Compression drivers / Horn FR graphs ( Vitavox S2 )

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Peter is this the one David and Tang are using?
Very nice comparison this frenchmen did .
This unit measures very good , quit surprising 700 Hz - 6 khz Flat :cool:
I dont know how your speaker measures but i suppose its something similar as the Vitavox S2 / Stereolab SL 600 combo regarding High Freq extension , so may be it wouldn t be a bad idea to add a high freq unit
For example a + - 102 db spec Klangfilm 16 .jpg FR 16 .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think if i ever was going to do something with Horns it ll be a 2 way system with either the TAD 4001 or TAD 2002 compression drivers , well made with extremely nice flat FR up to 20 khz

The TD-4001 is of the rear compression design, which eliminates the resonance and phase distortion produced by a surround. It also eliminates cavity resonance interference, achieving very flat frequency response, extremely natural sound and superb definition. A phasing plug helps smooth the response of extra high frequencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRJAZZ

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter is this the one David and Tang are using?
Very nice comparison this frenchmen did .
This unit measures very good , quit surprising 700 Hz - 6 khz Flat :cool:
I dont know how your speaker measures but i suppose its something similar as the Vitavox S2 / Stereolab SL 600 combo regarding High Freq extension , so may be it wouldn t be a bad idea to add a high freq unit
For example a + - 102 db spec View attachment 107798 View attachment 107799

Andro, I do not know the compression driver or horn that David and Tang have in their speakers. Contact ddk and ask.

my speakers go to about 15,000 Hz. I have not measured them in the room. I do not want to add a high frequency tweeter for extension. I have spoken to people who feel strongly that that would ruin the design of my speaker. They’re just the way I want them. If I had heard issues I would not have bought them.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think if i ever was going to do something with Horns it ll be a 2 way system with either the TAD 4001 or TAD 2002 compression drivers , well made with extremely nice flat FR up to 20 khz

The TD-4001 is of the rear compression design, which eliminates the resonance and phase distortion produced by a surround. It also eliminates cavity resonance interference, achieving very flat frequency response, extremely natural sound and superb definition. A phasing plug helps smooth the response of extra high frequencies.

The 4001 lowest crossover point is 600 Hz and the 2002 lowest crossover point is 800 Hz. My crossover is at 500. I would think 500 is better in a two way design, asking the woofer not to go as high. More range for the human voice. Just a guess. Perhaps it doesn’t make such a difference, but I would think for a two-way design, the crossover point would be critical.

what do you think?

Reactions: the sound of Tao

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Andro, I do not know the compression driver or horn that David and Tang have in their speakers. Contact ddk and ask.

my speakers go to about 15,000 Hz. I have not measured them in the room. I do not want to add a high frequency tweeter for extension. I have spoken to people who feel strongly that that would ruin the design of my speaker. They’re just the way I want them. If I had heard issues I would not have bought them.

Fair enough .
At 15000 hz they are 10 - 13 db down from your midrange SPL (assuming your horn / compression driver combo will produce something similar as the first graph)
Which can make it sound a bit dull on certain recordings .

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff1225

acg

Dec 25, 2013
Regarding the Vitavox S2, I am using two pair in my 6 way horn system. The first is 600Hz - 1kHz in a 250Hx tractrix, second is from 3.2kHz and it rolls off at 12kHz in a 400Hz tractrix. 12kHz and up is handled by a RAAL Lazy Ribbon for which I am considering horn loading.

I think if i ever was going to do something with Horns it ll be a 2 way system with either...

If you want the best that horns can offer, I would recommend an active system with at least 4 ways. Two way will not cut it...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Indeed , off course as you say implementation is key
Does anybody know what brand of compression drivers Admire is using and VIVA ?
These horn designs sounded the best to me last year in Munich .

Reactions: mtemur

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Regarding the Vitavox S2, I am using two pair in my 6 way horn system. The first is 600Hz - 1kHz in a 250Hx tractrix, second is from 3.2kHz and it rolls off at 12kHz in a 400Hz tractrix. 12kHz and up is handled by a RAAL Lazy Ribbon for which I am considering horn loading.

If you want the best that horns can offer, I would recommend an active system with at least 4 ways. Two way will not cut it...
I’m presuming the ‘fourth way’ being active sub base ?

acg

Dec 25, 2013
I’m presuming the ‘fourth way’ being active sub base ?

Sort of. Enough bass channels to sort out the room frequency response below its Schroder frequency then horn load everything from there on up. For instance, I have three horn loaded channels and the RAAL ribbon above circa 110Hz and that is enough to keep the horns operating optimally (remember a horn is at most a three octave device*, preferably two), but for my room even with a lot of bass absorption (RT60 is 0.2s down to 60Hz!) I need two bass channels below 100Hz to beat the room modes.

*waveguides may operate over a wider frequency range than a true horn

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What i find strange is that TAD doesn t supply FR graphs on the website .
Any unit manufacturer usually does that, same goes for Vitavox

Below is a response of a TD 4003 i found on the net , first of all its not flat up to 20 khz , its breaking up after 9 khz

TAD 4003.jpg

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Use a dayton h 812 horn with b&c de 250 driver impressive sound for 1"driver crossover point 800hz really flat to 18khz FR-DE250.jpg
Need damping on the back side (blutak)then it is really smooth. From 80hz -1khz use a tone tubby 12" alnico 100db/1 watt. Under 80hz a ripol bass . Ready for party sounds really good

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Not sure I agree with you. It is VERY difficult to get good coherence in a multi-way speaker setup and most fail to some degree or another. There are some examples of two or maybe 3-way horns that sound very good and can give the dynamic expression that people go to horns for.

There are some legendary successful examples:
JBL Hartsfield (in 2 or 3 way config)
Vitavox CN191
JBL Paragon (3 way)
Klipschorn and La Scala (3 ways)
Altec VOTT various forms that are 2 ways
Klangfilm Bionors

etc.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Use a dayton h 812 horn with b&c de 250 driver impressive sound for 1"driver crossover point 800hz really flat to 18khz View attachment 107941
Need damping on the back side (blutak)then it is really smooth. From 80hz -1khz use a tone tubby 12" alnico 100db/1 watt. Under 80hz a ripol bass . Ready for party sounds really good
Don't like the sound of plastic diaphragm compression drivers. Ring radiators are better but a good metal dome design to me still sounds the most realistic.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Don't like the sound of plastic diaphragm compression drivers. Ring radiators are better but a good metal dome design to me still sounds the most realistic.
Everyone has their preferences, you don't have to copy them. I just wanted to show that there are other ways than Tad. too expensive for me for what they deliver.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Not sure I agree with you. It is VERY difficult to get good coherence in a multi-way speaker setup and most fail to some degree or another

Thats were measuring comes in .
Just stacking up drivers and adjusting everything by ear is bound to fail.
Thats my opinion ;)

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
The 4001 lowest crossover point is 600 Hz and the 2002 lowest crossover point is 800 Hz. My crossover is at 500. I would think 500 is better in a two way design, asking the woofer not to go as high. More range for the human voice. Just a guess. Perhaps it doesn’t make such a difference, but I would think for a two-way design, the crossover point would be critical.

what do you think?

Hello Peter

I think it is driver/woofer dependent. You can always generalize but there will always be exceptions that will work quite well above 500 Hz in a 2 way design.

Rob :)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thats were measuring comes in .
Just stacking up drivers and adjusting everything by ear is bound to fail.
Thats my opinion ;)
The horn sizes themselves provide a barrier to getting a reasonable time alignment on the speaker...not talking actual time coherence but something that sounds reasonably coherent...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The horn sizes themselves provide a barrier to getting a reasonable time alignment on the speaker...not talking actual time coherence but something that sounds reasonably coherent...

And what about Freq response ?
Unless you conceive yourself as having " Golden ears " lol , measuring FR is far more accurate then your ears.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Perhaps it doesn’t make such a difference, but I would think for a two-way design, the crossover point would be critical.

what do you think?

I think in every loudspeaker design, but, especially, in a two-way design, the crossover point is critical.

Not that I went to loudspeaker design school over the weekend, but I would prefer a 500Hz crossover point over an 800Hz crossover point on the ground that the 800Hz crossover is breaking the midrange frequency range into two big pieces. 500Hz is more in the lower midrange.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing