Decca LPs Pimple Defects

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Found these defects on a number of Decca LPs (see pictures). Anyone else came across such defects? Suppose nothing can be done and these LPs are not playable?

Attachments

• Bump1.png
    Bump1.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Bump2.png
    Bump2.png
    109.5 KB · Views: 13

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Found these defects on a number of Decca LPs (see pictures). Anyone else came across such defects? Suppose nothing can be done and these LPs are not playable?
Yes, depending on how big the dimples are. Small ones create a thump, but the cartridge can track them. Larger ones cause the cartridge to skip. If they are just in the dead wax, then you can play the record and depending on whether the dimple is in the groove, you can lift the cartridge up right at the end. I have a very large number of Decca (your Curzon/Solti is a London, but it definitely is an early Decca pressing from New Malden), roughly 5000 Decca family (including Decca, London, Argo, L'Oiseau Lyre and Decca pressed Lyrita) records. Don't remember any with dimples that wouldn't track. I'm sure there may have been a few. I bought the vast majority used from record shops and dealers in London or the US. So I could inspect them before buying them.

Larry

Reactions: leyenda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing