Current Contenders for BEST 1 Box CD Player? MUST make old CDs sound like MUSIC!!!!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm going to put in a big vote for my recent acquistion, the Eera Tentation. beats by a large margin my previous Emm labs CDSA SE w/various mods, which itself I chose over the Marantz SA1, Linn CD12, Reimyo , AMR, one box Meridians, Wadias, ARs. The only player i'd poss choose over it is the long-discontinued Marantz CD12 SE (2 box, but who's counting?) from the late 80s (still Ken Kessler's cdp of choice).

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
The EAR Acute III is an outstanding player. It has amazing width and depth in the sound stage and is very three dimensional and holographic. Any doubters should listen to one.

I'd suggest an EAR Acute III, which allows a degree of sonic customization through the choice of ECC88/PC88 tubes.
I can use any of my E188CC tubes (milspec E88CC) all of Phillips manufacture, but from different plants to get any degree of warmth and/or resolution I choose.
I can use E188CCs from (in 'warmth' order) -
Mullard -Mitchum plant
Amperex - Heerlen plant
RTC/Mazda - Surenes plant
Siemans - Munich plant
CBS spec Seimens - PCC88, Munich plant, the cleanest tube I've ever heard

FWIW,
Paul

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...Precision and accuracy are interchangeable words so I'm hardly "confusing" one for the other.

Precision and accuracy are hardly the same, in science or in audio. Just as in science, one can be very precise but inaccurate in audio; finely detailed, one-dimensional tonally imbalanced sound can be appropriately described as precise but obviously not accurate. Now back to the OP topic.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Precision and accuracy are hardly the same, in science or in audio. Just as in science, one can be very precise but inaccurate in audio; finely detailed, one-dimensional tonally imbalanced sound can be appropriately described as precise but obviously not accurate. Now back to the OP topic.

Not according to the Merriam Webster dictionary:http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/accuracy

According to Merriam Webster, the synonym for accuracy is precision. I stand by what I said previously. You can't have precision without accuracy and you can't have accuracy without precision.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Apparently Webster's can be "wrong" sometimes. However, if you look down the list under both "accuracy" and "precision" to the "Chemistry; Physics" definitions, you will see that they are distinguished from one another. I do believe that audio reproduction falls in the category of "Physics"; of course you (the reader) may disagree...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Apparently Webster's can be "wrong" sometimes. However, if you look down the list under both "accuracy" and "precision" to the "Chemistry; Physics" definitions, you will see that they are distinguished from one another. I do believe that audio reproduction falls in the category of "Physics"; of course you (the reader) may disagree...

I looked down the list, but I don't see what you are talking about with regards to physics and chemistry. When I did look down the list I saw a category that says "related words" and one of the related words is "fidelity."

So please explain the difference between precision and accuracy as they relate to audio.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/precision

there is a link to the scientific definition of "accuracy" as well.

From your link: the quality of being precise; accuracy :)

Let me write a sentence here: "I think you are using precision in an attempt to separate fly sh!t from pepper with a high degree of accuracy to distinguish between the two in order to argue a point with me."

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
From your link: the quality of being precise; accuracy :)
Don't be obtuse, it's not becoming :p Anyway, I'm happy to be able to add to your store of knowledge...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Don't be obtuse, it's not becoming :p Anyway, I'm happy to be able to add to your store of knowledge...

I was going to say the same thing to you, but I was trying to be polite.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Look, I think Caesar is asking for the impossible, but even if he wasn't, how are you going to get "acute precision" by swapping tube colorations until you find something you like?

Was wondering about the same ...

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I have a Vitus SCD-010 and agree it is a terrific player, very natural sounding. Eventually gave way to EMM DAC-2X but for spinning a disc, it fits your description of what you want from it musically.
I had a look through your album album & am very impressed. That is a beautiful room! The Vac Statement amps are right up there with the best tube amps. The SCD-010 is very good, though a friend of mine who upgraded from the 010 to the 025 described the improvement as "huge". Also, rule of thumb: Vitus sounds best with Vitus. And in the absence of a Signature Series dac I can see why the 010 was moved on.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
David, by now you must know my brand of choice :)
It just does redbook, but it does so exceedingly well. Rich and full tonality yet very detailed in a natural way, not euphonic. It's a fine balancing act.

tonypdb

Jan 4, 2015
Hi,
Can anyone comment on the digital volume control built into the vitus scd-25? For some reason they have a dac preamp in both the reference series and masterpiece series, and not in the signature series. Since I would like to avoid a preamp altogether, the dac preamp was top of the list, but quite more expensive than the scd-25.
Thanks.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I would think so, but I didn't want to prime anyone's mind when I asked the question.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I had a great time with the Audio Research CD8 and later with the CD9. If it was not for the Metronome's dual box I would still own the CD9.

My vote also goes to the Audio Research CD8/9 series. But they don't do SACDs.

I have had great music lately from the dCS Puccini. Use the up sampling to DSD option for CDs. And it plays SACDs and it can connect to your computer with a Pucinni Paginini clock or a USB-S/PDIF converter.

Oh and it has a nice ability to drive an amp without a preamp.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
The K01 does play SACD's and also can drive an amp (digital volume control) without a pre.

Why one would buy a SOTA CDP without the ability to play SACD's is frankly beyond my comprehension.

And yes, the K01 seems to play RB quite well.

Euphonic? Please elaborate.

Could be me but it appears there is an anti SACD bias going on here. :confused:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing