Cable Modems

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
When you follow the development of the upcoming Taiko router also sonically.

Matt
HmmMMmMMmmmmmm..........

Transporting packets via wifi is 10-50 times more packet jitter. Its also quite random in packet reconstruction and error correction with these taking time and causing jitter too. That is assuming a perfect connection,, like 6 feet between the AP and the device with nothing in the way.

Also I have have clearly discovered there are many flavors of wifi. Wide channels, narrow, 2.4/5/6 ghz, Different modulations, 2x2 - 3x3.. There are different falvors with different versions, wifi 5 VS 6. There are different chipsets and drivers. Even different versions of those drivers.. How a wifi maker implements the chips, IE how fast a CPU, which switch chip, how much ram, what type of V Regulators, what type of shielding.. How the antennas are implemented as there are various methodologies. In the end how clean is the wifi signal itself ? How much extraneous noise does the access point emit ? How much RF travels down the wires connected to it.

SO.. Wifi is highly complex.. MANY factors come into play..

Wifi tho can provide galvanic isolation. Like fiber can do. No copper connections. This can have advantages depending on how much RF and noise is in each system. There can be a lot of RF and noise in a system on components and having the internet isolated from copper connections could be good because the system has other issues.

Wifi also introduces signals into gear. If you have a device using wifi it will radiate a lot of RF noise. If its within say 6 feet of audio interconnects or gear, it will for sure end up in the system.. I covered that in a video...

Now that i have a lot of the WiFi X units out there, people are reporting that using it does indeed help overall system performance indicating wifi is indeed a issue for high end audio systems. SO. I dont think using wifi in close proximity to audio gear is a good idea unless its really well controlled. Low power, narrow channel, 5ghz, the right chips and drivers, from a RF tight enclosure. https://dejitterit.com/SwitchX/WiFiX.htm

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
OMG... The last 3 weeks have been crazy... LOTS of the Switch X + WiFi X have been shipping.. This is all going out this week... Then next week finally back to making some ATVXs.. I am BUSY... So if I don't respond here right away, thats why.. If you ordered a system from Bill. I will be caught up and your unit shipped by mon..

Today.jpg

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
What SFP to RJ45 transceiver do you recommend for your SwitchX?

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I need to put the price on the web site. My distributor is Bill @ gtt audio https://gttaudio.com/

There is a little bit of backlog. Right now expect like 3 weeks.
Xymox, I’m late to the party. Where on the GTT site can I find your creation?

Reactions: DDgtt

DDgtt

May 1, 2023
If there is anyone out there who wants to know more about digital switches and what goes into making the best units on the market, check out these videos:
The Dejitter It - Switch X is in another league. Chris Stephens, the man behind the technology is the authority on this subject!

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Basillus7

Jan 31, 2020
Hi Chris, I know you're busy, but out of curiosity,
I have to ask you what the 3 yellow resistance-like things in the first of the 2 videos above are?
It should be a resistor, but I can't see any lines/color codes.

Ok, the dc cable you use are 2x20gauge mil. spec stranded silver cable,
so must your sensing wire be ridiculous small, when you compare the 2 cables in the video:oops:
Do you also sell your aruba 325 and switch-x to us who live in Europe and they support our power and wifi standards?

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
Hi Chris, I know you're busy, but out of curiosity,
I have to ask you what the 3 yellow resistance-like things in the first of the 2 videos above are?
It should be a resistor, but I can't see any lines/color codes.

Ok, the dc cable you use are 2x20gauge mil. spec stranded silver cable,
so must your sensing wire be ridiculous small, when you compare the 2 cables in the video:oops:
Do you also sell your aruba 325 and switch-x to us who live in Europe and they support our power and wifi standards?
Hmmm... Yellow ? The orange tantalum caps ?

Yes the sensing wire is a VERY low current pair that is bringing back a very wide frequency signal from the unit. A very small dia wire is critically matched impedance wise and the small dia is better at these VERY low currents. Like the wire to a phono cartridge. I very small diameter wire is REQUIRED for sensing. No power flows thru it. This is the wire twisted pair that the linear listens to from the unit in order to cancle noise out.

Yes the IAP-325-RW can work anywhere in the world. I preset each one to the country its going to. Yes the linears are set to 220 as needed. I have been shipping them to a number of European countruies already. They have actually been shipped to most continents in the last 2 months. The Aruba can be reset to any worldwide wifi std in the field as well.

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
What SFP to RJ45 transceiver do you recommend for your SwitchX?

REALLY good question... We have been using the Mikrotik units so far. The S-RJ-01 .. I have tested a bunch of others but so far the Mikrotik sounds great and is easy to use. On some third party SFP modules you have to go into the Mikrotik config for that interface port and uncheck the "auto negotiation" for speed and set it manually to 1Gbps for some modules to work. So its a bit more manual of a process then just using the Mikrotik modules, but so far every module I have tried does work.

USE 1Gbps modules. The SFP+ 10Gbps modules use WAY more power and unless your really using 10Gbps are pointless. More power means more noise. Use a 1Gbps module when hooking to 1Gbps gear.

VERY good question and one I need to do a FAQ page on the Switch X site for.

Basillus7

Jan 31, 2020
@Xymox ”Hmmm... Yellow ? The orange tantalum caps ?”

No, when You starting the video You see 3 yellow resistor-like just under the row of the small orange tantalum caps.

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
@Xymox ”Hmmm... Yellow ? The orange tantalum caps ?”

No, when You starting the video You see 3 yellow resistor-like just under the row of the small orange tantalum caps.

oHHH... on the bench.. Those are also tantalum caps. Special ones :) You are right to ask what they are as they are uncommon. I spend a lot of time measuring parts for the exact application. This brings me to very specific parts of a exact brand and type. This is a small value low voltage tant cap that has specific charestics at the frequencies I needed. I also prefer mil-spec.. This cap is special because of its use in construction of a lot of silver - in all the right places. I do full freq sweeps for ESR/ESL for each part I use and I do it at the voltages and current it will be experencing. These parts, at 2V, were the best part possible at the frequencies, current spectra and bandwidth. https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/447/KEM_T2039_T322_AXIAL_T323-3316824.pdf

I am kinda into material science.. IE Alchemy..

I should point out that my pics and vids online are all not showing fully what I do :) In fact, there are web site pics and vids which are deceiving because they show incomplete stuff or the board when I was still doing development. I do not share everything :)

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
Its all about it being tubular and its layers along with its use of silver in the right places... For this exact circuit where I use it. Picking parts is highly complex if its to be done right and materials science is a good engineering background to also have because understanding what is going on on a atomic scale and what the various materials do, IMHO, is EVERYTHING... At least it is for me..

Untitled-1.jpg

Basillus7

Jan 31, 2020
oHHH... on the bench.. Those are also tantalum caps. Special ones :) You are right to ask what they are as they are uncommon. I spend a lot of time measuring parts for the exact application. This brings me to very specific parts of a exact brand and type. This is a small value low voltage tant cap that has specific charestics at the frequencies I needed. I also prefer mil-spec.. This cap is special because of its use in construction of a lot of silver - in all the right places. I do full freq sweeps for ESR/ESL for each part I use and I do it at the voltages and current it will be experencing. These parts, at 2V, were the best part possible at the frequencies, current spectra and bandwidth. https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/447/KEM_T2039_T322_AXIAL_T323-3316824.pdf

I am kinda into material science.. IE Alchemy..

I should point out that my pics and vids online are all not showing fully what I do :) In fact, there are web site pics and vids which are deceiving because they show incomplete stuff or the board when I was still doing development. I do not share everything :)
Thanks for answers and yes, it had crossed my mind that maybe it could be a tantalum, because they are often yellow. Hmm maybe they will be a good choice to use at the 3.3v, 1.5v, 1.v regulation in my Buffalo Bs-Gs2016 switch…;)

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
Thanks for answers and yes, it had crossed my mind that maybe it could be a tantalum, because they are often yellow. Hmm maybe they will be a good choice to use at the 3.3v, 1.5v, 1.v regulation in my Buffalo Bs-Gs2016 switch…;)

My Switch X has replaced the Buffalo in 3 client systems I know of so far :) Its fairly older network tech and you really want to go to SFP and a system that can do NAT so you can create a isolated clean network with less packet noise . You could always buy a Switch X and open it up and double up what i did :) I did that for my own unit. Going SFP is really good because it isolated each port into its own world. The Mikrotik I am using as base has a killer fast switch chip because its 10Gbps so there is less jitter as packets are processed VERY immd. The switch X is the price of 1 good interconnect cable. I would be happy to help you upgrade the Switch X further too.

BUT YES,, cleaning up power rails is ALWAYS good. But.. That is not where I use those little tants. They also provide killer decoupling for Mhz signals.

Basillus7

Jan 31, 2020
My Switch X has replaced the Buffalo in 3 client systems I know of so far :) Its fairly older network tech and you really want to go to SFP and a system that can do NAT so you can create a isolated clean network with less packet noise . You could always buy a Switch X and open it up and double up what i did :) I did that for my own unit. Going SFP is really good because it isolated each port into its own world. The Mikrotik I am using as base has a killer fast switch chip because its 10Gbps so there is less jitter as packets are processed VERY immd. The switch X is the price of 1 good interconnect cable. I would be happy to help you upgrade the Switch X further too.

BUT YES,, cleaning up power rails is ALWAYS good. But.. That is not where I use those little tants. They also provide killer decoupling for Mhz signals.
Thanks and OK, I will buy a Mikrotik CRS309 switch and send You a PM;)

chopchopbin

Sep 27, 2015

Switch X has SFP outputs but my music server has an ethernet input and no SFP input, what equipment is recommended to convert back to ethernet from SFP?
If the server is PC based, will a SPF network card work? Which brand would you recommend? Thanks.

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
Switch X has SFP outputs but my music server has an ethernet input and no SFP input, what equipment is recommended to convert back to ethernet from SFP?
If the server is PC based, will a SPF network card work? Which brand would you recommend? Thanks.

SFP modules plug into the slots on the Switch X to provide what you need. Typically 3, or more, Ethernet modules which hen provide 3 ethernet connections. You build the switch X into what you need. This can also include optical modules or even a direct attach SFP cable, what Taiko calls a DAC cable.

Sure you could put a SFP+ card into a server and use a direct attach SFP+ cable. But most likely a 1gbps ethernet connect is best.

My distributor, Bill @ GTT, can get you hooked up with the right modules for your need.

This modular approach provides a custom fit into each system and allows the client to play with different methods Ethernet/single mode optical/multi mode optical/direct attach cables. If your settings savvy and confortable doing network settings you could even get into trying out different mfgrs SFP modules. It also allows really detailed tweaks of each port if your really savvy.

Its also 10Gbps ready. So as multigig comes along you can swap out modules and get into multigig.

It runs Mikrotik Router OS and is extremely powerful and nearly infinatly configurable - IF YOUR NETWORKING SAVVY. Its features are are stunning if your into switches and routers. Its flexibility and features leaves devices like Ubiquiti in the dust. https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/RouterOS

I can't really support you if you jump off into your own config tho as you might imagine, so you need to know what your doing to go do this :)

But yes, Bill can get you hooked up with what modules you need to do what you want to do.

Most likely you would need these.. You put in as many as you need. Dont put more then you need. Dont use the 10Gbps modules unless you REALLY have a 10Gbps link.

These just slide into the Switch X.

1703380186400.png

chopchopbin

Sep 27, 2015
SFP modules plug into the slots on the Switch X to provide what you need. Typically 3, or more, Ethernet modules which hen provide 3 ethernet connections. You build the switch X into what you need. This can also include optical modules or even a direct attach SFP cable, what Taiko calls a DAC cable.

Sure you could put a SFP+ card into a server and use a direct attach SFP+ cable. But most likely a 1gbps ethernet connect is best.

My distributor, Bill @ GTT, can get you hooked up with the right modules for your need.

This modular approach provides a custom fit into each system and allows the client to play with different methods Ethernet/single mode optical/multi mode optical/direct attach cables. If your settings savvy and confortable doing network settings you could even get into trying out different mfgrs SFP modules. It also allows really detailed tweaks of each port if your really savvy.

Its also 10Gbps ready. So as multigig comes along you can swap out modules and get into multigig.

It runs Mikrotik Router OS and is extremely powerful and nearly infinatly configurable - IF YOUR NETWORKING SAVVY. Its features are are stunning if your into switches and routers. Its flexibility and features leaves devices like Ubiquiti in the dust. https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/RouterOS

I can't really support you if you jump off into your own config tho as you might imagine, so you need to know what your doing to go do this :)

But yes, Bill can get you hooked up with what modules you need to do what you want to do.

Most likely you would need these.. You put in as many as you need. Dont put more then you need. Dont use the 10Gbps modules unless you REALLY have a 10Gbps link.

These just slide into the Switch X.

View attachment 122218
Thank you for your detailed explanation. You're the BOMB.COM : )
Have a Merry Christmas!

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Chris, another extreme thumbs up on your Switch X and Wifi X. I should have just believed Bill at GTT, as he has never steered me wrong! But I had to hear it myself to believe the easily heard sonic benefits of the Clean Network. I have bought and demo'd many upgraded audio switches, but non approach what Switch X does. In my system, the Switch X alone (replacing my M12 Gold) yields a better and wider soundstage, more focused imaging and more holographic sound. The blacks are blacker. But since I own the very nice M12 Gold, and have the power supply for it (Sean Jacobs, which also powers my Verizon G3100 modem), I put the M12 in front of your Switch X. This 'stacking' of switches, has yielded even better sonics.
Yes, Chris you are the bomb! As an Alchemist myself, I praise your efforts! (Chemistry degree from UM. Fear the turtle!). IMG_2005.jpeg

Reactions: jhulton and DDgtt

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing