CES 2016: Amir's day 2 mini-blog

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, day 2 was an entirely different affair at CES 2016. The crowds picked up hugely. Not as much as RMAF at the peak but way, way more people than day one. Fortunately everyone was well showered and you could walk around breathing through your nose.

I saw probably 50+ systems. Lightroom says I have 326 pictures to sort through and post.

What was wonderful was how many people recognized me. I say in two thirds of the suites, people would come and say, "aren't you Amir from whatsbestforum?" "it is so great to finally meet you." And "you run a fantastic forum." One company from Asia actually brought me a gift of expensive looking china tea set and select tea to go with it! And a couple of people actually asked for my autograph.

Sadly none of the above is true but felt good writing it :D. OK, some were true. I did run into people who were on the forum and all had positive things to say. I introduced myself to manufacturers as WBF missionary so hopefully the drop by to see what I am writing about them.

Opposite of RMAF, I found most systems to sound warm and pleasant. Gone was high-pitch demo tracks/systems that I heard in room after room at RMAF.

There were more candidates for good sound and day started early with Gary's Genesis room. Sadly I was so enthralled with the great music and sound he produced that I took no pictures! Have to go back and remedy that. But what a pleasure it was to see a high-end system and have it play like a high-end system. Beautiful sound and even better conversations with Gary and Carol. The new Fortè sounded great (I am biased of course). Having back firing tweeters helps substantially to even out the radiation all around. Other than horizontal dipole plane through the loudspeakers, you almost had an omni-directional loudspeaker. This should make placement very easy. The sound will be diffused although I was surprised at the fact that this was not overwhelming (a good thing in my book). It plays like a half way between a dipole and point source loudspeakers.

Hit MSB for my usual fix of great digital sound and they did not dissapoint:

Picked up some music to buy later which I will post in my full show report.

While on the theme of three letter companies, I also spent quality time with MBL. I must say, it was a much better sound than I remembered at other shows. Very good dynamics, clean bass that caused shivers through my seat. They had these interesting diffusers around them which I will post later.

Dali had very nice sounding speakers for just $3,800. I have been on a mission to find lower cost good sounding gear and there is more of it here than at RMAF.

Went to Sony booth to listen to their system and boy, did they blow it. Their employees would stand in the back of the room and loudly talk to other people. Kidding around, etc. What the heck? How are we supposed to audition systems with that going on? And on top of that, they would keep the volume so low. Spend all this money to come and with no supervision and understanding of why you are there, you waste all of that.

My notes say that EMM Labs had some of the best sound today. But it doesn't say why! So there, you have all that I know sans the pictures to come later.

Raidho's D-31 tower speakers sounded very nice with excellent selection of music that matched them. But once I heard they cost $65,000, it made no sense. They just don't look like $65,000 speakers. And if I am paying that much, I expect it to look like a $65,000 speaker, darn it. :D

Kudos to D'Agostino not for the sound they produced because there were none in their room. But for having these beautiful and massive bouquets of flower that gave a very fresh and pleasant scent to the room.

The day ended with a music session at Believe High Fidelity suite again. They played an organ piece that knocked my socks off in the first two seconds. And then lasted many more minutes. Driven by 60 watt a channel tube amp, these efficient loudspeakers produce dynamics and clarity that is unbelievable. Words cannot describe the experience.

That's it for now. Have to run off to the show....

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The Raidho speakers are very pricey I think for what they are but they sound excellent.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Words cannot describe the experience.
That's what it's all about Amir! :D Finding your own version of audio bliss. Please do tell if you ever get around to it. ;)

Tom

TitaniumTroy

Jan 11, 2011
South Bend IN
I too liked what I heard of the Raidho's at AXPONA 2015, Scansonic is their lower priced brand. Did not hear those so can't comment on how they compare. Thanks for the show report Amir, any chance you will be at AXPONA 2016 in Chicago?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My pleasure Andrew. I am beat now but kind messages like yours keep me going until my 8:00pm flight today.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I just developed a mental block on the name :). It is a very famous track. I will ask Joshua for the name.

The Bach Toccata???

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing