Burmester 911 mk3

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Ciao Rocco! Good to see you over here! You should post that gorgeous picture of your full Burmester system and make everyone jealous :).

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Hi JTein, FWIW, my fav SS amps over the last 20 years are the Forte 4, Krell FPB-series, Gryphon Antileon, Boulder 2060 and Gryphon Colosseum. All are Class A and i have noted the comments Sam Tellig made above, about each of these amps. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Thanks Lloyd. The 911 Mk3 retails for RM59k (Malaysian dollar). For that amount, I can go for a professionally built dedicated listening room with top-of-the-line acoustic treatment. And that's what I plan to do next after my Meridian 808.3 investment. When that's done, I'll take a serious look at Burmester vs Vitus.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Hello to everybody.

I own a mono-pair of Burmester 911 MK3 and a complete Burmester Reference System cabled by Nordost. After a long personal research and listening sessions/comparison of better amps (ss and tube) in the world market today, I didn't find yet an amp and especially a sound so neutral, refined, natural and completed in all parameters. For me that I like to frequently listen live music worldwide, I really love these amps/gears. Astonishing performance especially when them are connected within the same line of components.

Kindest regards,
Rocco

Welcome Rocco to WBF :)

Could you elaborate further what the other better amps that you auditioned against the Burmester? Would the better amps that you referred to include the $120,000 Soulution 700 monoblocks? I wonder how they would fare against Burmester?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Rocco,

Welcome, it's nice to see you here.

Joe

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Welcome Rocco to WBF :)

Could you elaborate further what the other better amps that you auditioned against the Burmester? Would the better amps that you referred to include the $120,000 Soulution 700 monoblocks? I wonder how they would fare against Burmester?

Hi Jtein.

I red that you're from Malaysia that I know very well. At least from 15 years, Penang, Port Klang, Kuantan, Kuala Lumpur, Tanjung Pelepas are places that I normally visit with my vessels.

Going back in topic, I listened side by side with Burmester 911 MK3 monoblock the following amps:

- Gryphon Antileon Signature mono
- Gryphon Colosseum stereo
- MBL 9011
- Nagra VPA
- Spectral 360
- ARC 600
- VTL MB 450 MKII
- Vitus sa-101
- Mcintosh 1201

The Soulution 710 monos I listened/compared with 911's monos in the 2008's in New York to Sound by Singer show-room, driving the Magico M5. I liked very much the sound delicacy of Soulution, but at my ears the 911's monos even maintaining an high quality overall sound, resulted more musical and dynamic was better.

The Burmester monos 911 Mk3 with the preamp Burmester 808 MK5 and cd player 069 is a trio that I personally consider an absolute reference.

Kindest regards.

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Hi Rocco,

Welcome, it's nice to see you here.

Joe

Hi Joe,

nice to meet you again. It's really a pleasure.

Thanks and kindest regards.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joe,

nice to meet you again. It's really a pleasure.

Thanks and kindest regards.

Hi Rocco,

I should have my 911 monos sometime next month. I appreciate all your input advice and can't wait to experience them for myself.

Joe

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Jtein.

I red that you're from Malaysia that I know very well. At least from 15 years, Penang, Port Klang, Kuantan, Kuala Lumpur, Tanjung Pelepas are places that I normally visit with my vessels.

Going back in topic, I listened side by side with Burmester 911 MK3 monoblock the following amps:

- MBL 9011
- Nagra VPA
- Spectral 360
- ARC 600
- VTL MB 450 MKII
- Vitus sa-101
- Mcintosh 1201

The Soulution 710 monos I listened/compared with 911's monos in the 2008's in New York to Sound by Singer show-room, driving the Magico M5. I liked very much the sound delicacy of Soulution, but at my ears the 911's monos even maintaining an high quality overall sound, resulted more musical and dynamic was better.

The Burmester monos 911 Mk3 with the preamp Burmester 808 MK5 and cd player 069 is a trio that I personally consider an absolute reference.

Kindest regards.

Far from faint praise! HAve you comapred the 911MKIII monos to the 909? By the way for those reading it the 808 Preamplifier (My dream preamp and Yes I have heard it several times) was designed in 1980 ...

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Frantz,

I believe that two factory mono 911mk3's should be better than one stereo 909mk5. Two mono 909mk5's are probably off the hook amazingly better.

Joe

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Hi Rocco,

I should have my 911 monos sometime next month. I appreciate all your input advice and can't wait to experience them for myself.

Joe

Hi Joe.

Excellent choice.

When you'll receive them please share your listening experience with us.

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Far from faint praise! HAve you comapred the 911MKIII monos to the 909? By the way for those reading it the 808 Preamplifier (My dream preamp and Yes I have it several times) was designed in 1980 ...

Hi Frantz,

I know very well the 909's monos. Never compared side by side with 911's monos. I listened them a lot of times driving the B80's and B100's. I own the B80's with the 911's monos and at my ears the timbre is a little different. The 909's have more bass-punch and the 911's are more fast in the transients. I love very much the overall sound quality of 911's.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Hi Jtein.

- MBL 9011
- Nagra VPA
- Spectral 360
- ARC 600
- VTL MB 450 MKII
- Vitus sa-101
- Mcintosh 1201

Kindest regards.

Hi Rocco, so nice to know that you know Malaysia quite well. The audiophile scene here is quite hot. And so is the food! When is the next time you're visiting again? Let me know and perhaps we can meet up for a drink.

Wow, you are so privileged to have been able to listen to so many great amps. Two amps you mentioned from the list above are on my shortlist i.e. the Spectral DMA360 and Vitus SS101. If possible, can you elaborate more on how these 2 amps compare with the 911Mk3? I've narrowed my choices down to these 3 actually - the DMA360, SS101 and 911Mk3. So it's really wonderful that you have actually heard them side by side and this would really help me a lot in my decision-making process. Ciao!

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Hi Rocco, so nice to know that you know Malaysia quite well. The audiophile scene here is quite hot. And so is the food! When is the next time you're visiting again? Let me know and perhaps we can meet up for a drink.

Hu Jtein,

I'll do, thank you.

Wow, you are so privileged to have been able to listen to so many great amps. Two amps you mentioned from the list above are on my shortlist i.e. the Spectral DMA360 and Vitus SS101. If possible, can you elaborate more on how these 2 amps compare with the 911Mk3? I've narrowed my choices down to these 3 actually - the DMA360, SS101 and 911Mk3. So it's really wonderful that you have actually heard them side by side and this would really help me a lot in my decision-making process. Ciao!

The difference of 911 mk3 monos Vs DMA 360 is that sonically both of them sound much alike. The German amps have better harmonic richness and detail, neutrality, heightened resolution, silence, transparency, timbral truth and dynamic agility. The Vitus is also a very good amp but at my ears It has not the overall sound quality of Spectral 360 and Burmester 911 Mk3.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Rocco,

I have never had the opportunity to hear Burmester, and noticed you appear to have an all-Burmester system. Could you comment on their speakers? Have you compared them with others? Which ones are you using at the moment? Any particular reason that you are all-Burmester? Thanks for any advice...interested to read until i can hear for myself at some point.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing