* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

A few detective roles with Sinatra
Tony Rome, The Detective, Lady in Cement.
He was a good fit IMHO for these roles. Fun to watch.

Lady in Cement ... sounds like a mafia movie. ...With Frank.
It's a sequel to the first Tony Rome film.
His character is a PI in Fla., of course the mob gets involved.
'The Detective' is based on a best selling novel from the early 60's. Controversial at the time. Both the book and movie.

Thanks Ron; Frank Sinatra's life is very interesting...he had connections with the mob in various countries.
...Makes for some good reading...and his acting in films even more captivating. ...And his voice...and he was an audiophile...with real stereo...three speakers...center one too.

* Watching a film right now (I just paused it for a midnight snack)...I'll tell more in the next 72 hours or less...if still alive.

Thanks Ron; Frank Sinatra's life is very interesting...he had connections with the mob in various countries.
...Makes for some good reading...and his acting in films even more captivating. ...And his voice...and he was an audiophile...with real stereo...three speakers...center one too.

* Watching a film right now (I just paused it for a midnight snack)...I'll tell more in the next 72 hours or less...if still alive.

What are you having for a snack Bob? A nice dungenous crab with melted butter and fresh squeezed lemon from Tofino?

What are you having for a snack Bob? A nice dungenous crab with melted butter and fresh squeezed lemon from Tofino?

Cool question Mike; I had cucumber and tomato slices on french crackers tartinade de foie gras et brie cheese. ...And with vegetable juice (V8 style) to make it all go down slow and easy. ...Stuffed olives too, on the side.

Other times, it's sour cream and onion potato chips with dips. ...I love sour cream too with baked potatoes...so I have that as a snack too occasionally.
Popcorn too, and cashews, and slices of ham and swiss cheese on small french buns from the oven.

I love movies, I love music, I love food, we all do. :b

Cool question Mike; I had cucumber and tomato slices on french crackers tartinade de foie gras et brie cheese. ...And with vegetable juice (V8 style) to make it all go down slow and easy. ...Stuffed olives too, on the side.

Other times, it's sour cream and onion potato chips with dips. ...I love sour cream too with baked potatoes...so I have that as a snack too occasionally.
Popcorn too, and cashews, and slices of ham and swiss cheese on small french buns from the oven.

I love movies, I love music, I love food, we all do. :b

Sounds delicious Bob :)

We watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel last night. Quite entertaining and relaxing.

The world is a trading place, since the very beginning of prehistory. It's always about trading; anything, everything.

Last night ::

133424_large.jpg

Based on a true story, and superbly acted and directed...Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg's collaboration.
That was a great initiative back then, by one man, who saw the value in one spy.

Well photographed, well scripted...overall: 90

Last word: Spielberg's films have always great to excellent value in them; 'Bridge of Spies' is another one.

Last edited:
We all have ups and downs; we don't have control over life's force of nature, and neither on humanity. We can only do our best in our own time...

Last night I watched this ::

141936_large.jpg

Great performance by Jake Gyllenhaal. He's improving his acting skills more and more with each film...I like him a lot.
Sure, we've seen similar stories in the past, and in real-life too, on TV, and like in football...CTE is very real, even more so in boxing.
? CTE: http://www.protectthebrain.org/Brain-Injury-Research/What-is-CTE-.aspx

The director, Antoine Fuqua, I love his films...his realistic vision...his storytelling style...raw and unedited.

I can relate to this film's message...big time, and I truly enjoyed it, immensely.

My own personal rating score (overall): 79.5 (and technically - visuals and music score & tunes & sound design - it complemented the onscreen action perfectly).

Last word: I recommend it, even if deja vu because of Jake's impressive performance, and the supporting cast. ...A very good film, packing a real punch.
It's up there. Take charge...raise your children well...give them true love.

Last edited:
There is a Second one too ::

Yeah, we know, it's on Netflix and in our To Watch List, but I think a sequel was unnecessary. Still, if it's relaxing and fun to watch, we'll enjoy it.

Every morning I wake up is a new day. Every night I watch a film is a new night.
Some mornings feel like a movie @ night, and some nights feel like a movie in the morning.
________

Last night ::

146513_large.jpg

Pure fantasy loaded with CGI effects...visually and auditory (encoded with DTS:X too - the Blu-ray).

Ok, it's not fantastic...far from it. It's simply too "childish", like a video game inside a nightmare.
Technically yeah it's Hollywood, and with a cast to support...but not used in their true efficiency.

I'm going to rate it only for the film value (what truly counts), and for me...overall: 22

Last word: Not the best...not for this crowd. ...Next.

______

Last edited:
Revisited.
Sorcerers Stone then
Chamber of Secrets

Again
Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire

Yes enjoyed immensely Spartacus 1960 Kubrick Restored to superb detail and colour--now running 3hr 16 mins---not forgetting the rerecorded Excellent Alex North Score

Highly recommended--great nostalgia!

BruceD

Attachments

• Spartacus.jpg
    Spartacus.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 211

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing