DarTZeel Cartridges

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I mean one million Swiss Francs, I get.
But a million and one? That's beyond the pale.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
They all come with a phono preamp, so price is more reasonable in this context (no comment on the $1M version!).
A world-class phono stage alone is $50k or more… so it seems reasonable to pay that for a cartridge and phono stage.

Reactions: JEB42

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I was (mostly) referring to the $1M one.
What can be said about that?! Did Hervé add a zero by mistake and now it’s too late? ;)
I actually think it’s a smart thing to do from a business product positioning standpoint.ie, “get 90% of the sonic benefit at 5% of the cost…” from the main models. Automakers do it all the time.

And knowing what I know about Hervé and his company, he would never release a “me too” product. If it doesn’t move the needle appreciably, he would not release it.

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
They all come with a phono preamp, so price is more reasonable in this context (no comment on the $1M version!).
A world-class phono stage alone is $50k or more… so it seems reasonable to pay that for a cartridge and phono stage.
It seems that the preamp NHB-18NS is used. For the price, you get the cartridge and a new phono module, but you need to own already a NHB-18NS.
The new cartridges has been shown at Munich. In the video the left preamp is used as a phono in bypass mode.

Reactions: JEB42 and Zeotrope

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Chf 1m hmm. Small change for some I suppose.

Hand made and impeccable service can come cheaper in my experience :)

Reactions: tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The 1m cart just needs a favourable Roy Gregory write up now

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Suggest you stop barking orders at forum members. If you have specific criticism, aim it at @Verastarr as Mikey's a member of this forum too. I personally think there is a digit error and the correct price is $100,000 CHF but even then it's ludicrous pricing.

Dart has become so expensive in the US, that even the base 108/18NS combo is uncompetitive at $134k ($76k in 2019).

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Suggest you stop barking orders at forum members. If you have specific criticism, aim it at @Verastarr as Mikey's a member of this forum too. I personally think there is a digit error and the correct price is $100,000 CHF but even then it's ludicrous pricing.

Dart has become so expensive in the US, that even the base 108/18NS combo is uncompetitive at $134k ($76k in 2019).
US pricing has been wrong for DartZeel for some time. This is lack of due diligence from buyers. The real price is in Swiss Francs. Why US buyers accept a much higher price is beyond me. Hopefully the new US distributor/dealers will fix this and be fair and offer consistent pricing with the RoW.

That video you posted was garbage. Just one example: he whines about the “machining marks“ on the front case of the 468 amps, claiming it’s a cheaper way to finish metal because the CNC machine is cutting anyway, and he just ‘didn’t bother to polish it’. That is wrong. It costs more to ship with this type of finish than with a smooth finish.
This is my opinion (although the machining cost is a fact). Obviously feel free to disagree, that’s what these platforms are for. Obviously, don’t buy it if you feel the price-value isn’t there.

Enjoy the music and hobby!

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Latest video from OCD Mikey discussing the Dartzeel gear and cartridges:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That video you posted was garbage. Just one example: he whines about the “machining marks“ on the front case of the 468 amps, claiming it’s a cheaper way to finish metal because the CNC machine is cutting anyway, and he just ‘didn’t bother to polish it’. That is wrong. It costs more to ship with this type of finish than with a smooth finish.
This is my opinion (although the machining cost is a fact).
so you are saying the machining cost is cheaper the way it is currently done, but that the shipment cost of this machining is higher?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: KeithR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing