meet some of you in Munich in Diptyque Audio space , Hall2, stand 07 with the French company Kora for amplifiers and DAC.

Last edited:

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com
I see no comments from the members in that thread yet, so let me point a few things. Those who are familiar with dp range already know that building quality with Diptyque Audio is on the highest level and paying attention to the details is a key factor there.

Needless to say that with the new Reference however we are stepping into the entire new world. I am speechless to say at least and not surprised with the price jump. That quality of the materials and labour simply comes at the cost.

Variety of colours to custom finish panels, choices of leather for the side treaming , even the stiching, is both overhelming and very tasty and carefully chosen in the same time.

Although Titanium matt finish with a ginger tream as per show launch pair is super elegant and I would be happy with it even with no other choice available.

I know, you want to hear how they sound, ok. With the new Kora amplification they do the graet job and the sound is very spacious and musical. Even given the small boot size and its minimal acoustic treatment, images are free and precise but very realistic, accurate and perfectly sized. That's what I love most , as I hate when the quitar is the size of a double bass and the flute the size of deegeridoo.

Listen to a little sample below, I will be back with more.
ps:
correction: the clip seems to be too heavy to upload. Will try to do few shorter today and post later.

Source is not on the level of the rest of the system there, but this is often the reality on the big shows like that. I know it could be ways better, but I can also hear it doesn't compromise the performance of the system, that's what matters.

Attachments

• 20220519_174003.jpg
    20220519_174003.jpg
    965.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220519_174013.jpg
    20220519_174013.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
All new Diptyque Reference speakers
I would LOVE to hear these speakers with the Amazing Western Electric WE91E 300B Integrated amp that just come out on the market !...

That would be an adventurous pairing. The manufacturer recommends 60+ watts. The 300b tube, unlike the GM70 and 211 or some other big tubes, doesn't possess the voltage to make up the power of 60 watts as they typically have around 300-350v on the rails and 8 watts per channel. I think the new WE amp (made by Cayin, right? ) is putting out 15 or so. So, it probably wouldn't plum the depths so to speak. Still, there are many great tube amps to try on them that fall within the suggested parameters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
I see no comments from the members in that thread yet, so let me point a few things. Those who are familiar with dp range already know that building quality with Diptyque Audio is on the highest level and paying attention to the details is a key factor there.

Needless to say that with the new Reference however we are stepping into the entire new world. I am speechless to say at least and not surprised with the price jump. That quality of the materials and labour simply comes at the cost.

Variety of colours to custom finish panels, choices of leather for the side treaming , even the stiching, is both overhelming and very tasty and carefully chosen in the same time.

Although Titanium matt finish with a ginger tream as per show launch pair is super elegant and I would be happy with it even with no other choice available.

I know, you want to hear how they sound, ok. With the new Kora amplification they do the graet job and the sound is very spacious and musical. Even given the small boot size and its minimal acoustic treatment, images are free and precise but very realistic, accurate and perfectly sized. That's what I love most , as I hate when the quitar is the size of a double bass and the flute the size of deegeridoo.

Listen to a little sample below, I will be back with more.
ps:
correction: the clip seems to be too heavy to upload. Will try to do few shorter today and post later.

Source is not on the level of the rest of the system there, but this is often the reality on the big shows like that. I know it could be ways better, but I can also hear it doesn't compromise the performance of the system, that's what matters.
Thanks Greg, this is great coverage.

Reactions: mr.gregdee

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I wonder how they will compare with the Alsvox Botticelli's? So bummed I could not make HE 2022 due to Covid concerns.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
My bad............. Diptique Reference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing