Cable LCR specs published?

Site7000

Jul 16, 2011
It seems like the cable companies want you to know everything but their basic specs. Do they even publish those specs? Does anyone test independently for them? Any list on the internet?

Doug

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Basically no. You'll only find published specs from pro audio stuff. Why? Audio companies don't want to undermine the decisions they make regarding everything else besides just the LCR.

You might find someone on ASR testing them. But generally, no. You can watch YouTube videos of people NOT testing audiophile cables to "disprove" them.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
It seems like the cable companies want you to know everything but their basic specs. Do they even publish those specs? Does anyone test independently for them? Any list on the internet?

Doug
Read this.....I think a connection is made by SCIN and signal and chassis ground. My own experience says this is a main measure of cable performance. Whether true or not....Not one cable company talks about or produces data.
I personally believe that a low noise cable can deliver very good performance. I have Gepco quad mic cable made up for IC’s with great results.
I do use NBS that I purchased long ago.
I do not intend to add any more audiophile cables. YMMV
https://www.rane.com/note166.html

Site7000

Jul 16, 2011
I understand the warning against focusing on LRC and ignoring the many other variables that actually affect the sound and aren't measurable. For me, machine testing produces fascinating data, but rarely does more good than to note which cables have weird specs. At this point, you still have to listen to them. I suppose if you were planning a long run, the specs might help. Nonetheless, I'm a curious guy. What other machine tests could be done on a cable? THD? S/N? Pulse? Current limits? Thermals? Flexibility? Somebody could stay very busy on such reporting.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Well Neil Muncy and others focused on shield induced noise, but their concern was in recording studios mostly.
Would it transfer over to consumer gear? I would think so.
The playback side seems to me the part of the chain that needs improving. Cables seem to be the audiophile choice to improve SQ. I just follow what my Studio engineers say should be done..The ones that set studios up electrically and design the grounding schemes. I tend to agree with them. I like the outcome in my system. Good luck

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing