CLX at Overture in Deleware

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Speakers, like many mechanical things, may require a break-in period. IIRC, from ages ago, some panels seem to require more time than conventional dynamic speakers. That said, my memory s that Maggies took much longer than 'stats, but 100 hours or so seemed enough. YMMV - Don

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Speakers, like many mechanical things, may require a break-in period. IIRC, from ages ago, some panels seem to require more time than conventional dynamic speakers. That said, my memory s that Maggies took much longer than 'stats, but 100 hours or so seemed enough. YMMV - Don

But Sean Olive told it us break-in is a figment of our imagination.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
We are all set to review the newest CLX with subs system. I know Myles loves the MLs. JV did a review a while back and I think it was a rave, but it was sans subs and a first gen CLX. ML is touring the country with the current system, it may be one of the the best buck banger's available. Has anyone "heard" the system on tour? I think the AVShowrooms main studio will be a perfect fit for the MLs. They like to be with in 32" of the rear wall and have a nice wide spread. This will give a 11.5" equilateral triangle listening set up. I believe JV had them (far) closer together.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
11.5' (feet?) Otherwise, that is definitely near-field listening... :)

Missing the bottom octave'ish has always been one of the detractions from the CLX,and trying to find a sub that integrates decently a pain (though worth the effort). What subs do you plan to use, or is ML pairing them with one of their's?

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
Don,

ML has their own subs with gobs of adjustments. I'll make sure I show and describe on camera what they do and how they work. Yes, I'm a near field long wall listener and 11 to 12 feet work for me. I assert that this set up helps to minimize the room. I really enjoy short wall listening but for reviewing I want to take as much of the room out of the equation, so long wall it is. In fact, this is a good thread topic!

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I was joking about the 11.5" (inches) in your post above...

Since panels tend to act as line line sources and do not radiate much from the sides (or top and bottom) I would think you've already taken much of the room out of the equation, especially using near-field position. The back wave is the biggest thing to contend with... I have often preferred them along the "short" wall so I can get the listening room away from the center to reduce the impact of room modes, but there are so many variables (speaker radiation pattern, actual room size, listening position, etc.) I am not sure there is a hard and fast rule. Other than to arrange according to SWMBO if it's not a dedicted room. :)

I am looking forward to your review. While I have heard MLs a few times, I am not sure I have heard their stand-alone subs, certainly not recently.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Peter I think this means 11.5"(11.5 inches) and this means 11.5' (11.5 feet).
11.5" equilateral triangle listening set up.

Which did you mean feet or inches?

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
I must get more sleep before I post " ' " " ' " ' "

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

That's a marriage made in heaven.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I periodically check U-tube for CLX videos.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Not anymore.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing