Stamper number on Decca LPs

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I read on line that the dead wax marking at the nine o'clock position of Decca LPs refers to the mother number coming from a particular lacquer, and the marking at the three o'clock position refers to the stamper number coming from that mother. On my copy of the Solti Beethoven ninth from 1972, at nine o'clock, there is a 2 and a B. This could mean the second mother of the lacquer ? Anyone know what the B means ? At three o'clock, I see K and G. Using the Buckingham code, this refers to 4 and 7. Does it mean this is the 47th stamper from that mother ? This seems a lot, as I thought a mother usually only produces about 10 stampers. Or could it be referring to the 47th stamper of the whole production run ?

Attachments

• IMG_3978.jpg
    IMG_3978.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3977.jpg
    IMG_3977.jpg
    1,001.1 KB · Views: 7

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I read on line that the dead wax marking at the nine o'clock position of Decca LPs refers to the mother number coming from a particular lacquer, and the marking at the three o'clock position refers to the stamper number coming from that mother. On my copy of the Solti Beethoven ninth from 1972, at nine o'clock, there is a 2 and a B. This could mean the second mother of the lacquer ? Anyone know what the B means ? At three o'clock, I see K and G. Using the Buckingham code, this refers to 4 and 7. Does it mean this is the 47th stamper from that mother ? This seems a lot, as I thought a mother usually only produces about 10 stampers. Or could it be referring to the 47th stamper of the whole production run ?

KG is 47th stamper 2 is mother.

do you have a matrix at 6 o clock? They used to have the lacquer number and engineer letter in the last two positions.

i like the Solti 9th and use it for auditions but it was never as good sounding as the older collectibles.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
KG is 47th stamper 2 is mother.

do you have a matrix at 6 o clock? They used to have the lacquer number and engineer letter in the last two positions.

i like the Solti 9th and use it for auditions but it was never as good sounding as the older collectibles.
The matrix indicates it was the second lacquer cut by Harry Fisher.

Attachments

• IMG_3976.jpg
    IMG_3976.jpg
    782.6 KB · Views: 4

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing