* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

R.I.P. Tony

* He was a great filmmaker; I missed him a lot, and his brother Ridley too missed him a lot. ...They both directed Denzel and many more great actors.
Tony's style I like a lot too; freestyle, moving pictures and music. ...Great family of true artists, ...the Scott family.

Agreed, great director, even back in 1993, Anthony David Scott made rookie Q.Tarantino proud ...
MV5BMTMxMTM3MDIwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDYyOTUyMg@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Last night I revisited this ::

1196_large.jpg

Directed by Bernardo Bertolucci (1987). ...A cinematic masterpiece: 96.75

* I am checking for a 3D version, on Blu, the best one.

^^ fine film IMHO
Last night another view of LB's Lucy

Hey Bob, I hear Van was knighted!

I love 'Lucy' ... directed by Luc Besson.

"Can we conclude that humans are more concerned with 'having' than 'being'?" ... "Life seems to have one single purpose - gaining time.". - Morgan Freeman

This is great news Ron. :b

Van Morrison : Sir George Ivan "Van" Morrison | Consequence of Sound

Last edited:
It's that type of weekend, starting last night, with 'A Fistful of Dollars' (1964) ::

126832_large.jpg

* Three more to go for this anthology, and only then a rating score. ...And one of them is a 4K remastered Blu-ray (individual - Good, Bad & Ugly).

- Tonight: 'For a Few Dollars More' (1965).
- And last, after 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' (1966), ... 'A Fistful of Dynamite', or 'Duck, you Sucker!', or 'Once Upon a Time... the Revolution' (1971).

And that last one from this anthology is part of 'Once Upon a Time' trilogy. ...'In the West' (1968), ...'In America' (1984).

Last edited:
Mine is still in the wrapper!!!

Funny story. When someone referenced this a week or so ago, I went looking for it but could not find it. Knew I had ordered it on Amazon. Checked and it said delivered but try as I might, I could not find it. Having had packages get lost before, I filed a complaint with them and they immediately shipped me another one. It arrives, I unwrap it and go to put it on the shelf of movies to watch, and there it was, my previous copy! How embarrassing. I let Amazon know and they said to keep the second copy free of charge!

Amazon is good for that. There have been a few times where I have accidentally ordered two of the same BlueRay or CD, and Amazon has said to keep it and credited me for the second copy. I guess they figure they save money by not having to physically deal with a returned disk.

Anyway, I have finally gotten around to watching Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes.

91i1Y3sdJQL._SX522_.jpg

It's that type of weekend, starting last night, with 'A Fistful of Dollars' (1964) ::

128013_large.jpg

* Three more to go for this anthology, and only then a rating score. ...And one of them is a 4K remastered Blu-ray (individual - Good, Bad & Ugly).

- Tonight: 'For a Few Dollars More' (1965).
- And last, after 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' (1966), ... 'A Fistful of Dynamite', or 'Duck, you Sucker!', or 'Once Upon a Time... the Revolution' (1971).

And that last one from this anthology is part of 'Once Upon a Time' trilogy. ...'In the West' (1968), ...'In America' (1984).

Done; last night was 'Duck, you Sucker!' ...That one, and 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' are the two best ones from this 4-film anthology.
But overall it was fun to revisit those four flicks from the maestro "spaghetti westerns" 'cinemaficionado' Sergio Leone. ...And the music scores by Ennio Morricone added immensely with the actors performing their chops. ...And the close-ups and the vistas.

? Overall rating score for all four films together ('The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' was a different BR version; 4K remastered), technically and entertainment value: 85.0

-----
83758_large.jpg

If you haven't seen ? this one, you missed a good part of Leone's quadrilogy.

Last edited:
Mon
'The Naked Prey'
This was favorite on the tube growing up, but highly edited for that medium.

Last night
'The Insider'
Corporate America at work

Last night (on Blu) ::

96802_large.jpg

? Dialog-free black and white documentary directed by Godfrey Reggio and music composed by Philip Glass. ...Freestyle.
Overall rating score (personal emotional level): 66.5 (out of 100).

_________

Last night ::

110061_large.jpg

It's an action/comedy flick. It's ok, it's UK, it's reminiscent of a juicer with few ingredients; James Bond, Kick Ass, John Wick, and some other secret ingredient.
Overall (technical and entertainment value): 72.5

______

Last edited:
I caught the opening act of Kingsman and hope to check out the film soon.

In loo of recent fairytale like leeward gales; I'm watching this Kenneth Branagh vehicle tonight ...
MV5BMjMxODYyODEzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDk4OTU0MzE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Last night
Oceans 11
Tonight
Oceans 12

On Leone, Bob those were enjoyable films, but I'm more of a fan of the 'Once upon a Time' tales

On Leone, Bob those were enjoyable films, but I'm more of a fan of the 'Once upon a Time' tales

Me too Ron; 'Once Upon a Time in the West', 'Once Upon a Time...the Revolution' and 'Once Upon a Time in America'.

? Last night I watched this ::

118458_large.jpg

I really enjoyed the ride. The three (four) main actors are pros, the action scenes are surgically performed, no shaky camera work here (my type of flick), ...brief I simply let myself flow with the actor's chops. ...Smoothly.

Overall technical and entertainment value for this Blu-ray: 77.5
I recommend it, no sweat. ...This is serious fun @ the movies, in your own home.

_______

Last edited:

118458_large.jpg

I recommend it, no sweat. ...This is serious fun @ the movies, in your own home.
_______

130894_front.jpg

______

Funny! we just watched Kingsman last weekend and then watched Taken 3 last nite!!! Also so Guardians of the Galaxy...thought all 3 were good fun!

105043_large.jpg

Borderline; tough humor, not for all taste. Still, 65.0 ...just enough to have a visit with Charlize, and the over-the-top humor.

_____

Who am I kidding? ...You gotta see this, if you haven't already.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it, and it was just a DVD Netflix rental. :)

Bought it when it was released on Blu-ray, but I didn't have a player at the time. Then I forgot about it! Haha! Came across it yesterday afternoon and watched it last night. I really enjoyed it.

Gravity.jpg

Me too Ron; 'Once Upon a Time in the West', 'Once Upon a Time...the Revolution' and 'Once Upon a Time in America'.

118458_large.jpg

I really enjoyed the ride. The three (four) main actors are pros, the action scenes are surgically performed, no shaky camera work here (my type of flick), ...brief I simply let myself flow with the actor's chops. ...Smoothly.

Overall technical and entertainment value for this Blu-ray: 77.5

_______

I enjoyed it, too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing