Last night I revisited this ::

It has a storyline, a good one.

? Overall (film's - animation - merit and BR's technical aspects, in 2D): 97

* Wish it was in 3D.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Some members here not only have the gear but also the software...eg.; Mike Lavigne (music), and other folks are very movie oriented (Criterion Collection Blu-rays and DVDs). There is that guy on another audio site who collects them. And another different guy, Theo (the pro home theater designer from New York); his movie collection is over 25,000 titles! DVDs and Blu-rays (HD DVDs probably too). And his own personal home theater is modest @ about $50,000 or so. For me he is a real movie lover @ home. ...And others are @ the theater (Steve for example).

Amir is on a bending spree right now, with music. :b ...That's cool because that experience will develop his musical taste even more.

In the music threads, some members here are truly hi-end musically. Andre was one of them...RIP.
Some of my best friends are....the ECM music record label lovers and Channel Classic, and the Criterion Collection movie lovers, ...PIXAR too, in 3D. :b

I did not mean to suggest that there are not music lovers who are equipment/system lovers [and vice versa]. For example, Mike Lavigne, our own Mr. Steve Williams. I am also not suggesting that being an "equipment-phile" is not a valid hobby. Each to their own.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bob:

I am going to go off topic here.

I actually applaud your approach. Most of us [at least on this forum] get so caught up in the stuff and the hardware and the placement and the room and the cables and the .... we forget about our alledged objective which is either the music and/or the film. You, on the other hand, seem to have the "more reasonable" priority. I won't and can't speak for anyone else on this forum, but when i was in the high end hardware audio business, with maybe a few exceptions (out of the hundreds of homes I visited), the amount of software was pretty pathetic given the huge amount of money tied up in the hardware. MAYBE a couple of hundred CD's and/or LP's and the typical system value in the homes I visited was well in excess of $40,000 and this was 20 years ago!!

There is nothing wrong with putting priority or equal importance on the delivery side but what cracks me up is virtually everyone saying "it's ALL about the music". Nonsense.

I'm not one of those. I do love music (maybe 1200 CD's) and movies (700 movies) but I confess I love the shinny metal and the lights and the technology and the setup and the tweeking, and the experimentation and the ....

Anyway, good for you and good for you that have decided to make new contacts and are stepping out.
Agree on all count including Bob's contributions here and elsewhere and his priorities. I am guilty of being hardware oriented in forums forever. But then a few months ago I became laser focused on music and it completely changed my outlook. I now come here to discover and share content more than anything else. Hardware discussions can be fun but they pale completely with discovery of great music after great music. I also feel a strong bond with people who have taught me and recommended such great music to me, something that was much harder to do with hardware discussions where folks line up across audio arguments.

So yes, the off-topic comment was merited. Bob sets the example here and we need more of it. Thanks for noting it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...pielberg-predicts-film-industry-meltdown.html

? http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ielberg-denies-predicting-hollywood-implosion

_______

* In roughly three more months this thread will celebrate its 5th anniversary.
And only five years ago, the big money makers (blockbusters) of over $1 billion+ weren't so many as they are today.
Many films today have budget of over $100 millions, over $150 millions, and even over $200 millions! ...That is incredible!
That is a huge entertainment business industry, after gun's sales and oil. ...People start wars, and then drive to their local IMAX theaters to watch the latest big movie.

Methinks there is no stop to this Hollywood movie machine. ...As long that reality is sad and full of destruction and corruption, all that et cetera ISIS terrorism jazz and racism and discrimination and suffering...no food no water...and passion with guns; movies are going to always remain the ultimate escape. More theaters are built every day on this globe. And more flat panels too; OLED UHD.

It is very hard (impossible) to be off topic in this thread. Because some documentaries are about everything that we can possibly imagine and not, including science fiction films and the ones based on true war events. ...Even the westerns made in America; cowboys versus Indians.

The film industry includes all; from fantasy adventures to animated flicks to real war documentaries happening in real time.
And movies are not only for entertainment but also for business.
And movies are moving photographs with music. The emotional impact is much more pronounced than with only music listening.

There is great joy/fun for the entire family, including the young ones with animated comedies, there is also great sadness in some dramas, there are some heartbreaking stories filmed on celluloid pellicule, and with sound to support them. ...Now we are fully integrated in the digital era with the hardcore nostalgia analog lovers from yesterday' in films as in music. ...It still remains to this day and even stronger with guys like Christopher Nolan and with some of today's turntable's designers.

What we invest in is in all our future; not ours, theirs. ...The ones not even here yet.
There are good films, there are bad films. There are films which open our eyes, and for those same films many cannot open them.
Many films promote violence to a boiling point of no return. Others are much more peaceful and socially equalized/balanced...for the heart and spirit and soul. Violence and non-violence, happiness and sadness, ...it seems that the opposites cannot live without each other.

Anyway, it's very hard to be off topic in this thread, because some documentary/films are about everything...sex, religion, drugs, wars, politics and rock&roll music. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched this last night, from the guy who directed 'The Grand Budapest Hotel'...Wes Anderson ::

It's something else...funny, different, very different...to the point of walking on a rope between two buildings far apart and only four feet off the ground.
I like the cast, the direction, and all.

Overall (film mainly, the Blu-ray attributes are secondary): 82

________

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yesterday was Friday, Black Friday all across North America, and Thanksgiving Friday in the USA (in Canada Thanksgiving was last month, so yesterday was business as usual).
In Europe, China, Japan, Australia, France, the Netherlands, Singapore, Kathmandu, Georgia, Iceland, Ireland, Greece, Rome, ...I just don't know if they have a shopping day like Black Friday, and if they have a Thanksgiving Day. Some other countries I bet they do. ...If not the same very similar where they have chicken soup or filet minion or lamb or baked potatoes or rice with vegetables or pancakes...any type of sacred food...omelettes with caviar. ...To celebrate and thank the earth for all the food supplies not reaching all the dying children everywhere over the globe from Ethiopia to Africa to Bangladesh... Some people they don't have a Black Friday where they go shopping for big discounts on used and broken equipment. They don't even have shopping malls. ...Not even a roof over their heads. For them it's Black Year 365/365 if they can make it to next Christmas. And even then many don't celebrate Christmas. Why would they, for peace on earth?

Anyway, last night I watched this (1967) ::

It's a tough film, poignant in the guts, disturbing, and based on real events.
Robert Blake is powerfully hypnotic; still is today, and not just in the movies.
Ya all know this flick already so I won't go through the details.

Technically it's the best picture quality and sound so far (B&W, scanned in 4K and with hi-res multichannel audio).
The film content, dramatization, its three acts, actor's performances, atmospheric strychnine, black and white cinematography, dialog, ... is there for all our imagination.

It's a tough one to rate overall, but I give it my best shot: 81 for the eerily drama/trauma.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Never saw that movie, don't even know what it's about, and probably never will.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Are you talking about IN COLD BLOOD? You're missing out IMO, but hey that's cool!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Bob, read the book and saw the film years ago. Chilling!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Does anyone have TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD on Blu-ray? How is it?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Ian, ever saw 'The Lion King'?

* 'In Cold Blood' is...brutal. ...The low downside of the human's deficiency @ one of its most extreme sickness.
But it is reality and it exists. ...Back then, and even still today one zillion times worst.

<> I sense, without conviction, that your comment about the film is straight to the point...in your own words?

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian, ever saw 'The Lion King'?

* 'In Cold Blood' is...brutal. ...The low downside of the human's deficiency @ one of its most extreme sickness.
But it is reality and it exists. ...Back then, and even still today one zillion times worst.

<> I sense, without conviction, that your comment about the film is straight to the point...in your own words?

I have seen the Lion King a number of times. So it shares some similarities?

I say I will probably never see In Cold Blood now because I don't want to, but because I'm being realistic. Despite having a very nice home theater I see so few movies the ones that I do see are modern releases. I still have not seen most classics such as:
Gone With the Wind
Mutiny on the Bounty
Casablanca
(Insert your fav classic here)

I saw the Godfather FINALLY last year and was not impressed (in fact I chuckled during the fight scenes they were so badly choreographed).

I have hundreds of Blu-rays sitting around waiting to be watched. I can't seem to sit still for more than an hour (e.g. one TV episode) because of my addiction to music. Maybe when I retire and have more time.'
This is not to say that I don't enjoy films, but I seem to prefer the better quality TV series these days. Perhaps because of the increased time allotted to character development.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
No, 'The Lion King' doesn't share any similarity with 'In Cold Blood'. ...I simply mentioned it because it first came up to my mind as a good animated film for the entire family and in contrast to 'In Cold Blood'. ...Also because the king of the jungle is the lion.
Some people never watch any type of violent films, ever. ...Catherine my neighbor for example.

I like your reply; we do what we do as the time allows us to sync with it.

* There are many films that I have never seen, there are many music recordings that I have never listened to, there are many cars that I have never driven, there are many wines that I have never tasted, there are many women ...

We do what we do ...

Casablanca (B&W) I've seen it, Gone with the Wind too, Mutiny on the Bounty...the Godfather trilogy.
I saw The Fifth Element, Lawrence of Arabia, Se7en, 12 Monkeys, Tideland, The Zero Theorem, Under the Skin, Birdman, Her, Mad Max: Fury Road 3D.
There are millions of films that I have never seen. ...Millions of music recordings that I have never listened to.

________

Last night I revisited ::

Overall: 88.5 (Always nice to revisit).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I certainly do Johnny (DigiBook). ...It is...fabulous! ...Part of any serious cinemaphile's film collection.
Thanks Bob! I think I'll pick it then. :)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
No, 'The Lion King' doesn't share any similarity with 'In Cold Blood'. ...I simply mentioned it because it first came up to my mind as a good animated film for the entire family and in contrast to 'In Cold Blood'. ...Also because the king of the jungle is the lion.
Some people never watch any type of violent films, ever. ...Catherine my neighbor for example.

I like your reply; we do what we do as the time allows us to sync with it.

* There are many films that I have never seen, there are many music recordings that I have never listened to, there are many cars that I have never driven, there are many wines that I have never tasted, there are many women ...

We do what we do ...

Casablanca (B&W) I've seen it, Gone with the Wind too, Mutiny on the Bounty...the Godfather trilogy.
I saw The Fifth Element, Lawrence of Arabia, Se7en, 12 Monkeys, Tideland, The Zero Theorem, Under the Skin, Birdman, Her, Mad Max: Fury Road 3D.
There are millions of films that I have never seen. ...Millions of music recordings that I have never listened to.

________

Last night I revisited ::

Overall: 88.5 (Always nice to revisit).

Ronin has a great car chase scene if I recall!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
'Ronin' is a little underrated I find; it's a great flick with some awesome synchronized action sequences, and yes, including that great car chase scene.
It is well constructed, captivating, ...it invites you in for a good ride. ...The actors are charismatic, the camera's angles fit the actor's performances; vivacious.
The film's score is also full of verve when the onscreen action is calling it for, and mysterious with the smooth operating scenes where you are wondering and have no clue @ all of what's going on and what's coming up. Even more than that, @ the end we never find out for who they worked for; the film remains mysterious even months and years after you watched it several times. Now, that's something else!

It has high panache and history to the bone's core. ...High density unknown territory.
You can call that an underworld flick for the initiated. ...Pros.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

I have never seen it either, BUT I do remember when it came on TV and my parents watched it (I was 5), they made us kids go to the neighbors house, they didn't even want us to hear it through the walls.

That was enough to make me never want to watch it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing