DCS Vivaldi

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I just installed it. Coming from network board version 325...I'll post more in a few hours

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I just installed it. Coming from network board version 325...I'll post more in a few hours

Listened to a few tracks over about 90 minutes. Seems more open, transparent and better leading edge dynamics. I have to admit I haven't listened to my NAS and Ethernet input if a few weeks...been using the transport recently. So maybe I'm just missing the higher res files ?? What do others think?

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
I updated network board to v350 today and also DAC to v2.02. Hope to get some listening time in later today

Here is info I heard on network board update. The new network firmware has a pile of small-ish bug fixes, improves Roon endpoint cohabitation with UPnP endpoint code, and improves functionality and stability of use with App... no MQA or other "big stuff" quite yet, but a few owners have reported better sound than the previous SDK version.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I updated to v2.02 last night and listened this morning. Not sure if it's expectation bias but I thought it sounded very very good.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I think the network card change would have more of a change in sonics vs. the 2.02 update

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I think the network card change would have more of a change in sonics vs. the 2.02 update

I did notice it on the network card. Also my "complaints" about Roon also seem to have been fixed for the most part. I need to listen more vs Minimserver, but can for sure say the gaps been seriously closed for me.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Thats good to hear....

I'm using 350 and 2.01.

What is everyone using for settings on roon?

Mine:
DXD
Resync delay 1000ms

Most of the resolution changes when in shuffle seem to be gone

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Thats good to hear....

I'm using 350 and 2.01.

What is everyone using for settings on roon?

Mine:
DXD
Resync delay 1000ms

Most of the resolution changes when in shuffle seem to be gone

I have pretty much all Roon signal processing disabled and leverage upsampler to convert all PCM to DXD and pass through DSD or DSDx2 source material to DAC unchanged

I did reduce Resync to 1000ms after update....much improved. I am also installing ROCK enabled NUC tomorrow to take my study iMac out of the path as it now currently is the core. Looking forward to seeing how that changes things

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I had the Vivaldi DAC (v2.01) today in my system for the whole ... 60 minutes :)

I have connected the Vivaldi DAC via USB to the Aurender W20.

What I have noted vs my Lampizator Golden Gate (the original version, without the superclocks or the new USB board) is that the vivaldi:

- offeres more see-through transparency;
- has more resolution;
- has vastly improved bass articulation (GG bass sounds bloated in comparison);
- has a bit less 'meat on the bones', sounding a bit leaner and less palpable.

I liked what I've heard. The differences between the two are quite stark and easy to tell. They are also consitent from PCM to DSD. I need to borrow one from the distributor for a little longer.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had the Vivaldi DAC (v2.01) today in my system for the whole ... 60 minutes :)

What I have noted vs my Lampizator Golden Gate (the original version, without the superclocks or the new USB board) is that the vivaldi:

- has more resolution;

I liked what I've heard. The differences between the two are quite stark and easy to tell. They are also consitent from PCM to DSD. I need to borrow one from the distributor for a little longer.

very, very interesting. Which do you prefer? If you can keep only one...which one would it be? And is it a fairly easy decision...or is it a 'photo finish' race?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I have pretty much all Roon signal processing disabled and leverage upsampler to convert all PCM to DXD and pass through DSD or DSDx2 source material to DAC unchanged

I did reduce Resync to 1000ms after update....much improved. I am also installing ROCK enabled NUC tomorrow to take my study iMac out of the path as it now currently is the core. Looking forward to seeing how that changes things

Our settings are identical.....Interested to hear what the NUC/ROCK does sonically, if anything.......

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

- has more resolution;

I felt exactly the same when I took the Vivaldi out of the box, using the standard demo $5 digital cables and compared it to the Metronome tubed DAC. But you have to be careful - once we get used to the "truth" according to the Vivaldi, it is difficult to go back, particularly what I call the impressive "mastertape solidity" - something that a well matched SME30 also had in my system. But the Vivaldi is a real diva, like the old ESL63, everything becomes centered on it to extract all its exceptional performance.

Today I was listening to Mozart Clarinet Quintet in CD (Academy of St Martin in the Fields chamber ensemble) - Antony Pay clarinet was so correctly integrated in the strings that I could move in the room without loosing contact with the music. Many excellent digital players sound correct mainly when you are in the sweet spot - the Vivaldi seems to be able to create a much larger listening zone.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

- has more resolution;

Hi Adam, the differences between the latest and original version of the GG are very, very significant indeed. Any chance that you can compare an up to date GG with the Vivaldi dac?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

- has more resolution;

reminds me of my perceptions, 6 months ago, between the fully updated GG (with KR242's and Tak recti) and the Aqua Formula both on the SGM. I'm not equating (one way or another) the Aqua Formula to the Vivaldi in ultimate refinement terms, but likely the presentation contrasts relative to the GG is similar. I would add that the Aqua had a greater sense of space too (not mentioned by Adam), and more than sufficient 'meat on the bones' in terms of mid range weight (not as much as the GG).....but overall leaner and more agile than the GG.

I strongly felt it had much to do with the system synergy going on; the Aqua playing more to what my system does and can fully utilize. the GG just gets a little bit in the way of the system flow......for all it's musical beauty going on.

horses for courses and all that + personal taste/sonic compass.

just my 2 cents worth.

too many dots to connect to relate it to the MSB Select II.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
very, very interesting. Which do you prefer? If you can keep only one...which one would it be? And is it a fairly easy decision...or is it a 'photo finish' race?

I don't know just yet. I need to listen more to draw any solid conclusions. I have certainly liked what I've heard - certainly enough to warrant further investigation. I've been in this hobby long enough to learn that it is not the things that you like at first listen are essential for long term music satisfaction. I may miss the uncanny palpability and midrange weight that GG provides longterm.

I need to get my Lampi up to spec before any further comparos. I'm leaving for 2 weeks in August for an Elbrus expedition (the highest peak in Europe), so will probably drop my GG to ?ukasz for updates then.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

- has more resolution;

I assume this with PX4? Also running it direct? Because I don't think GG built in VC is good enough (which is why I don't use it). The differences you mention will not change upping spec (Lampi clock or USB board) but will change with tubes or external preamp

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I'm running the WE101D replicas and the Emission Labs recti.

I had both DACs connected directly to the D'Agostino Momentum Stereo - which is my main amp now. Vivaldi was set to 0.6V output, so most listening was done with 0dB to -6dB digital attenuation.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
EML recti was weak with less bass and bloat as compared tohe special KR recti. Bill and I sold ours off immediately after listening to the special KR recti. Which is now what most like Christoph etc are using.

The 101D replicas are not good enough at this level. They are dynamic and detailed, but they lack tone, are lean, and are relatively flat planed as compared to the better valves.

I would suggest borrowing KR 242 (which, if it works with the gain, will jump performance up multi times), KR PX25, and the special Lampi EML 45s from Lukasz for a trial. Of the latter two, one or the other works better in most systems

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In the absence of a preamp there is a gain/voltage match that you are doing, and the Vivaldi adjustments will let you do that better than the Lampi which has no adjustment but where you can get Lukasz to customize the output voltage/gain to suit your Dagostinos - the valves will help in that regard as well

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

- has more resolution;

Interesting. And that configuration is likely the most challenging for the Vivaldi. I'd try it with Dual AES from Aurender and the Vivaldi DAC I know needs to on for about 2-3 days to warm up properly and sound best...I'm guessing these two items may improve the "meat on the bones" aspect...any chance you can try a clock or upsampler next time as well?

Thanks for posting your impressions.

PS curios what mapper and filters you were using?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing