Cry for help with tube placement Ray Lumley M100

vucubaquix

Nov 14, 2020
So this is a pretty niche question. I am replacing all the tubes in my Lumley M100's . My question is , into what sockets does the 12AX7 and 12AU7 go? I thought it would be easy, just follow what was in my amps already. So, from a birds eye view looking down, the one on the left side was a 12AU7. So I replaced it with a 12AU7. But, the old small tube on the right was a 12AU7 as well. I thought the 12AX7 would go there. So, i don't know for sure which goes where . I wonder if anyone knows?? I just learned that one of the most gifted audio tube circuit designer technicians recently passed, Dan Santoni , who lived in Ontario Canada. He was my go to guy and will be sadly missed. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
trace the cable from the cinch socket to the circuit board and, if necessary, traces to the tube. the first tube is input stage ecc83 / 12ax7, the second tube 12au7 is the phase splitter. don't panic will also run with two 12au7 other input amplification.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Wow, thanks so much for your super quick answer Stephan, I really appreciate it. :)
My pleasure,be careful with volume with ecc83 when you start the engine;)have fun and listen

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Love lumley amps build allways as a tank , they also do good speakers

vucubaquix

Nov 14, 2020
Gotta luv those Lumley Mono's. So...... I uploaded my birds eye view. I don't think I can trace or see wires to sockets and the signal path . Any ideas?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_6878.jpeg
    thumbnail_IMG_6878.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 14

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I hope you have an ohm meter, lumley please disconnect the power supply, wait a little and then remove the two tubes. measure with the ohmmeter from the signal pin rca(middle) to tube socket pin 2 and 7 . both tube sockets. where you measure zero ohms is the input tube ecc83. If there is a coupling capacitor in the signal path in front of the tube, it becomes difficult because the capacitor does not let DC voltage through. good luck 20221109_194436.jpg

vucubaquix

Nov 14, 2020
Thank's all, for your help and comments. So, the answer on tube placement , for anyone else that may need to know is, the tube closest to the input jack is the 12AX7 input tube. The tube to the right is the 12AU7 is the driver . That was confirmed by Chris Johnson, all around nice guy, parts guru, upgrade wizard, original founder of Sonic Frontiers and owner of Parts ConneXion in Burlington, Ontario .

Reactions: Mendel

zkidd

Oct 18, 2020
While I cannot really help here, I do want to pipe up that it is so nice to read about others who own Lumley amps. I have a pair of Lumley Megavox 150 Signatures which use an octal (6SN7) for the drivers / splitters so no confusion on the part of which tube is which. Might I suggest that once you figure out where the 12AU7 goes and the 12AX7 as well, you get some dry number rub-on decals and mark the respective tube sockets for future use?
And yes to the gent who stated that Lumley amps can drive almost anything! Way back in the day I had some Apogee speakers, a notorious 2 ohm load and my Lumleys drove them without incident. I have owned mine for 28 years and have never heard their equal...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing