Dartzeel vs. Ayre

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
With my Ayre KXR pre in my current set up , my friend that been in the Hi end audio Business over 40 years, who also has set up 100 hundreds of Phono turntables and tone arms. He thinks It sounds like Tubes.

So would that be 10,000 or 20,000 tables and arms he has set up?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
So would that be 10,000 or 20,000 tables and arms he has set up?

I can't quite figure your math Mark :confused:

Sammy merely said that he has set up hundreds of TT's and arms. I believe it was a typo. Nothing more

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It was a joke Steve. 100 hundred would be 100 x100 =10,000. If it really was hundreds it would be 100 x200 =20,000.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Hundred 1. a cardinal number , ten times ten
2. a set of this many persons or things : a hundred of men , a hundred of guns

Hundreds 1. a number between 100 and 999 . Wow , It could very well be over 1000 in count!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Jeff, I never implied you said you did, I was just curious of your impressions of the equipment, that's all...

alexandre

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I've heard plenty of Ayre gear including MX-R and KX-R. All very fine sounding equipment. I'd be more interested in the KX-R if it had at least one phono input built in (and the luxury of adding another like the Dart).

I really like the sound of the Dart preamp as well, I just wish they'd make a stereo amp with a bit more power. The monoblocks are way out of my price range.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
You're not alone... I believe they are working on a pair of mono's that will sit in between the 108 and 458's. Wouldn't that be something!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, darTZeel knows there has to be something between the 108 and the 458. It's in the works, as I understand...

alexandre

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Yes, darTZeel knows there has to be something between the 108 and the 458. It's in the works, as I understand...

alexandre

As well as a more powerful stereo amp should be coming :cool:

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
All so looked at Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp. Three chassis design , too many boxes for my setup.

There are advantages with using separate stages , Chris Hanson work is very highly regarded amongst his peers , apart from the gold anodization , I really don't see the "deal " vs Ayre. Both are well made , I do prefer the Ayre pre-amp layout to the Dartzeel and Pass 3 box layout over both ..

"technically " speaking that is .... !!!

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
On my speaker, the Mx-r was very disappointing. I don't know why. All I can say is that the bass disappeared and tipped the tonal balance toward the treble. I couldn't listen to it longer than a day and sent it back. They are very beautiful though.

I used to have Dartzeel. Dartzeel is a great amp but not suited for all speakers. When I had YG Carmels, the CTH-8550 was the perfect mate. But when I got the Anat III, the Dartzeel had to go. I still miss it sometimes, but it lost its dynamics with the Anat III.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
89db. I've noticed the same thing with other amps with smallish power supplies and higher than normal output impedance for solid state. I also tried out the Rowland 625 and got the same thing as the MX-R; bass disappeared. The Rowland and the Ayre have pretty high output impedance for SS amps.

For some reason, the Anat III really likes amps with lower output impedance and/or bigger power supply.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
dallasjustice,

And what are you using now with your Anat IIIs?
And if I may ask, I read elsewhere you had an MMThree... How would you compare the MM3 to the Anat III?

thanks,
alexandre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
89db. I've noticed the same thing with other amps with smallish power supplies and higher than normal output impedance for solid state. I also tried out the Rowland 625 and got the same thing as the MX-R; bass disappeared. The Rowland and the Ayre have pretty high output impedance for SS amps.

For some reason, the Anat III really likes amps with lower output impedance and/or bigger power supply.

What about Soulution?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
What about Soulution?
Myles,
You can obviously read minds. :). I have considered the 710 seriously.

The 710 looks like a great match. However, I also want to extend the dynamic range of my speakers in the mid and low mid area. I doubt the 710 can do that more so than the BMC monoblocks. I am "attempting" to audition the Krell 600e. It's not easy though but I think McKiegan is going to try to make it happen some how; We will see.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
On my speaker, the Mx-r was very disappointing. I don't know why. All I can say is that the bass disappeared and tipped the tonal balance toward the treble. I couldn't listen to it longer than a day and sent it back. They are very beautiful though.

I used to have Dartzeel. Dartzeel is a great amp but not suited for all speakers. When I had YG Carmels, the CTH-8550 was the perfect mate. But when I got the Anat III, the Dartzeel had to go. I still miss it sometimes, but it lost its dynamics with the Anat III.

have you heard an amp you've liked on the Anat III?

i assume you have since you bought them.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
have you heard an amp you've liked on the Anat III?

It's not a question of liking or not liking the Anat III. I believe the Anat III is the best speaker I've ever heard and gives me the greatest resolution imaginable. I am simply looking to extend the performance of the Anat III by finding the best amplifier match. I am currently using the BMC M1 monoblocks. The BMC is, far and away, the best amp I've heard on these speakers so far. I have had the following amps in my room with the Anat III:

Luxman M-600a; mono and stereo
Luxman M-800a
Rogue Medusa
ASR Emitter II, blue, gold boards
Dartzeel CTH-8550
Ayre MX-R
Rowland 625
BMC M1 monoblocks

I've got a pretty good idea what type of amp works best with my speakers. That's why I am interested in hearing the Krell 600e. I know some folks don't like Krell on their speakers. That's fine. I am just interested in making my system sound the best I can. I am sure the Soulution 710 would be a nice match, but I doubt it would be any more dynamic than the BMCs.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's not a question of liking or not liking the Anat III. I believe the Anat III is the best speaker I've ever heard and gives me the greatest resolution imaginable. I am simply looking to extend the performance of the Anat III by finding the best amplifier match. I am currently using the BMC M1 monoblocks. The BMC is, far and away, the best amp I've heard on these speakers so far. I have had the following amps in my room with the Anat III:

Luxman M-600a; mono and stereo
Luxman M-800a
Rogue Medusa
ASR Emitter II, blue, gold boards
Dartzeel CTH-8550
Ayre MX-R
Rowland 625
BMC M1 monoblocks

I've got a pretty good idea what type of amp works best with my speakers. That's why I am interested in hearing the Krell 600e. I know some folks don't like Krell on their speakers. That's fine. I am just interested in making my system sound the best I can. I am sure the Soulution 710 would be a nice match, but I doubt it would be any more dynamic than the BMCs.

Lotsa good amps on that list. I've been intrigued by what I've heard out of the Luxman amps on the Vivid speakers. What did you think about them on the YGs?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing