Capital Audiofest 2023

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot,

I was in the room for much more than the Tool cut. The rest of the time the sound was similarly excellent. I mentioned the Tool cut as impressed me almost as much as it did when I heard the LP on the WE system at Munich. Given my admitted bias towards horns is saying a lot.

Beau
Beau thanks again. I was trying to make a point about shows . I do appreciate your thoughts and we are glad you enjoyed it.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Beau thanks again. I was trying to make a point about shows . I do appreciate your thoughts and we are glad you enjoyed it.
Elliot,

Understood. Generally over the years I have found that the sound at shows correlates fairly well with the sound of the equipment in a well set up room/system. Given that most shows provide equally "challenging" environments the sound isn't perfect but does contain the DNA of the brands exhibiting. There are a few outliers in either direction given set up expertise or local conditions.

The Wadax in your room was the unicorn for me. Rarely have I experienced a 180 in my opinion of a line that listening to your setup at CAF. I had heard Wadax since they debuted and I had never been impressed but in your system the Wadax played nice. I don't have any illusions that I could tease out Wadax's contribution to the overall sound but what I do know is that I left your room with a smile each time.

Beau

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
…but what I do know is that I left your room with a smile each time.

Beau
Wow, in a forum with a lot of dust-up and sniping lately, its nice to see somebody say something nice.

Good on you.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot,

Understood. Generally over the years I have found that the sound at shows correlates fairly well with the sound of the equipment in a well set up room/system. Given that most shows provide equally "challenging" environments the sound isn't perfect but does contain the DNA of the brands exhibiting. There are a few outliers in either direction given set up expertise or local conditions.

The Wadax in your room was the unicorn for me. Rarely have I experienced a 180 in my opinion of a line that listening to your setup at CAF. I had heard Wadax since they debuted and I had never been impressed but in your system the Wadax played nice. I don't have any illusions that I could tease out Wadax's contribution to the overall sound but what I do know is that I left your room with a smile each time.

Beau
Wadax is truly a unique and special product and if I/We have failed in our set ups at shows well that is on us. As you know its never one thing its the system and the installation and set up of the system. I was thrilled this year to have a team of passionate people and we managed to achieve our goal. I guess a stubborn old man ( me) can still learn . Thank you to Brandon and Jonathan for the huge assists.

Reactions: gleeds and beaur

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Wow, in a forum with a lot of dust-up and sniping lately, its nice to see somebody say something nice.

Good on you.
Bob,

Thanks. I too watch and wonder what causes such vitriolic disagreement in a space where joy should be the norm. I readily admit my preference for horns/SET /analogue, but I can still sit in front of the technological tour de force of a system like Elliot provided and admit that it's damn fun to listen to.

When people come over and don't like my system I'll usually give them another drink or more food until I force them to like it! :) Killing them with kindness is my motto.

Beau

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013

Good on you.
the Bayer room was typical Amazing sound as well.
at shows I tell anyone even strangers rooms to try if on that floor. It’s easy to pick out people who are just there.
While MBL seems to be more what’s commented on the bayers are far more interesting and play anything well.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I too like horns as well as line source planners
box speakers can be amazing if done well.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
One more tidbit about CAF. Think it was the Matterhorn Audio room with the big Kroma loudspeakers. Need to mention them using a "bad" room feature to their benefit. Somewhere up in the ceiling of their huge room there must have been a loose panel as there was an obvious rattle. The presenter played a very bass heavy track from a movie soundtrack (Bladerunner 2049) purposely(at least it appeared that way) rattle the panel to show what the speakers could do. Thought that was a creative way to positively call attention to the system's capabilities.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
One more tidbit about CAF. Think it was the Matterhorn Audio room with the big Kroma loudspeakers. Need to mention them using a "bad" room feature to their benefit. Somewhere up in the ceiling of their huge room there must have been a loose panel as there was an obvious rattle. The presenter played a very bass heavy track from a movie soundtrack (Bladerunner 2049) purposely(at least it appeared that way) rattle the panel to show what the speakers could do. Thought that was a creative way to positively call attention to the system's capabilities.
that room did everything well. it took while for the dsp to show it shelf to me.
At one point I asked him to play a tack he did
Jessica Williams live at YOSSI’s elbow room
very alive sound but at some points I thought I heard it clipping. I asked him to lower it just a bit 3 db or so and it stopped. it’s a huge room and it played wonderful music.

Triode Pete

Mar 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
www.triodewirelabs.com
Unfortunately I was only there for Friday and a brief time Saturday morning. After having not been to CAF since the date switch I spent most of my time catching up with friends in their rooms and not really listening too closely. Missed many of the rooms but I will say that the quality of the rooms I visited was very good overall. No real clunkers from my sample. I decided to only comment on a couple of rooms that "surprised" me as I am generally a Horn/SET guy.

1. Bending Wave (Gobel/Riviera/Wadax) - I have heard Gobel before and my general impression has been, "nice for a box speaker" the room at CAF was fantastic. I almost walked out when I saw the Wadax in the room as I have been disappointed in them in the past, glad I didn't. I was lucky enough to be in the room when they played Tool's Fear Inoculum. That track was an awesome display of what a modern audio system can do.

2. Merrill Audio (Heed/Genesis/Wand) - Maybe it was meeting Gary in person for the fist time and having a nice conversation about aquariums or maybe it's because I like Heed but I thought that this simple little system was one I could live with if I was forced to buy a box type speaker. I sat there much longer than intended just listening to great music.

3. Border Patrol/Triode Wire/Living Voice - Heard this system many times over the years. Those new Living Voice speakers brought it to another level.

I briefly saw the back of Ron's head as he was boarding an elevator but he was moving too fast to catch. Sorry I missed connecting with others as I was too busy copying down Jeff Catalano's playlist for yet another LP buying binge to come!

Beau
Hey Beau - Great seeing you at CAF! Glad you enjoyed our room! You're always welcome to come over for a little "Music Appreciation" session with my Volti K-horns, BP Parallel SET 300B, BP preamp as well as some vinyl...

Cheers,
Pete

Reactions: beaur

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
There were two dart zeel rooms each very different
Anyone ha e a comments ?
Honest question ok

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Both were equally bad. I can't explain the [problem.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Anyone seen any reviewer 'best rooms' lists that chime in with their own experience?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Excuse me Ron, I am getting old, but that appears to be at odds with your hot take on you tube. Perhaps you had a change of heart, or my memory is bad. .

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Excuse me Ron, I am getting old, but that appears to be at odds with your hot take on you tube. Perhaps you had a change of heart, or my memory is bad. .

I don't think so. No, no change of heart on either darTZeel system.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Did anyone hear the horn speakers in the Deja Vu Audio room? They used a YL 5500 driver on a YL horn. The bass was handled by a pair of 18” drivers crossing in around 200 Hz. 8DFE3570-30E2-4A36-AE35-73948734F6EC.jpeg CDBA4C7E-1A12-4806-AF84-0FAE71C4DFD8.jpeg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I did go to thier room. I di not stay because I did not care for the music they were playing at the time.
When it comes to classic audio they are the place to go. Especially for horns,set and vinyl

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I was completely baffled that Jacob Heilbrunn commented favorably on the darTZeel driving AG Duos that I heard.

You can hear what I'm talking about clearly in this video even.
This is the worst in room video I’ve ever heard! Exemplifies avant-garde at it’s absolute worst with the terrible horn coloration. If I didn’t see the vinyl playing, I would’ve guessed this was a very poorly set up digital streaming.

It’s a little surprising to me, because I tried DartZeel with my former AG duo mezzos And they sounded really nice together.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing