Confessions of an Audiophile Junky-I Got Center Stage With Pitch Perfect Sound

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
My (limited) personal experience is that the degradation in sound quality was much more apparent with new CS footers placed under my DAC. When I placed a set of footers under my preamp and phono stage, there was an immediate (though subtle) improvement and while there was some degradation in midrange clarity over the first few days, it was nothing like what I experienced with my DAC.

My point is, I think this settling process and its sonic trajectory during that process depends on the type of device under which the footers are placed. This makes intuitive sense to me as DACs are very different beasts compared to analog preamps and phono stages. They subsequently have different relationships between vibration (either intrinsic or extrinsic) and the resultant sonic impact.

Perhaps Joe can comment on this particular aspect of the settling in process.

Cheers, Joe

Hi Joe

I think everything you said has merit. Also, when you start with the DAC, you're "getting the signal right" at its source (excluding an external storage device). This could be helpful in the settling process too. Thank you for trying CS!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Joe

I think everything you said has merit. Also, when you start with the DAC, you're "getting the signal right" at its source (excluding an external storage device). This could be helpful in the settling process too. Thank you for trying CS!

For me this is THE most important point

When people purchase these from me I always inquire where they will be placed. Many say their "amps". I suggest to them that we recommend starting with the signal path source so the DAC is the best source. Having done this now 4 times in my system where I am now day 9 on the digital side, I found myself muttering that my digital path sounded better than my analog. That was a bitter pill to swallow until I switched from the digital side to the analog.I will be doing this again on Wed as tomorrow I am day 10 and I am getting full benefit of the CS. Having done this before and waiting for the phonostage feet to burn in I can say that once again analog ruled supreme once they did. This time around I will also be placing these under my Studer A810 as well as my Doshi tape pre. Like mountain joe I found the biggest pop came from under my DAC to the point where I was listening to a lot of digital

So my recommendation for people is to start at the source (DAC, phonostage, external storage device), then to the preamp, then to the amps and lastly to the power supplies and external crossovers. With so many out in the field now I can say that the burn in time IMO is highly system specific

These are also not recommended for use under speakers or directly under a turntable. Certainly if the TT is sitting on a slab, that slab can then be placed on 4 CS feet.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I VERY RESPECTFULLY apologize, but I don't know how to respond to this now that would be different than what I've said previously. I guess I don't understand what you want me to say. But, if you think of the SLT in simple terms, energy dissipates from its point of concentration, and then you think of entropy as a building up (or concentration) of energy that results in disorder, it would be foreseeable that the direct transference of any partial amount of the concentration would be advantageous to the functionality of a thermodynamic system. That's how it relates. But, as I have said, there is definitely the FLT aspect too.

Everything in the universe obeys first law and second law of thermodynamics. I am not sure what you mean by your footer is second law dominant and the other isolation method is first law dominant.

It seems that from your explanation that your footers will decrease the entropy of the equipment they place under. I think Davey wants to know how your footer achieve that. Is it simply by draining the vibrations more effectively?

If the weight helps the break in process, is it possible that you place these footers under some clamping machine before you ship them to your customers?

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
I am in the process of doing the latest step of an A-B-A-B-A-B with these Center Stage footers, which is another way of saying after being one of the initial field testers for what I have referred to as V1 and then several weeks later V2 (the current production version without the black and white graphics) and now having inserted my final production footers, I can say that I have no doubt about the impact of these footers, even though I do not get aspects of why they work.

I am 68 and have played this audio game since I was 15 and have had some grand systems and a custom built music room, only to going back 13 years ago to my post divorce main system being the CD/radio in 5 year old Maxima and now building a respectable system with Spectral electrons, VPI/ZYX/Lamm analog, ARC digital feed by a highly modified MacMini server, and all going into a pair of Vivid G3's and a pair of JL F113 subs, all connected with MIT top shelf cabling and speaker wire and some Cardas Beyond Clear on the analog side and evolving AC cords. I have used my systems as hiding places, treatment for my OCD, and, when healthy, a vehicle for happiness.

12 days ago I had cancer surgery and have been home recuperating and watching more TV than I care to admit. BTW, during that time I was not listening to much music because I did not "feel" like it, for whatever reason, but I used my system for the TV audio most of the time and sometimes just the Samsung 65" SUHD audio section on days that I was not feeling good at all. 7-5 days ago I started inserting my latest set of Center Stage footers back into my system (it was too much for me to install 16 of them on a single day due to my inability to lift some of my equipment. Yesterday I watched a couple of movies on and off axis on my couch, but found myself raising the volume so that I would be more into what was going on and because it just sounded better than it has for the past couple of months without the footers.

By the end of the day I realized that for the past 2 months I had not enjoyed a movie, plain old Fios on-demand on a good 2 channel system, as much as I had yesterday and that clearly the sound got better during the 4 hours of movie watching. I am not surprised by this finding because this is my third go round with Center Stage footers and I know what their impact is.

If you are truly curious about their impact and willing to spend the money if you like them, then do the trial and put aside your theories to explain what you do not understand and just see if you prefer the impact and if it makes the overall experience more enjoyable. You will know by the third day and for sure by day 7 and kicking yourself for not doing it sooner by day 10.

Hi Russ

I'm glad to hear you're getting back to normal. You're not alone! Years back, I fought the same battle. For me, things are very much back to normal and I'm sure the same good fortune will be yours.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Hi Russ

I'm glad to hear you're getting back to normal. You're not alone! Years back, I fought the same battle. For me, things are very much back to normal and I'm sure the same good fortune will be yours.
Thanks Joe. I am already feeling the benefits and have not even received the path report yet. I hope that you read my V3 comments. I am so happy with the CS footer.

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Everything in the universe obeys first law and second law of thermodynamics. I am not sure what you mean by your footer is second law dominant and the other isolation method is first law dominant.

It seems that from your explanation that your footers will decrease the entropy of the equipment they place under. I think Davey wants to know how your footer achieve that. Is it simply by draining the vibrations more effectively?

If the weight helps the break in process, is it possible that you place these footers under some clamping machine before you ship them to your customers?

Hi adyc

We've filed for patent protection and until this is resolved, I cannot reveal details. Sorry.

I have never claimed and do not claim that the weight of the component has any effect on the settling process. In my opinion, clamping the feet would not do anything more than waste time and/or cause damage. I hope this helps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just a short update on the Center Stage footers. These damn little things are really a blessing for digital listeners who listen to opera. In my system are bringing a sense of realism I have never experienced before. Sometime ago I listened to some opera mastertapes in a top system using a Telefunken M15 / Doshi front end and appreciated the very natural sound, slightly drier, in a positive sense, than what we usually get from the best opera LPs. I would say it was approaching more the cleanness of real opera listened from row F, without excessive voice emphasis due to any reinforcement. Curiously it is what I am getting from the Vivaldi DAC with the Center Stage footers - natural voices, well separated and nuanced, supported by the orchestra, but having their own space. Lots of detail, without any of the artifacts that usually come with old digital recordings played in analytical systems.

BTW, the usual suspects were "Rigoletto" (Giulini, Domingo, DG) and Maria Callas "Mad Scenes", an wonderful EMI compilation from Donizetti, Thomas and Bellini operas (Rescigno, Philarmonia Orchestra and Chorus).

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Just a short update on the Center Stage footers. These damn little things are really a blessing for digital listeners who listen to opera. In my system are bringing a sense of realism I have never experienced before. Sometime ago I listened to some opera mastertapes in a top system using a Telefunken M15 / Doshi front end and appreciated the very natural sound, slightly drier, in a positive sense, than what we usually get from the best opera LPs. I would say it was approaching more the cleanness of real opera listened from row F, without excessive voice emphasis due to any reinforcement. Curiously it is what I am getting from the Vivaldi DAC with the Center Stage footers - natural voices, well separated and nuanced, supported by the orchestra, but having their own space. Lots of detail, without any of the artifacts that usually come with old digital recordings played in analytical systems.

BTW, the usual suspects were "Rigoletto" (Giulini, Domingo, DG) and Maria Callas "Mad Scenes", an wonderful EMI compilation from Donizetti, Thomas and Bellini operas (Rescigno, Philarmonia Orchestra and Chorus).

Hi microstrip

I have to say that this is a huge compliment. In my opinion, opera is THE most difficult genre of music to reproduce free of dynamic compression. In many operatic pieces, the demands composers place upon the human voice intentionally creates violent dynamic swings that obfuscate musical reproduction. When you say that the human voice is “realistic” and “natural” and separate from the orchestral passages, you speak directly to me. You tell me that I have done my job right. It took me 17 years and a completely innovative approach to problem solving to fully get that right. I say to you, thank you. Thank you for those words. You have no idea how deeply gratifying those sentences are.

One question, if you don’t mind. Can you remind me which components CS is under?

Steve Williams

Center Stage Foot Is Awarded a 2017 Brutus Award From Positive Feedback Online

A few weeks ago, a complete signal path of Center Stage feet was delivered to David Robinson, Editor-in-Chief of Positive Feedback Online. David was kind enough to slog through the settling period as many of you have and/or are doing now. We are very pleased to announce that Center Stage received a Brutus Award from David Robinson. The applicable text is shown below and the complete article with an explanation of the Award and the award process is available through the link. (Note: the mention of other CMS products was not edited out because doing so would have reduced the coherence of the article):

Center_Stage_6x9_200ppi_DSC_5303.jpg

But Joe wasn't done yet! Not too long before Ted Denney arrived here, I hosted a visit from Joe and Joy once more. They, like Ted, were also arriving near the cusp of decision for the Brutus Awards this year, and had another rack system for the PASS Labs Xs 150 Monoblocks and Power Supplies that had been installed. This would take the current Critical Mass Systems Black Diamond amp stands and convert them into a two-level rack system with a QXK Rack Frame.

The new Center Stage Feet from Critical Mass Systems

Additionally, they had a radically new isolation component, the Center Stage that they were very anxious for me to try. Normally, this would have not been a problem, but there were two considerations here:

The Center Stage would require 7-10 days to settle in, since initially it would introduce some chaos to the sound of our system; and,
The days were short!
To cut to the chase, the QXK Racks and Mk. III Filters proved themselves to be exemplary performers, as I noted in my earlier review. Every one of them is clearly of Brutus Award quality, and will receive them.

The Center Stage Feet proved to be a remarkable experience. Joe warned me in advance that the initial experience with them would be…well, unpleasant.

"You aren't going to like it at first," said Joe.

And he was right.

First Joe, Joy and I listened for a while to the system, so that they could get a baseline sense of what it sounded like. Once they had that down, we placed a number of these devices, four per component, under all key elements of our reference system. Then we fired things up again, and gave another listen.

Ugh!

It really was horrible! Everything sounded…yes, chaotic. Frequency ranges were strangely disconnected from each other and inorganic, harmonics and tonalities were off, even soundstaging and imaging sounded flummoxed and befusticated.

Wow. I listened for a few minutes, and then we all decided that enough was enough.

"Don't worry," Joe told me. "Give it about 10 days, and then you'll hear it all really begin to come together. It's go up and down before then…but after then, it will come to amaze you."

I've known Joe for a long time, and have pretty deep experience with his design genius, and so took him at his word.

And you know, he was right again.

The effect of the Center Stage Feet once the system stabilized was to create a serious enveloping effect. It was extraordinary; it was if a two-channel system was shape-changing into a surround system. Greater depth, too. More gob-smacking audio space voyaging!

Interestingly, the effect was further enhanced with the arrival of the Synergistic Research system…better and better still! (Note: SR System installed after CS feet - JL)

Damn…the CMS QXK/Mk. III designs and the Center Stage Feet really did deliver.

And since they did, so will I: The Critical Mass Systems QXK Rack, MXK Spikes, Mk. III Filters, and the Center Stage Feet all receive Brutus Awards in 2017, and "Ye Olde Editor's Very Highest Recommendation!" with pleasure.

Critical_Mass_Sysstems_Black_Center_Stage.jpg
For more information on Critical Mass Systems components, contact:

Joseph Lavrencik, Critical Mass Systems

info@criticalmasssystems.com

Center Stage Feet: Designed and manufactured in the USA by Critical Mass Systems

Sold through Pitch Perfect Sound

Steve Williams

9 Raes Creek Lane

Coto De Caza, CA 92679

sales@pitchperfectsound.com

www.pitchperfectsound.com

All photographs and processing by Robinson

Here is the full text link: https://positive-feedback.com/audio...-robinsons-brutus-awards-2017-part-the-first/ - Dr. David W. Robinson, Editor-in-Chief, Positive Feedback, Issue 94

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow nice congrats.

Steve Williams

Contemplating jumping ship then Kedar ? ;)
It would be interesting to compare these against one of my sets of GDR Mook's.

Just let me know when you want to. We now have a comparison of CS vs Q-Pods

Steve Williams

Posted here by Mountain Joe who has now ordered these on 4 separate occasions for his system

Ok, I’ve been busy with work, audiophile events, and what-not but now able to do some serious A/B/A/C/A comparisons of the CS footers.

In this case the footers in question are under my PS Audio DS DAC (running Huron FW) and they’ve now settled in for 3 weeks so I assume they’ve reached their peak performance or pretty close to it.

In the above sequence:

A = CS footers
B = stock feet on the DAC
C = Magico QPods (3)

I listened to Rickie Lee Jones CD (redbook) – I find this original CD was very well mastered and is a good reference for such comparisons.

I first listened to several tracks with the CS footers- having not touched them in 3 weeks. The sound was open, dynamic, with punchy, tight base, lots of air around the vocals and instruments, with an immersive soundstage.

The vocals in particular convey a sense of realism that I never knew my DAC was capable of.

I then removed the CS footers and let the DAC rest on its stock feet. I immediately noticed the soundstage shrank with most of the energy coming from between the speakers whereas with CS it was extended beyond my speakers – but also more evenly distributed in space (i.e. not squished between the speakers).

More notably, the imaging was more vague with instruments bleeding over into the dead space between (especially in the bass region) – i.e. there was less air between the instruments and less definition in the imaging. The bass was less articulate with noticeable bloom. And lastly the vocals lost that sense of realism and tonal correctness.

I then re-inserted the CS footers as close to their original locations as possible and everything came back as noted above. Lots of clear, open, air between the instruments, articulate bass, and very realistic vocals.

Next came the QPods – this was a bit easier to manage as they are taller than the CS footers so I left the CS footers in place and simply lifted the DAC and inserted the 3 QPods close to the 2 CS footers in the back and one in the center front.

The QPods provided a more “analog” sound to the DAC with more definition in the imaging than the stock feet, but not as good as the CS footers. Still noticed some blooming in the bass but better soundstage than the stock feet. If I hadn’t heard the CS footers, I would probably be happy with the sound of the QPods but the CS footers take my DAC to another level of realism, bass definition, and airy, open, immersive soundstage.

I then removed the QPods and let the DAC settle back onto the CS footers that were still in place. Again, the air, the bass, the immersive realism all came back.

Btw – Joe sent me a shim as I couldn’t get all four footers to make contact under my DAC so I used one of these under one of the footers. The shim is aluminum and 1/32” thick – it is placed under the footer where it contacts the shelf per Joe’s instructions.

As a final note, I have to say after listening to several albums in a variety of formats, the realism in the vocals brought out by the CS footers is sometimes startling. Closest I’ve heard digital playback come to sounding live. This is true of the instruments as well but most prominent in vocals imo.

I’m still letting the footers under my phono stage settle in and will report on those in a week or so.

For my DAC, the CS footers are by far the most significant upgrade I’ve made and easily worth the $1,200. Btw the three QPods are $900 for comparison – I will now be using these in my second system ??

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations Joe and Steve - it is great to see the Center Stage footers getting the recognition they deserve. But the Positive Feedback article does not refer one aspect of the footers - they are terribly addictive : even the local UPS man started commenting about the small boxes I am getting from the US and I am going to need a few more ...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Steve!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi microstrip

I have to say that this is a huge compliment. In my opinion, opera is THE most difficult genre of music to reproduce free of dynamic compression. In many operatic pieces, the demands composers place upon the human voice intentionally creates violent dynamic swings that obfuscate musical reproduction. When you say that the human voice is “realistic” and “natural” and separate from the orchestral passages, you speak directly to me. You tell me that I have done my job right. It took me 17 years and a completely innovative approach to problem solving to fully get that right. I say to you, thank you. Thank you for those words. You have no idea how deeply gratifying those sentences are.

One question, if you don’t mind. Can you remind me which components CS is under?

I have been using the footers under the cj GAT , the ARC REF40 and the DCS Vivaldi DAC - those have all gone through more than the 10 day burn-in day. Yesterday I inserted 2 sets under the ARC REF250's - I am switching for the Lamm M1.2's while the ARC go through the burn-in time using load resistors. I have now figured somewhat better your brilliant approach - having experienced several times the burn-in raggedness opened my mind to the alternative formulations of the second law of thermodynamics. :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing