Camcorder help

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi guys,

The kids are at that age where they've got a lot of programs and performances. Typically, I take the stills and the wife takes the video. My wife was away so I asked my eldest to take over video duty for the little guy's playlet. I was a bit shocked when I hear her asking the nanny where the blank TAPES were :eek: Turns out I hadn't gotten a new Camcorder in years except for a couple of waterproof Sanyos with poor "terrestrial" video quality for snorkeling. The wifey hadn't asked for one.

I don't want to take videos with a DSLR so tempting as he D800 may be, I would like to keep the separation of duties as is. :) I'd like a camcorder that is light so a light pan head tripod can be used. Most of its use will be in darkened small or medium sized auditoriums so low light capability is a must and zoom not a big issue. Also looking for a unit that has good auto white balance. Storage card type not an issue either.

I know what I want but don't know where to start. I would appreciate all advice. Budget is 2k max.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I went shopping for a unit last year and bought the panasonic. It was the only one that did progressive capture at 1080p then. Alas, these technologies change fast so there are probably newer units. A very good resource is this site: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

The things to look for are high bitrates for encoding. When light drops, the sensor noise goes up. In the old days of analog, that is all you got. Now you get compression artifacts on top of noise which makes for an ugly picture.

Prices are well under $1,000 unless you want interchangeable lenses and such.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Amir. Looking at that site and similar ones, it looks like the Canon would be my choice if I were to be the one using it. The Panasonic and Sony look great for the wife who doesn't bother with features. I'll keep on looking around :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing