Ch precision...p1

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Ok. That is easy, but everyone (reviewers) claim it goes to another level with X1, but would certainly do in next couple of weeks. I will be installing units over the weekend.
Thank you 'sig8'. Much appreciated.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Another question; is it necessary to install spikes for P1 and X1. Both units will sit on a shelf (not on top of each other). Do spikes improve sound (isolation)? Thanks.
The spikes will alter the sound. Whether it's better or not is subjective and you should experiment.

Reactions: No Regrets

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 to use with my P1 last November. Still in it's sealed box as found I didn't need it as I could (and did) set up my P1 just with the from menu buttons.

Also have my P1 connected with an ethernet cable but haven't bothered using it i.e. with uploading updated software etc. as I am ok in how it currently sounds with my current UK based system.

p.s. I am also an avid Apple Macbook and iPhone user.
Linking up all CH components into the home network and using a handheld device for remote is very convenient.

However, after finishing all your setting up, please try unplugging all the ethernet cables from all your CH components and listen again.
You will find that the sound is much much improved.
;)

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Linking up all CH components into the home network and using a handheld device for remote is very convenient.

However, after finishing all your setting up, please try unplugging all the ethernet cables from all your CH components and listen again.
You will find that the sound is much much improved.
;)
Mmmm interesting ! Thank you 'CKKeung' for the tip. Much appreciated.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
IME sound improves slightly when CH X1 added to P1 but not too much. I heard X1 in a couple of setups. I heard two P1s and two L1s in mono together with two X1 feeding those 4 components. Every addition slightly improves the sound. If X1 is in the chain I recommend replacing stock umblical cables with better ones. The ones I heard were from Nordost if I’m not mistaken. That’s a big improvement IMHO.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MadFloyd

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
IME sound improves slightly when CH X1 added to P1 but not too much. I heard X1 in a couple of setups. I heard two P1s and two L1s in mono together with two X1 feeding those 4 components. Every addition slightly improves the sound. If X1 is in the chain I recommend replacing stock umblical cables with better ones. The ones I heard were from Nordost if I’m not mistaken. That’s a big improvement IMHO.
Thank you for the interesting feedback 'mtemur' with the CH X1.

I am doubting I will hear any difference at all linking an X1 with my P1 when I am using the P1 connected to my Hifiman EF1000 headphone & speaker integrated (tube pre & ss power) amp with most of my listening with my Susvara Headphones.

At least not £14+k worth of sound difference !

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Thank you for the interesting feedback 'mtemur' with the CH X1.

I am doubting I will hear any difference at all linking an X1 with my P1 when I am using the P1 connected to my Hifiman EF1000 headphone & speaker integrated (tube pre & ss power) amp with most of my listening with my Susvara Headphones.

At least not £14+k worth of sound difference !
I agree.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I’ve just compared CH P1 + X1 vs Aesthetix Io Eclipse and I am very impressed. I am thinking of selling my Io to finance the purchase of P1. It’s not night and day difference, but it sounded just so much cleaner. Now , whenever I listen to Io, I feel it has slightly coloured presentation. But I still have my doubts. I am afraid of loosing a touch of tube magic that comes with Aesthetix, also, what if this ultra clean presentation of CH is not good for long term listening? Any thoughts? Has anyone moved from a tube phonostage to P1?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I’ve just compared CH P1 + X1 vs Aesthetix Io Eclipse and I am very impressed. I am thinking of selling my Io to finance the purchase of P1. It’s not night and day difference, but it sounded just so much cleaner. Now , whenever I listen to Io, I feel it has slightly coloured presentation. But I still have my doubts. I am afraid of loosing a touch of tube magic that comes with Aesthetix, also, what if this ultra clean presentation of CH is not good for long term listening? Any thoughts? Has anyone moved from a tube phonostage to P1?

They are such different presentations. It does not matter if someone has moved one way or the other. They are so different only you can answer.

There is also the point of synergy with cartridge , downstream preamp, type of recordings you listen to, etc.

These are the kind of questions you need to answer on your own. All I can say is if your system changes, and if your music tastes and type of recordings selected changes, your preference might change one way or the other.

And then there are thrax mk2 and Allnic 8000 as well, which people might move to from Aesthetix, so tube to tube.

Based on forum conspiracy theory, you will end up with SETs horns. So you might need a third phono

Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
No, they are not that different. At least my Io is not with all the stock tubes replaced with NOS Telefunken and other best NOS tubes available.

Reactions: bonzo75

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi 'abeidrov', Did you try the P1 vs the Io without the CH X1 as well ? If so, how what were the sonic differences you heard of the stand-alone P1 vs the P1 + X1 ?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi, I tried both P1 and L1 without X1 briefly, but I can’t say there was a significant difference. Maybe my ears are not good enough.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I enjoy the best of both worlds.
I have an Allnic 7000 and a CH P1.
I only use the P1 with its current inputs as I find the “standard” MM/MC input under par at this level.
If you use cartridges with low impedance, the P1 is one of the best phonos out there.

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi, I tried both P1 and L1 without X1 briefly, but I can’t say there was a significant difference. Maybe my ears are not good enough.
Thank you 'abeidrov' for your reply and feedback. Much appreciated.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I enjoy the best of both worlds.
I have an Allnic 7000 and a CH P1.
I only use the P1 with its current inputs as I find the “standard” MM/MC input under par at this level.
If you use cartridges with low impedance, the P1 is one of the best phonos out there.
Have you tried a CH X1 'iaxel' with your L1, P1 and C1.2 ?
How do you find the sound with your CH stack compared to other systems you have heard at this level ?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Have you tried a CH X1 'iaxel' with your L1, P1 and C1.2 ?
I have not.
How do you find the sound with your CH stack compared to other systems you have heard at this level ?
In my system, I have yet to compare it to similar level electronics.
I have the Aries Cerat Genus as well, and I find it at a very high level for an integrated amp.
As a follow-up, I plan to further explore Aries Cerat electronics.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I have not.

In my system, I have yet to compare it to similar level electronics.
I have the Aries Cerat Genus as well, and I find it at a very high level for an integrated amp.
As a follow-up, I plan to further explore Aries Cerat electronics.
A+
I have wondered how the Aries Cerat Genus would compare with my Hifiman EF1000 with my Susvara headphones and also with the CH i1 integrated !

Online reviews for the Genus is impressive readings for it's performance etc. The CHi1 also has great online reviews too.

Would also like to hear a full Aries Cerat System too at the same level as the CH 1 series of components as well as a full CH 1 series stack.

How does your Genus sound compared to your CH L1 & A1.5 ?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
How does your Genus sound compared to your CH L1 & A1.5 ?
The CH combo drives my speakers better. But the Genus has a magical tone to it that I could easily live with even if underpowered.
The Genus is not at all an “entry” level amp.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi All,
Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger just before Christmas and one day after my 61st birthday on 20th Dec in purchasing a pre-owned CH X1 (with one power output card) for my P1 here in the UK !

After going back home home for Christmas and New Year to Spain on 21st Dec and flying back to the UK evening of the 1st Jan and a lot of work to do last week, I only had chance yesterday late afternoon and evening to update the X1 and my P1 to the latest CH firmware, set-up and connect the X1 to the P1. Before I connected the X1 to the P1 I listened to a couple of tracks on couple of albums I know well and then connected the X1 to the P1.

Well, the way I can overall describe and conclude what I was initially hearing the first few minutes of listening with the X1 connected to the P1 last night was like the P1 was on steroids ! lol :)

Today I been critically listening to vinyl playback with the X1 and P1 on all music genres I possess playing both new and older records for well over 5 hours straight and it's just fantastic what I am hearing. The sound is just addictive.

I was very apprehensive at first in purchasing a CH X1 to go with my P1 with only undertaking most of my vinyl listening with my Hifiman TOTL Headphone System as I didn't think it would make or even any difference to the sound at all (i.e. to inprove it) and taking into account the cost outlay of even a pre-owned CH X1.
However, I am now so glad I did purchase the X1 as the sound improvement is just amazing. The CH X1 connected to my CH P1 has given me more detail throughout all of the music frequencies (yet more musicality), a wider and deeper sound stage, and effortless flow of the music itself.

So, if there are other WBF members out there thinking will the CH X1 connected to the P1 improve the sound (assuming the rest of the hifi component chain is ok etc.) and is it worth purchasing one ?, then I can give an emphatic 100% YES !

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I’m sorry if this question has been asked before: is there any downside, except for increased electricity bill, to have P1 and L1 permanently switched on?
Also, can I use both XLR and RCA outputs at the same time and connect them to L1?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing