Cool new young band: Everything Everything

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
First impression? Hated it. I get the Talking Heads comparison, but without the talent of the Talking Heads. Maybe their other songs are much better and I should reserve judgement. I also saw some hints of the early Beatles in this video with regards to the effects and filming. Certainly doesn't make them early Beatles quality though. Sounded like a bunch of noise to me.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
First impression? Hated it. I get the Talking Heads comparison, but without the talent of the Talking Heads. Maybe their other songs are much better and I should reserve judgement. I also saw some hints of the early Beatles in this video with regards to the effects and filming. Certainly doesn't make them early Beatles quality though. Sounded like a bunch of noise to me.

Sorry you hated it. I can tell you they were excellent live.

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
@Andre

I saw Everything Everything on Jools Holland and was impressed, but maybe it was just that song - I wasn't so impressed by some other stuff I heard. I'll have to seek out more of their recent tracks. I certainly know lots of younger people who follow them.

I wonder what you might think to a band from the North of England called Field Music

And this one is pretty catchy:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Steve and/or Amir:

Do you think there would be interest in starting a forum for new bands??

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
OK, just skipped through Everything Everything's album Arc and yes, in principle I think I could get to like them. However, I think Field Music sound slightly less pleased with themselves, which I instinctively go for!

Depending on why you like Everything Everything, you may (or may not!) like this obscure little band from Nottingham called Swimming whose sound, in some ways, is similar I think. Similar elements from the 80s? They have a couple of albums.

I think this is a gorgeous track (not brilliant audio on this vid, however):

Just heard this one for the first time. It sounds very good to me, and wouldn't offend anyone, I would have thought.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
@Andre

I saw Everything Everything on Jools Holland and was impressed, but maybe it was just that song - I wasn't so impressed by some other stuff I heard. I'll have to seek out more of their recent tracks. I certainly know lots of younger people who follow them.

I wonder what you might think to a band from the North of England called Field Music

And this one is pretty catchy:

Hey Gaucho. Field Music is cool! I may be mistaken but I believe one of their songs is being used in a BNP Paribas
commercial. Really nice stuff..thanks for the videos.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
OK, just skipped through Everything Everything's album Arc and yes, in principle I think I could get to like them. However, I think Field Music sound slightly less pleased with themselves, which I instinctively go for!

Depending on why you like Everything Everything, you may (or may not!) like this obscure little band from Nottingham called Swimming whose sound, in some ways, is similar I think. Similar elements from the 80s? They have a couple of albums.

Just heard this one for the first time. It sounds very good to me, and wouldn't offend anyone, I would have thought.
ga

Again, way cool. Very interesting stuff.

What really impressed me about EE is they were NOT afraid to be quirky and intelligent. I just have had it up to here with the plastic
sound of commercial emo bands and endless Green Day rip offs.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

I am hearing some Mercury Rev, Galaxy 500, and maybe a dash of Jesus and Mary Chain. :cool:

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
Andre Marc said:
I am hearing some Mercury Rev, Galaxy 500, and maybe a dash of Jesus and Mary Chain.

Mercury Rev definitely. I don't know Galaxy 500 at all - another band for me to check out...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Mercury Rev definitely. I don't know Galaxy 500 at all - another band for me to check out...

Galaxy 500 were similar to My Bloody Valentine. Two of the members of Galaxy formed Damon & Naomi. Really cool stuff too, but different.

I bought the Swimming album in an HD download!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Love this thread! Keep 'em coming!

The 2nd Sallie Ford and the Sound Outside LP just came out

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Love this thread! Keep 'em coming!

The 2nd Sallie Ford and the Sound Outside LP just came out

Good one! Similar to Imelda May..but more twangy.

Check out Beachwood Sparks. Kinda a modern Notorious Byrd Brothers meets American Beauty..spacey country rock.

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Smith Westerns

New album out in June

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing