Crazy Heart

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Crazy Heart, starring Jeff Bridges and Maggie Gyllenhaal

Jeff Bridges has been quietly piling up fine acting performances for decades. Crazy Heart is another showcase for Bridges' skills and a mighty fine one at that. Bridges gets a chance to chew up dented truck-loads of scenery and he gives us all of the goods, but this is still not a very good movie.

Bridges plays busted up country singer Bad Blake. No, I'm not kidding, that's the character's name.

As the film opens, Blake pulls up in his broken down truck, empties his gallon sized pee bottle in the parking lot and curses his agent for booking him to play a run down bowling alley. As the movie progresses, you learn that this is not the type of gig where they take over an entire bowling alley for use as a concert venue -- a bad enough slight to the former star -- no, Blake has been booked to play the little bar inside the bowling alley.

Apparently, Blake has driven his truck all the way from his place in Houston Texas -- with no stops to pee -- to play this bowling alley bar. Why? These are the only gigs his agent, always seen talking to Blake on a cordless phone from his hollywood mansion wearing a bathrobe and sunglasses, can get for him these days.

This opening sequence pretty much epitomizes the film. It's a terrific introduction to the character, we see that Bridges has disappeared into and has taken residence inside the skin of this guy who is running his final lap on the fumes of his former stardom. We like him immediately, we want to know what's going to happen to him, and we're impressed as hell with Bridges.

But, the movie has nowhere to go. Since it doesn't, you find yourself with time to start asking yourself nagging little questions like, how can there possibly be enough pay in a gig like this to make it worth Blake's time and gas money to drive all the way from Houston to Santa Fe? How could ten percent of this gig's pay be enough to make it worth his direct-from-central-casting hollywood agent's time to actually book it? How can there be enough money in this gig to pay for a local backing band and Blake's hotel, too? The film is filled with these kinds of implausibilities -- not a good thing when you're aiming for gritty slice of life drama.

We learn that Blake has a bad drinking problem. Maybe the film will be about how he either overcomes or fails to overcome it? Nope. We learn that -- just like the main character in so many recent dramas -- Blake has a child out there somewhere from whom he has been long estranged. Maybe the film will be about how he reconnects with him? Nope. Blake and Maggie Gyllenhaal's character fall immediately in love in another of the film's gratuitous this would never happen plot-lines. Maybe it will be about their struggle to make a relationship? Nope. Gyllenhaal is given the thankless job of simply regarding Blake with gushing tenderhearted compassion. We learn that Blake used to write incredible songs, but hasn't written a new one in many years. Maybe it'll be about his struggle to find the spark that fueled his former creativity? Nope.

We learn that Blake taught it all to a young protege and the youngster went on to fame and fortune and now wants Blake to open for him. This sequence also epitomizes the film. As the sequence begins, Blake would rather have his skin peeled off with needle nosed pliers than to open for his former back-up protege. "Every back-up singer dreams that the ass he's been staring at will someday be opening for him. Well, I don't owe him that dream!" Maybe we'll finally have some conflict to explore? No. In the same phone call, Blake simply changes his mind and agrees. Maybe there'll be fireworks when the two get together? Nope. The younger man simply adores Blake and wants the Badster to write songs for him.

Caution Spoilers!

At the end of the film, a lot of things have apparently happened. For example, the couple of times we saw Blake noodle around on his guitar while in a drunken stupor have resulted in those songs the younger man wanted, momentous changes have taken place in Gyllenhaal's life, Blake is now clean and sober and has decided to switch from Bad to his real first name....Otis. However, whatever struggle there was to plumb in the widths and depths of those changes has apparently taken place off-screen. The film has no interest in them.

What about Blake's estranged son? Blake calls him one day, the kid says he has no interest in connecting and Blake philosophizes later to Robert Duval (who seems to show up lately in any movie where he has a chance to don a Stetson for a few minutes) that the kid has a good point; Blake's effort is too little too late -- so, why fight the kid's rebuff?

It's that kind of movie.

I don't blame the academy for awarding Bridges an oscar. It's as fine a performance as he's given. I have a feeling that the award was not just for this film, though. I have a feeling that the quality and quantity of Bridges work simply achieved critical mass.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Great Review Rob

For me however I loved the movie. I agree that certain story lines go no where but for me I found it a piece of life

I analogized the film, story and actors to Mickey Rourke and The Wrestler from last year which I also loved and put it in my top 3 from that year. I would have also voted for Mickey Rourke as Best Actor just as I would have voted for Jeff Bridges.

BTW, whatever happened to his brother Beau who has fallen off the radar lately

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
His brother tried and tried, but I don't think he ever overcame the crippling handicap of being named Beau.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Much of what you said is true, but I think it misses the point. You were, evidently, looking for a deep examination of a single relationship in a character's life. This movie was about a character who was at the end of his rope when a couple of pretty random events (a loved woman, a lost child) shocked him into seeing himself from a new point of view and caused him to reconsider his life and re-start with a lot more sobriety and a bit more humility, resulting in redemption. In the sequel, he gets the liver transplant.

It's not a perfect movie, by any means. The gig was too small. The ending ending was too easy. The love was a bit too Hollywood (a woman 10 years older would have made a lot more sense, but then how would we have had a small child to lose?). I think you actually missed its greatest sin -- it was a bit too much like Tender Mercies (which was better). But it was good. Hell, compared to most Hollywood product, it was brilliant.

Tim

PS: I think what Beau Bridges never recovered from was being too chubby to be a Hollywood leading man.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Well, this movie played a significant role in last night's Grammy Awards:

1) Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
2) Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media: The Weary Kind

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You were, evidently, looking for a deep examination of a single relationship in a character's life.

I was looking for a reason to remain interested in the story.

A lot of crappy movies are easy to avoid -- they don't promise much.

In that sense, it's sort of like the difference between a dumb guy who fails high school and ends up pumping gas for a living and a guy with more potential.

I think it's a bigger waste for the smart guy.

Similarly, I think it's a bigger waste to assemble some fine actors with a story full of possibilities only to miss every single one.

Still, a fine acting job by Bridges.

IMO, it's the only reason to watch a for a few minutes.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing