Diptyque Audio DP=160 The New Reference ?!..

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com
Here are a few snaps from the recent Audio Show in Paris. I wasn't there myself but few friends attended , with one of them I was listening to them together in Munich. He said that the room was acoustically significantly better than the MOC boot and they sounded there even more outstanding.
I know the man long time and we listened to the lot of music together, so I can trust his feedback without hesitation. This weekend we will be for the first time presenting the dp160 Elegance Supreme in the UK, on North West Audio Show, so I will gladly share some opinions with you about the sound. I have a good room there, which I know very well how to use and they will be matched with Riviera Audio Labs mono amps and the top 01SE preamp. The source there will be Lucas Audio Labs miniMAX server with LampizatOr Horizon DAC combo, so be prepared for some serious music emotions ;)

Attachments

• ref 1 2.jpg
    ref 1 2.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 17
  • ref 1 3.jpg
    ref 1 3.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 17
  • ref1.jpg
    ref1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 19
  • ref 4.jpg
    ref 4.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

RenMorales

Apr 26, 2022
Those are Reference flagships, taking over from dp160 Signature Elegance, to be heard first time in MOC during an official launch. We became Diptyque Audio's officially appointed distribution in the UK and all the other models are available for the listening here, in our venue and soon with selected dealers too. The reference we are planning to have here this Autumn, when dp160 Signature Elegance will have an official UK premiere during the North West Audio Show in Cranage. Models dp 77 and dp107 will also be there on display, but we are not planning playback with them during the event.

I must say we like the look of them as well a lot. These are quite radical departure from an existing range, both aesthetically and sonic wise as well. Hope to meet some of you in Munich in Diptyque Audio space , Hall2, stand 07 with the French company Kora for amplifiers and DAC.
I took delivery last weekend of the Diptyque DP160 signature, which is the external crossover. I matched it with the Kora TB200 integrated. However, I might try the Kora as an amp since I have the Miyajima EC5 tubed preamp with 3 mm phono input. I am the first one in Canada to have the DP160 signature. They are amazing with both digital and analog. My last speaker upgrade, unless I win the lottery and get the reference and new Kora 100 watt Class A amp! So broke right now...lol. The rest of my gear, Garrard 401 with siggwan 12 inch tonearm/EMT TSD 15 with auditorium step-up, Lenco L75 with PTP mod on a plinth from Moldova. Digital - 432 EVO AEON music streamer acting as roon core, Aqua La Vocce S3.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I wonder how they will compare with the Alsvox Botticelli's? So bummed I could not make HE 2022 due to Covid concerns.
That would indeed be an interesting comparison. Based on what I heard in Munich this year, the Alsyvox have more impact and deeper bass, whilst the Diptyque has a speed and delicacy to it. Usual provisos apply re: rooms, partnering equipment, and the obvious point that the Alsyvox was not the Botticelli.

Henk2924

Sep 19, 2019
I play with the DP160’s for an ample year. loved them at first listen, and still do. Is treat with an Antippodes DX3 and amplify with Mola Mola Kula. I have been experimenting with REL subs (4 older Strata’s) they really make a difference. A bit in the bass, more so in soundstage, depth and an essential contribution to the live illusion. I’m selling two subs to be able to buy one REL Carbon Special. When auditioning and A/B comparing with a Strata it offers, more precision, speed and punch.

Reactions: Hyperion

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Henk, Srajen at sixmoons has been writing regularly about what a well-setup pair subwoofer system can do you your system. There has typically been a challenge pairing subs with panel speakers because their polar response is so much different than a box woofer and, of course, their texture and speed.

Rel makes awesome subs, but I suggest you also investigate Sound Kaos's new Ripol subwoofer system designed for this purpose, as I hear it's fantastic. I also believe Gradient has an offering for use with dipoles as well. Whatever you decide, it sounds like you will enjoy your system even more.

Delays for the outboard passive crossover have delayed the SK sub's release. Worth the wait since you currently have subs in the system?

Attachments

• DsubSK.jpg
    DsubSK.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I play with the DP160’s for an ample year. loved them at first listen, and still do. Is treat with an Antippodes DX3 and amplify with Mola Mola Kula. I have been experimenting with REL subs (4 older Strata’s) they really make a difference. A bit in the bass, more so in soundstage, depth and an essential contribution to the live illusion. I’m selling two subs to be able to buy one REL Carbon Special. When auditioning and A/B comparing with a Strata it offers, more precision, speed and punch.

Diptyque DP160 + RAL Carbon Special is a wonderful combination which is what we use for demo here in Stockholm frequently as well.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
A year since the last post here. I have had the chanse to live with a pair of Diptyque 107 in my listening room. Have also over a few days played alot with the 160 ones. Now Im finally moving to a new place. If things go as Im hoping for, a pair of 160mk2 will stand in my place before snow start falling. I just love them 107 and 160mk1

Attachments

• IMG_20230413_161909.jpg
    IMG_20230413_161909.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230403_114031.jpg
    IMG_20230403_114031.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 21

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for posting about these very interesting speakers!

I heard the largest model at AXPONA.

Are you able to give us your thoughts, please, on how do these speakers compare to other dipole panel speakers?

Reactions: Hyperion

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Thank you for posting about these very interesting speakers!

I heard the largest model at AXPONA.

Are you able to give us your thoughts, please, on how do these speakers compare to other dipole panel speakers?
First, sorry for the late replay. Have been using my time for a few life changing things.

What can I say about the 107 I had. Well the thing is, I just loved the speed and accuracy and speed of them. The deep and detailed bass, the superb top end. They are just amazing. I had the Magnepan 1.7i at the same time. These migth mot be a direct comp because of the price difference. But the Diptyque absolutely blew the Maggies, not only out of the same court, but the building, City and country. The difference is shockingly huge. The Maggies was like a small plasic speaker..

Im now looking at getting a pair of 140 Mk2. Thats how good the 107 was.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
First, sorry for the late replay. Have been using my time for a few life changing things.

What can I say about the 107 I had. Well the thing is, I just loved the speed and accuracy and speed of them. The deep and detailed bass, the superb top end. They are just amazing. I had the Magnepan 1.7i at the same time. These migth mot be a direct comp because of the price difference. But the Diptyque absolutely blew the Maggies, not only out of the same court, but the building, City and country. The difference is shockingly huge. The Maggies was like a small plasic speaker..

Im now looking at getting a pair of 140 Mk2. Thats how good the 107 was.

Diptyque are indeed amazing and the next level in terms of magnetostatic loudspeakers. We're awaiting both the Reference and the brand new DP 140MKII very soon here in Stockholm. Sweden.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Reactions: Young Skywalker

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I cut my ears on KLH 9s, then Magnepan Tympani IV and Levinson's HQDs, and later Infiniti Beta's. Although I am in the business and import "cone and dome" speakers from Europe my love for panels has not diminished. I recently heard Ron's Gryphon hybrids recently which was a blast and I hope to spend more time listening as he further dial them in.

While I have not heard the Clarysis or Diptyque's as yet, I confess to loving the Diptyque's modern European industrial design so there is a chance to get them in your living room after all men:)

Recently, a new entrant came to my attention (beautiful in their own right), Popori Acoustics electrostatics from Hungary. They offer a range of models and appear to be taking a run at establishing a new state of the art in electrostatics including 96db efficiency and a rated spl of 110db. I believe the larger models incorporate small ribbons to extend the high-frequencies and improve off axis dispersion. The speakers are imported into the US by Notable Audio Products in VA.

If I am not mistaken both Diptyque and Popori speakers will be shown at the Capital Audio Festival in November. Greg Takash of GTT Audio will also be attending showing with his latest full-range ribbon design which based upon my experience should be exceptional. If Clarisys joins it will be quite a display of panel firepower.

A new golden age in panels is truly upon us!

popori-acoustics-WR1-electrostatic-loudspeaker.jpg

Reactions: Fred Crane

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Reviving this old thread but any further thoughts about

Diptyque vs Alsyvox?

I heard two models from Alsyvox and thought they were fantastic . I’ll get to hear the Diptyque soon.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing