Corning Optical USB cables

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Anyone tried these. I'm wondering if this would be as good as a very high end USB cable like my Audioquest Diamond? Galvanic isolation?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
This cable does not give you galvanic isolation. There is tiny copper wire which connects both ends. I'm not sure if it carries ground or +5V, or both.

The only USB device I'm aware of that gives you a full galvanic isolation is Intona USB. It is a professional isolator, designed for medical and lab equipment, but can bring significant improvement when deployed between your PC and a DAC.

I'm using one between my PC server and my Lampizator Golden Gate DAC. There is a separate thread over on the CA forum dedicated to Intona.

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I was thinking more about just the actual cable replacement. (Galvanic isolation would have been an added perk.) If I installed it between my Auralic Aries and Vivaldi DAC, would the systems resultant audio quality be better than my Audioquest and almost any high-end USB cable?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
USB cables are very system dependent.

In my system, I have prefered the TotalDAC D-1 filtered USB cable to any alternative, AQ Diamond including.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This cable does not give you galvanic isolation. There is tiny copper wire which connects both ends. I'm not sure if it carries ground or +5V, or both.

The only USB device I'm aware of that gives you a full galvanic isolation is Intona USB. It is a professional isolator, designed for medical and lab equipment, but can bring significant improvement when deployed between your PC and a DAC.

I'm using one between my PC server and my Lampizator Golden Gate DAC. There is a separate thread over on the CA forum dedicated to Intona.

Although the information available at the site is limited, I could read it includes two FPGA's and the si8660ba RF carrier isolator chip separating the boards carrying them - in principle much better than the transformers used for galvanic isolation in many devices. However it seems to use the power from the computer - I would expect that an audiophile version would use a separate high quality power supply.

Can I ask why are not you using it in the Trinity DAC?

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk

Have you tried a USB cable that does not have the 5v connection with the Golden Gate?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing