Dartzeel Preamp Hiss

EricAlasia

Jul 25, 2017
Paris
So are you accepting it as a condition of ownership? I thought of doing so but now am not so sure. I would really like to find a solution though.[/QUOTE

Howie

yes I do, the hiss is perceived only if my ears are at the height of the tweeter and not more than cm 20 away (...and I don’t spend much time in that position!), obviously nothing can be heard from my chair in my very quiet room.

It’s the best sound I ever had in here, so....

E

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Can you build your own IC's? You could build some with a 10ohm resistor on the ground and see what happens, might clean it up.

Oh no. If i get into DIY i will have stuff strewn all over the place!

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I had a later version of the NHB 18 NS pre mk1, I purchased it used and it was pretty quiet on all outputs it was slightly noisier on phono as is usual. I used the balanced outputs to power amps. It got noisier on the left channel and I contacted Herve about it and was going to get it rectified when I upgraded to the mk2 as I was very impressed by the sound. That never happened, after waiting ages I decided to trade it in for a new mk2 but could not get hold of one. My dealer let me borrow a Ypsilon pre and phono which was, not only almost silent (at 95%. Vol), but sounded better especially on phono. The phono is incredibly quiet.

Reactions: bonzo75 and XV-1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had a later version of the NHB 18 NS pre mk1, I purchased it used and it was pretty quiet on all outputs it was slightly noisier on phono as is usual. I used the balanced outputs to power amps. It got noisier on the left channel and I contacted Herve about it and was going to get it rectified when I upgraded to the mk2 as I was very impressed by the sound. That never happened, after waiting ages I decided to trade it in for a new mk2 but could not get hold of one. My dealer let me borrow a Ypsilon pre and phono which was, not only almost silent (at 95%. Vol), but sounded better especially on phono. The phono is incredibly quiet.

I did the compare of these two preamps with digital. With the dart power amp they were equal, Ypsilon passive and dart, and Ypsilon passive sounded better than Ypsilon active. With the constellation power amp (second model up) Ypsilon sounded better, and preferred it in active. Preferred AR ref 10 to it in that system.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
A hiss update: a guest arrived in the form of a Goldmund Mimesis 22H Next Gen preamp this afternoon. Sounds great but speakers are silent. It almost felt weird going from the Dart to the Goldmund as though something was missing as i had gotten used to the hiss.

Reactions: XV-1 and bonzo75

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I don't mind it if it doesn't detract from the experience. I can always visit the snakes or tom cats if i want to hear some errant hiss!

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I had the Dart alongside the Ypsilon combo for almost two weeks. The Ypsilon phono was much better suited to my analogue components than the Dart, with digital there were more similarities however I found myself preferring the sound produced by the Ypsilon pre . It Seemed to produce a better sense of scale, slightly more transparent with a fuller sound. That is why it is always best to try out new gear in one's own system - gear that works in one situation does not necessarily work else where.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
A hiss update: a guest arrived in the form of a Goldmund Mimesis 22H Next Gen preamp this afternoon. Sounds great but speakers are silent. It almost felt weird going from the Dart to the Goldmund as though something was missing as i had gotten used to the hiss.

The Goldmund latest 22H preamp has some impressive specs. I hope it sounds great and works well with the AD amplifier. Will you get a latest generation Goldmund amp to partner with the 22?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

So was it only the hiss that was missing or was anything else missing in terms of sound

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
You only aware of noise after it's gone. Forget the Dart!

Reactions: adyc

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

LOL

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
The Goldmund latest 22H preamp has some impressive specs. I hope it sounds great and works well with the AD amplifier. Will you get a latest generation Goldmund amp to partner with the 22?

The Goldmund is fantastic. Initially it sounded subdued and also muffled but once it had been powered up for about an hour it opened up. It was a detailed as the Trinity but without some of the harshness that I found the Trinity exhibited with some recordings. It also meant I could listen at higher volumes and for longer without fatigue. So far so good.

I guess it makes sense to see if their amps parter the best with their preamps. They should in theory so I will be comparing them to the Analog Domains. The downside of Goldmund stuff is the price of entry...

Reactions: XV-1

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
So was it only the hiss that was missing or was anything else missing in terms of sound

See my previous reply. I have to say that I noticed some things on recordings that I have never noticed before which was a bit disconcerting. The separation of singers on the soundstage was a revelation.

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010
See my previous reply. I have to say that I noticed some things on recordings that I have never noticed before which was a bit disconcerting. The separation of singers on the soundstage was a revelation.
Any news update for Dratzeel pre or give up to play this gear ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing