DaVa FC-A1 a field coil contender

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
That new DaVa Soul was announced on FB a little while ago.
Yes, and it has a microridge stylus. I was always wondering why they have chosen conical and not a more advanced profile. I think if they kept the rest of the qualities and could put in the more advance profile, it is great. It also has lower tracking force which is good for the collection.

Still, I am to setup my Dava FC. Having a baby takes about 100 more times than I thought :)

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, and it has a microridge stylus. I was always wondering why they have chosen conical and not a more advanced profile.

Darius will be the first to tell you that a vdh profile will sound more detailed than his conical profile but the killing of Eddy currents by his field coil design will make the conical Dava sound more detailed than the vdh. So just looking at stylus profile is only one thing. (Btw I had actually asked him that question)

well now we have both micro ridge diamond and the conical cactus. I haven’t heard the new one so will be good to hear what it does. Agree on the lower tracking force

Reactions: Johan K
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
The Soul will still have cactus cantilever
Also the weight will be 8-10g less
I´ll get mine in ult june.....It will go in the Eugene Komissarow arm and the Ref will go in Bokrand DaVa version
the most interesting will probably be testing The Soul in my Airtangent Reference, now that the cart weighs substantially less with higher compliance

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Soul will still have cactus cantilever
Also the weight will be 8-10g less
I´ll get mine in ult june.....It will go in the Eugene Komissarow arm and the Ref will go in Bokrand DaVa version
the most interesting will probably be testing The Soul in my Airtangent Reference, now that the cart weighs substantially less with higher compliance

the Air tangent will move with the wires from the PSU without issue?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
yes I think so.....the dc wires can just "hang" above cart, instead of going in the signal wire loop
or dc can be sent in gnd cable in a special arrangement obliterating separate dc wires

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
“The soul of DaVa

I had been waiting for an idea in my head how to make DaVa version with modern shape of diamond for the several years,and i was about to lose hope.The construction of all DaVa models made before had the coil wich changed area dramatically in magnetic field on high compilance. So, it could be used on low compilance with conical stylus only. One day , when I was walking along the beach near the sea( seemed being relaxed of my work), got an idea - I could not think what to do with it at first, how had to construct it, but then I thought of single transductor module attached to the front of cantilever . And voila - the new field coil DaVa Soul was born...

DaVa Soul weighs 14gr., microridge stylus,VTF - 2-2,5 gr. It's ideal for tracking and better preserving vinyl records. This cartridge keeps DaVa's musicality, but has even more micro details as well( the trial version was made and presented at ETF with microridge diamond). The DaVa Soul reproduces extra harmonics in music and clean transparent sound. The bass is more extended and nuanced. It must be surprise for the DaVa fans and lovers.”

IMG_2862.jpeg

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
IMG_2863.jpeg

wart

Sep 28, 2021
Darius will be the first to tell you that a vdh profile will sound more detailed than his conical profile but the killing of Eddy currents by his field coil design will make the conical Dava sound more detailed than the vdh. So just looking at stylus profile is only one thing. (Btw I had actually asked him that question)

well now we have both micro ridge diamond and the conical cactus. I haven’t heard the new one so will be good to hear what it does. Agree on the lower tracking force
In new model "Soul" he had to make new casing, new suspension, new field coil assembly and new stylus assembly (new winding method). Quite a journey to get to 14 grams including weight field coil.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway
I have an unused output on my PSU, but not for long. I am happy to announce that a DaVa mono has been ordered with an ETA of latest october and best case this summer. Decided I did not need nor want 3 sterero carts in my 3 arms.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
IMG_2880.jpeg IMG_2881.jpeg

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
congrats
I run my DaVa mono into a DaVa mono cu SUT, which drives both channels in Riaa section
It´s mounted in The Peak 12" from Stefano Bertoncello, in a Fidelity Research B-60VTA base with larger, heavier bronze nut and an aluminium headshell from Eugene Komissarow
wiring is vintage Litz cu cable

Last edited:

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Unfortunately premature. Darius posted these photos on FB. Don’t think Soul is selling yet.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Hello everyone. I'm dying to hear one of these legendary cartridges play. someone who owns it in southern Italy or in the rest of the peninsula is available for an audition... Salve a tutti. Sto morendo dalla voglia di sentire suonare uno di queste mitiche cartucce. qualcuno che la possiede nel sud Italia o nel resto della penisola è disponibile per un’audizione……

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing