Corner Trap Placement Question

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I have a few Realtraps, and I have a question. Using the diagram below. Which configuration is more effective? It appears that most of the traps I see are placed across corners. However, I have seen some place parallel to wall to the corner, with a separate trap on each wall.
Which leads me to my question. I believe that obviously 2 traps are going to more effective than one. But is it only better due to the addition of another trap? Or is the configuration itself better?

trap config1.JPG

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I use them (Mondo Traps) in the corners like you have on the left hand figure. I also have two extra mini traps I lean against the mondo for more bass trapping. I never tried the other config.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have cylindrical tube traps (ASC) with the refraction panel facing the room (hope this helps)

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Yes, the across the corner is by far the most common configuration I've seen as well. The other configuration, I have only seen done with a different product (not RealTraps). But I found the idea intriguing, and Mondo Traps are what I have. If it is a valid idea, I am considering getting some additional traps to do this. The 4" air gap would be achieved by using 4" post base's between the traps and the wall (per Ethan's site).

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have a few Realtraps, and I have a question. Using the diagram below. Which configuration is more effective? It appears that most of the traps I see are placed across corners. However, I have seen some place parallel to wall to the corner, with a separate trap on each wall.
Which leads me to my question. I believe that obviously 2 traps are going to more effective than one. But is it only better due to the addition of another trap? Or is the configuration itself better?

I did a DIY project corner bass trap with triangular cutouts floor to ceiling. Bit of work, but extremely effective and cheap.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ays-beneficial&p=142368&viewfull=1#post142368

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Also, just to share... I have an alcove in the right front of my listening room, with doors in it. The doors allow no traps in the corners, except a small space above them. So, using the method in question, I mounted two Fat Mondo Traps horizontally in this configuration above the doors (which seem to have had a positive effect)...

RoomTreatment 019rs.jpg

RoomTreatment 020rs.jpg

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
Which configuration is more effective?

They are similar, though using two traps flat against the wall is ever-so-slightly better. If you space them away a few inches as shown in your ceiling photo directly above, that's even better still. Straddling a corner is the more effective method, but using two traps provides twice as much surface area.

--Ethan

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Thank you everyone for your answers.

For fun, let's compare apples to apples (since the 1 trap vs. 2 traps thing sort of skews the comparison)...

From the diagram below which would be more effective? Or are we just splitting hairs?

(From strictly an aesthetics point of view and for space saving, I prefer the configuration on the right.)

trap config2.JPG

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

For fun, let's compare apples to apples (since the 1 trap vs. 2 traps thing sort of skews the comparison)...

From the diagram below which would be more effective? Or are we just splitting hairs?

(From strictly an aesthetics point of view and for space saving, I prefer the configuration on the right.)

View attachment 9325

Why not try both and tell us what you think?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

View attachment 9325

I find the first option taking to much space, I would go back to the first two options since state is a heavy variable here.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have a variety of RealTraps in my room, some of which are on floor stands to sit in front, and counter the effect, of a large projection screen that is fixed to the 'rear' wall when the room is set up for hi-fi. (My hi-fi and home theatre systems share the same room, but are completely separate systems that play in opposite directions in the room).
Wondering whether, to address that alcove, there is any value in using similar floor standing panels to create a temporary 'false' wall that essentially cuts off the alcove altogether (leaving the bass traps in place on the ceiling as well). The stands with the acoustic panels mounted are fairly light and rigid, I can move them out of the way in a minute if I want to use the projector in my room.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I have a variety of RealTraps in my room, some of which are on floor stands to sit in front, and counter the effect, of a large projection screen that is fixed to the 'rear' wall when the room is set up for hi-fi. (My hi-fi and home theatre systems share the same room, but are completely separate systems that play in opposite directions in the room).
Wondering whether, to address that alcove, there is any value in using similar floor standing panels to create a temporary 'false' wall that essentially cuts off the alcove altogether (leaving the bass traps in place on the ceiling as well). The stands with the acoustic panels mounted are fairly light and rigid, I can move them out of the way in a minute if I want to use the projector in my room.

And that is a reasonable suggestion. And one I plan on doing... at least some variation of that. I'm not sure what the 'false' wall would do across the alcove. But, as you said, on stands it would be easy to try. My thought was to place a couple of traps on stands, and using them in the 2 corners of the alcove. However, in the front left corner (being that it is a normal full corner), I believe I would like to place 4 Fat Mondo Traps there, in the configuration as described in the right diagram in my original post.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Yes, that would probably work very well.

--Ethan

Hi Ethan. So you think that placing a couple of traps on stands across the alcove opening would perform better than the same two traps on stands in the 2 corners of the alcove? I am going to order a couple of the stands anyway, and can try it both ways easy enough. But I am just curious as to why you think placing them across the opening would work better.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
^^^ I don't see a photo or drawing of the alcove in question, so I'm half guessing. But putting traps across an opening generally works well.

--Ethan

Ethan, I have a doorway opening just about half way on the left long wall of my 30 x 22 room. There is no door however. The opening is 90"H x 48"W

Would you recommend putting a trap on a stand in the opening? The doorway leads to a hall and then a staircase. If so, which trap would you recommend?

Thank you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing