Cartridge - headshell for the Bokrand tonearm

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
What do you fellas think about pairing Bokrand with a cartridge like Koetsu Rosewood Signature?
Just a guess, but given the 2 counterweights, and the possibility of mass-loading the headshell, it may work well, considering the arm is 1/10th the price of a Rosewood Signature (not that price means as much as it should). The compliance is in the middle range (10 -12 I think), and that too is in the Bokrand's range. I've only heard the Rosewood once, mounted on a Fidelity Research FR-64x, and it was really good...

Reactions: gramofonia

gramofonia

Jun 22, 2022
Just a guess, but given the 2 counterweights, and the possibility of mass-loading the headshell, it may work well, considering the arm is 1/10th the price of a Rosewood Signature (not that price means as much as it should). The compliance is in the middle range (10 -12 I think), and that too is in the Bokrand's range. I've only heard the Rosewood once, mounted on a Fidelity Research FR-64x, and it was really good...
Thanks Robert! I have Soundsmith Paua MKII that I will try with Bokrand. Waiting for the Soundsmith headshell to arrive. Considering swapping Soundsmith with Koetsu, hence the question. Otherwise I will use Ortofon SPU Classic as daily driver but was interested in compatibility between Koetsu and Bokrand.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
Thanks Robert! I have Soundsmith Paua MKII that I will try with Bokrand. Waiting for the Soundsmith headshell to arrive. Considering swapping Soundsmith with Koetsu, hence the question. Otherwise I will use Ortofon SPU Classic as daily driver but was interested in compatibility between Koetsu and Bokrand.
I’m always surprised by this arm. It’s a testament both to the quality and intelligence of the original Ortofon components, but also to Alfred Bokrand’s creativity, ear and skill. It is magical with an SPU, but i also found it quite good with a broad range of mm and mi cartridges that shouldn’t sound good in it, like a Pickering xsv-3000, and a B&O SP-12.

in the overly hyped and overpriced audio market we are in, the Bokrand is a star. Of the many arms i have (a problem, i’m a bit of a pack-rat for cool kit), it is surpassed in use onlty by the amazing Schroeder Reference, which has the benefit of an Allaerts MC-1b mounted on it. With the Bokrand, i have many options, and find working with various other headshells to find the right match very enjoyable.

i do wish that the Bokrand could have a simple VTA adjustment, like the Pete Riggle VTA for Rega from a number of years back, as that’s a bit of a crap shoot when i switch out carts as much as i do.

just picked up a Monster Genesis 2000 Sigma (ZYX, essentially) that i can’t wait to try in the Bokrand. I’m a sucker for older cartridges of any variety, ever since discovering Joseph Long and his restoration services.

Best of luck with the Koetsu. If it doesn’t work for you, let me know: I’m sure i have an arm it will work well in, and would gladly take it off your hands. ;)

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
54ADEE82-8C55-4CBB-9C2D-7F7F7D88CC02.jpeg
Right now an AT-ART9XA in an AT-LH13H. Works very well indeed.

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Indeed. My first thought was «explosive».

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert Young

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
I wonder how nuch of that is due to A-T’s design to reduce magnetic interference? The only other cartridge i’ve used with that kind of awesome dynamic drive and speed is a Micro Acoustics 3002, which is an electret…

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
It’s great but I wish they would put a MicroLine needle on it. Sounds to me like the Shibata may have trouble with end of the side operatic climaxes.
They could all it the XM. Three Scania truck style cartridges with Citroën style names.

gramofonia

Jun 22, 2022
I’m always surprised by this arm. It’s a testament both to the quality and intelligence of the original Ortofon components, but also to Alfred Bokrand’s creativity, ear and skill. It is magical with an SPU, but i also found it quite good with a broad range of mm and mi cartridges that shouldn’t sound good in it, like a Pickering xsv-3000, and a B&O SP-12.

in the overly hyped and overpriced audio market we are in, the Bokrand is a star. Of the many arms i have (a problem, i’m a bit of a pack-rat for cool kit), it is surpassed in use onlty by the amazing Schroeder Reference, which has the benefit of an Allaerts MC-1b mounted on it. With the Bokrand, i have many options, and find working with various other headshells to find the right match very enjoyable.

i do wish that the Bokrand could have a simple VTA adjustment, like the Pete Riggle VTA for Rega from a number of years back, as that’s a bit of a crap shoot when i switch out carts as much as i do.

just picked up a Monster Genesis 2000 Sigma (ZYX, essentially) that i can’t wait to try in the Bokrand. I’m a sucker for older cartridges of any variety, ever since discovering Joseph Long and his restoration services.

Best of luck with the Koetsu. If it doesn’t work for you, let me know: I’m sure i have an arm it will work well in, and would gladly take it off your hands. ;)

Yes, on the fly VTA adjustments would be great. I have never owned "older" cartridges, only new modern ones but with Bokrand tonearm am keen to explore more. Starting with old modern Ortofon SPU Classic. Hopefully many more will find their way to this new chapter in my hifi adventure.

I will keep you in the loop regarding Koetsu ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing