mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Wow...hardly faint praise from a guy who's heard just about everything out there..

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I am a fan of devialet

my only criticism, which most reviews seem to miss is it works best in a digital source priority system

other than JA's review of phono

most others seem to not even discuss analog inputs

this meet be that they don't see buyers with analog sources

but would be nice to have comments on the ad da perfomance

if there are reviews discussing this please post links

thx A

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I am a fan of devialet

my only criticism, which most reviews seem to miss is it works best in a digital source priority system

other than JA's review of phono

most others seem to not even discuss analog inputs

this meet be that they don't see buyers with analog sources

but would be nice to have comments on the ad da perfomance

if there are reviews discussing this please post links

thx A

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/the-devialet-200-review-hifi-at-its-finest/

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks Dan

But i see no mention of him using the analog inputs, other than the phono

This was covered as I said by JA

It also has several inaccuracies in it

Such as suggesting it goes from class A to D, which is not correct and misses the whole point of ADH output stage lol

" Called ADH®, for Analog Digital Hybrid, this patented topology connects a small, high-voltage, but low-power class-A amplifier directly to the speaker, with then a parallel class-D stage providing the necessary current. This is reminiscent of the innovative "current-dumping" circuit developed by Quad in the mid-1970s, though the Quad circuit used a class-AB current amplifier. However, the AHD circuit differs significantly in detail from Quad's, and is considerably more complex. Extraordinarily, there only two resistors and two capacitors in the analog signal path! " JA's description

Also it may take many MCs with different loadings, but its MM stage has some funny loading values ? what is high

"The D-Premier's phono input preserved absolute polarity (ie, was non-inverting) in both MM and MC modes. Set to MC, the highest choice of input impedance was 460 ohms; I measured 461 ohms. In MM mode, the highest input impedance is unhelpfully called "High." I measured 14k ohms at 20Hz and 1kHz, dropping slightly to 12k ohms at 20kHz. This might bit too low for Shure cartridges, which like to see 68k ohms. " From JA's measurments

This is probably more important than loadings for MCs !!!

So still nothing on the analog inputs

It also flies in the face of Alan Sircum saying the phonostage was good but not great

Having said that, I personally thought the phonostage very good( as did JA), and I think a posting saying the purity of the output stage and the short length of the signal path, made up for shortcomings in the ADC, of analog, being digitised which at 24/192 is probably pretty transparent anyway

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
For what it's worth, when I had the Devialet 200 on loan I used the analogue outs from my Wadia to the analogue in of the Dev. This seems perverse, but I don't have the digital board on my Wadia and I really wanted to test how the Devialet worked as an amp. In short, I thought it was excellent, and despite the convoluted process of Digital -> Analogue -> Digital -> Analogue it remains the most transparent sound I've ever heard in my system. I had a very brief attempt at playing digital files from a laptop using the USB input and to my ears that lost a little something in comparison with what I've described above, but I had made no effort to get the best out of that setup so it can probably be disregarded.

In any case, I came *very* close to buying a Devialet purely as an analogue amplifier, and in many ways I regret not doing so.

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
I bought a D-Premier about 4 years ago and added a second to make a dual mono a few months later.
I have tried the analogue inputs with FM tuner, Goldmund Mimesis 22 DAC, Goldmund PH2 phono stage and Revox B77.
I have tried the phono input both the MC input and MM using my Ortofon Jubilee and A90 both directly or via my T3000 transformer.
In my opinion the Devialet is the most transparent amplifier I have heard, whether analogue or digital inputs are used.
I am hoping to try the analogue input with one of the "idiosyncratically" designed DACs to see whether its character is transparently reproduced by the Devialet. I would expect so based on my experience with the other anlogue sources whose character was revealed clearly by the Devialet.
I had the D-Premiers updated to the new model and now have a Devialet 800!
I was in two minds whether to do it since I lost the HDMI input and the optical input spec is lower. Fortunately for me Devialet were able to fit a 24/192 optical input to one of my units so I effectively only lost the HDMI input.
There is a bigger power supply, more DSP capability and USB and ethernet inputs added, neither of which I have tried.
I have largely given up on streaming because of the inconvenience of using it with classical recordings so mainly listen to LPs and CDs.
The amp replaced a DAC/preamp/monos/cables which would cost perhaps 5x more if bought new today.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I bought a D-Premier about 4 years ago and added a second to make a dual mono a few months later.
I have tried the analogue inputs with FM tuner, Goldmund Mimesis 22 DAC, Goldmund PH2 phono stage and Revox B77.
I have tried the phono input both the MC input and MM using my Ortofon Jubilee and A90 both directly or via my T3000 transformer.
In my opinion the Devialet is the most transparent amplifier I have heard, whether analogue or digital inputs are used.
I am hoping to try the analogue input with one of the "idiosyncratically" designed DACs to see whether its character is transparently reproduced by the Devialet. I would expect so based on my experience with the other anlogue sources whose character was revealed clearly by the Devialet.
I was in two minds whether to do it since I lost the HDMI input and the optical input spec is lower. Fortunately for me Devialet were able to fit a 24/192 optical input to one of my units so I effectively only lost the HDMI input.
There is a bigger power supply, more DSP capability and USB and ethernet inputs added, neither of which I have tried.
I have largely given up on streaming because of the inconvenience of using it with classical recordings so mainly listen to LPs and CDs.
The amp replaced a DAC/preamp/monos/cables which would cost perhaps 5x more if bought new today.

If I needed any more convincing ... ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Can we know what are your speakers?

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
Can we know what are your speakers?

My main speakers have been Goldmund Epilog 1&2 since they were released. Last year I bought some Tune Audio Anima horns too. Neither made in sufficient quantity for SAM to be worthwhile for Devialet, and the Anima couldn't be measured in the way necessary either, apparently.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My main speakers have been Goldmund Epilog 1&2 since they were released. Last year I bought some Tune Audio Anima horns too. Neither made in sufficient quantity for SAM to be worthwhile for Devialet, and the Anima couldn't be measured in the way necessary either, apparently.

Thanks. You have the ancestors of the Magico Q series - FrantzM will be delighted to know and even more convinced!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing