Dartzeel vs. Ayre

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Sorry, you're right, I meant to say the XP-20 pre.
The confusion was made because I also heard the XP-25, in my own system, and liked it very much. I just didn't think it was a significant step-up from the built-in phono stage in the darTZeel pre.

alexandre

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
And, to be fair, here are some pics of the NHB-18NS. IMHO, even better than the Ayre.

In what way is it better? Chassis? (Note even the wiring channels are milled in the Ayre) Circuit boards? (Note the ceramic in the Ayre) What are you seeing? Or do you just "like" it better?

Just curious . . .

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Jeff,

Have you tried the rotary knobs on a darTZeel? THAT is what I mean. I just like the way the darTZeel is setup with individual circuit boards for each input. And the same care is taken with the insides of the machine as with the outside (same polish).
And because I said I believe the swiss stuff is better doesn't mean the Ayre stuff is sub-par.

alexandre

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Jeff,

Have you tried the rotary knobs on a darTZeel? THAT is what I mean. I just like the way the darTZeel is setup with individual circuit boards for each input. And the same care is taken with the insides of the machine as with the outside (same polish).
And because I said I believe the swiss stuff is better doesn't mean the Ayre stuff is sub-par.

alexandre

So you like the look and the feel. Fair enough. You said "flimsy," when, by all accounts, the Ayre KX-R's chassis is simply state of the art . . . even compared to the DarTZeel.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If you say so, and that was your impression, that's cool.
I know which one I prefer :D
And Jeff, have you heard the darTZeel?

alexandre

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
If you say so, and that was your impression, that's cool.
I know which one I prefer :D
And Jeff, have you heard the darTZeel?

alexandre

No, never said I did. I was just responding to "flimsy."

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
index_02.jpg

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Clearly anything that is milled out of a solid block of aluminium is going to be less 'flimsy' than something that is bolted together?

Maybe it's time to move past this and resume discussion on the sonics of the two manufacturers?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Clearly anything that is milled out of a solid block of aluminium is going to be less 'flimsy' than something that is bolted together?

Maybe it's time to move past this and resume discussion on the sonics of the two manufacturers?

Indeed ...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You guys do know that all that millwork is digital, don't you?

Tim

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Kitchen sink on the commode? As always, thunderstruck by the lack of recognition of the absurdity of it all...

Tim

Tim when when you look at examples of natures magnificent glory, say Niagara falls or Mt. Everest, man's excesses pail by comparison.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim when when you look at examples of natures magnificent glory, say Niagara falls or Mt. Everest, man's excesses pail by comparison.
gra Fall

Yeah. And Nature ain't even trying to look expensive.

Tim

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
With my Ayre KXR pre in my current set up , my friend that been in the Hi end audio Business over 40 years, who also has set up 100 hundreds of Phono turntables and tone arms. He thinks It sounds like Tubes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing