Current Contenders for BEST 1 Box CD Player? MUST make old CDs sound like MUSIC!!!!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Why one would buy a SOTA CDP without the ability to play SACD's is frankly beyond my comprehension.

Why? I for one don't own a single SACD (I am so glad that I sat out the format wars), so I wouldn't care.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi Al,

I understand that perspective. If you are a classical music fan, labels like Pentatone and Channel Classics provide a wide selection of choices, all with great sound and most in a 5.1 multi channel format.

I should have provided this caveat up front.

audiospirit

Jun 1, 2010
Reno, NV
I have a Ref 9 CD Player and it is great! However, the transport is the weak link in its "chain".
I have heard it used solely as a DAC with a Metronome transport in the front end, that combination
was clearly superior to the Ref 9 by itself. So that is my future upgrade path - a high end transport.

Also, would any of you include the Ayon CD players in the conversation for best single box CD player?
Their CD-3sx looks pretty formidable.
Anyone have experience with their CD-T transport? That is at the top of my list of transports right now.
The Metronome Kalista is out of my price range - for now.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
TAD d1000 , great build and sane price for a high end product .

david.m

Jan 15, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Playback Designs MPS-5 worth a mention? (though for multi-ch it becomes more than one box).

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Playback Designs MPS-5 worth a mention? (though for multi-ch it becomes more than one box).

I think it does. As well as the MPS-3, but that won't play SACDs...

alexandre

robb

Nov 8, 2014
Dallas Texas USA
I would be interested in knowing what are the names of current high-end transports . My current old Wadia cd transport from 1997 has finally stopped working (tray mechanism).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would be interested in knowing what are the names of current high-end transports . My current old Wadia cd transport from 1997 has finally stopped working (tray mechanism).

Sorry to hear. Off-hand:
- Esoteric (they also produce transports for Audio Aero, DCS?...so a good sign)
- Metronome (their Kalista Reference is sensational and i think been replaced by a later model, Calypso)
- Oppo (universal blu-ray player that also plays other formats, though may not be able to output them all via digital out to your DAC...the custom-modded ones by professional firms can be big winners...it worked for me for years...now use for video only)
- Zanden (my personal favorite, but then again, i am biased! ;))
- Emm, Trinity also make transports though i've not heard them myself

If i had to blindly pick one other than my own personal favorite, i would go Metronome for all-out-assault and Oppo for all value great quality/value ratio.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Sorry to hear that. Which transport was it? I guess we both love to hold on to old but still great stuff. My Wadia 8 transport from 1994 has stopped working last year (tracking problems). I replaced it with the Simaudio Moon 260 DT transport. On my Berkeley Alpha DAC 2 I could hear no difference whatsoever between the two transports (the Wadia 8 was still playable for direct comparison), including in low-level spatial resolution and presentation. The replacement was incredibly cheap: in the silver finish that I have the Simaudio is just $ 1,800; the company claims that the technology of the transport is in essence the same as that from some of their much higher priced integrated CD players. It is clearly very good indeed.

My Wadia 8 now serves as a museum piece in the back of the living room; the design is just too beautiful to not keep the unit.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Here are a few of my choices for 1 box cd players ( Keep It Simple ) Zanden - Meridian - MBL - Audio Research - Bow Technologies - McIntosh - Chord - and a very special mention to the Consonance Droplet 5.0 tube unit at $2,600.00 Canadian ship to your door. :)

b71c10c6ba95907e2f6534e550660dfd_5.jpg

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Love that droplet pic :)
I'd recommend meridian 808.5 and nagra cdp for one box players. Nagra cdt for transport.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Along similar lines, i like the modd'd Oppo players for 1-box solutions. My old Oppo 83 modd'd was sensationally good til til broke, and i replaced it with a deeply discounted 'off the shelf' Oppo 95...i definitely preferred the modd'd 83 for sound, but since i was only using the 95 for video only (all audio is digital out to Zanden), i figured 'save the money'.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
No Esoteric K01 fans?

Yes, I own a K-01 and it satisfies those requirements beautifully. I've never had the slightest desire to move to another digital source component.

Ken

caesar

May 30, 2010
Yes, I own a K-01 and it satisfies those requirements beautifully. I've never had the slightest desire to move to another digital source component.

Ken

Alpinist,

Did you audition any others before you settled on the K-01?

Thanks

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Alpinist,

Did you audition any others before you settled on the K-01?

Thanks

Hi Caesar,

I also auditioned the McIntosh MCD-1100, Aesthetix Romulus, Cary 306, Esoteric K-03 and EMM DAC2X (using the K-03 transport).

Ken

Onepoint5

Sep 23, 2011
A lot can be said for the turntable within a CD/SACD player. The 'best' turntables are heavy high inertia beasts, and the idea is to keep the mechanical vibration down, so the bits and pits are easier to read.
Many, many CD players use a thin pressed metal arrangement and OEM solutions to suffice the transport side of things, and that will not sound so great. Keep thinking of $50 blu-ray players approach. Among rarity within CD player circles is one manufacturer that makes their own transport and electronics and has been doing so for some time.
I can burn a DVD with DSF files, and playback through an Accuphase DP-720 sounds better than a computer transport that I am currently struggling with to sound less raspy (m920, MPD-3). Even CDs sound great.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Bump!!!!!!

Anyone compare dCS Rossini to Esoteric K-01x? Judging by previous history of these brands, both can sound analytic in the wrong system. Unless one is completely passionate about one brand or the other, most people would compare before shelling out the money. Please share.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Recently tried the OPPO 105. OK but not much body and warmth. I assume the various mods address that issue.

Also auditioned the Esoteric K01. Returned that also. Too "mechanical" sounding.

Still love my Cary 306 SACD CDP.

Likely keep until it dies and I can't get it repaired anymore.

With the latest servicing (new laser and transport), should be good for another several years.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Caesar,

I also auditioned the McIntosh MCD-1100, Aesthetix Romulus, Cary 306, Esoteric K-03 and EMM DAC2X (using the K-03 transport).

Ken

Dear Ken,

I do not have any digital anything but I have heard the Aesthetix Roumulus and I believe it is well-regarded for a non-crazy-priced one box.

How did you find the sound of the Aesthetix Romulus compared to your other contenders?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing