Boulder 3060 smooth and a maybe even a bit warm?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You obviously have never heard Wilson XLF speakers powered by a 3060, a combination I owned for two years.

I agree with Gary. Gryphon to me sounds smoother and less sterile in the treble than Boulder.

Just different sonic preferences, Chuck, that's all.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) due to the XLF's inverted dome tweeters (...)

The XLF's do not have an inverted dome tweeter, they have a silk-dome tweeter designed by Wilson Audio that sounds sweet but extremely detailed.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I guess you missed my correction post on the Wilson model I was referring to (see below).

"I verified with the owner just now that the Wilson model I was referring to is an X2 series Alexandra using the Focal inverted dome. With all the model changes Wilson makes one can mistake the model so I apologize for any confusion to you and the members. I have also listened to both the 3060 and Gryphon amplifiers in two different systems using the Alex Vs; and while both are very fine amplifiers the Gryphon was to my ear decidedly more to my liking tonally."

Reactions: Down Under

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
On the topic of sources and pre-amps.

I am somewhat curious about the MSB dac. I have the Rossini dac + clock now but I have read that the MSB is more 'musical'

I am very open and interested in hearing the Koda stuff but I suspect it's a challenging situation to get one for auditioning. I checked their website and they do not even list a US distributor.
The MSB Select 2 DAC is fantastic. Very musical, great transparency and imaging. I finally did a "shoot-out" against the Nagra HD DAC X after making several upgrades to my system and room treatments. The MSB finally won: larger soundstage, more transparent, better micro dynamics, but all by a small margin. On the flip side, the Nagra has more "body" and would benefit systems with a "thin" sound. The NAGRA is a great DAC, much better than mid level DCS in my experience.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
My 3060 is most likely going to arrive just before Christmas. It is being sent along with a 3010 for audition. I plan to listen to the 3010 vs the Nagra HD Preamp vs the VTL TL7.5. I will certainly post on my impressions.

Also, I am hoping to entice Ron into coming by assist with the evaluation since he lives down the road!
The Nagra HD Pre is great. A dealer-friend of mine who sells both Nagra and Gryphon thinks that the current best combo is the Nagra HD Pre and the Gryphon Apex. He likes it better than the Apex with the Commander Pre Amp.

Reactions: bmarq

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
Hi Brian, Thank you for your note. The 3060 was supposed to arrive next week but it is now scheduled for the first week of the new year. They are sending a 3010 with it that I plan to audition alongside a VTL and Nagra pre-amp. Another member is also planning to come over with his Boulder 1110 for comparison. As for cables I am going to trade my Transparent Gen 5 XL stuff for the Gen 6 Opus. Admittedly, the cost of the cables has me questioning my own sanity.

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
I think the XLF has a silk dome tweeter
Yes, it is definitely silk dome. Some, however, may call it "inverted". The Alexandria 1 & 2 had metallic tweeters.
Onward!

RY

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
The MSB Select 2 DAC is fantastic. Very musical, great transparency and imaging. I finally did a "shoot-out" against the Nagra HD DAC X after making several upgrades to my system and room treatments. The MSB finally won: larger soundstage, more transparent, better micro dynamics, but all by a small margin. On the flip side, the Nagra has more "body" and would benefit systems with a "thin" sound. The NAGRA is a great DAC, much better than mid level DCS in my experience.

I don't think either DAC beats the dCS, particularly after the APEX upgrade.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I don't think either DAC beats the dCS, particularly after the APEX upgrade.

I believe a discussion of real world differences, the value of system matchning and personal choice should be the matters of discussion.

There are mostly winners on this elevated level, but the contenders mentioned and more are all different in character and characteristics.

Perhaps we should start by changing the name of this platform and forum from "Whats' best..." to ".........." :)

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
That's fine.

I find the dCS Rossini APEX with Rossini Clock to be more musical than the MSB or NAGRA DACS I've heard, though the both are still very good.

One test I use is I have a few tracks that have piano, and on those tracks some DACs make the leading edge of the piano note almost metallic in character, as if the felt were removed from the piano hammer.

The higher-end dCS DACs get that right; many other DACs including dCS lower-end DACs get it wrong.

Wadia always got it right, and nothing from dCS below a Rossini with clock got it right.

I haven't heard the MSB Reference, but the MSB Reference seemed to get it wrong more often than right.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
That's fine.

I find the dCS Rossini APEX with Rossini Clock to be more musical than the MSB or NAGRA DACS I've heard, though the both are still very good.

One test I use is I have a few tracks that have piano, and on those tracks some DACs make the leading edge of the piano note almost metallic in character, as if the felt were removed from the piano hammer.

The higher-end dCS DACs get that right; many other DACs including dCS lower-end DACs get it wrong.

Wadia always got it right, and nothing from dCS below a Rossini with clock got it right.

I haven't heard the MSB Reference, but the MSB Reference seemed to get it wrong more often than right.

Did you get the chance to hear and experience APL or Playback Designs at some point?

We've got a client who's very sensitive to the rendering of piano in general and the higher octaves and frequencies specifically. He's recently chosen the Playback Designs MPS-8 (CD/DAC) after a period of serious evaluation both in our showroom and at home in his own system. The naturalness and organic qualities of this DAC without loosing out in resolution, definition and separation is very special indeed.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Did you get the chance to hear and experience APL or Playback Designs at some point?

We've got a client who's very sensitive to the rendering of piano in general and the higher octaves and frequencies specifically. He's recently chosen the Playback Designs MPS-8 (CD/DAC) after a period of serious evaluation both in our showroom and at home in his own system. The naturalness and organic qualities of this DAC without loosing out in resolution, definition and separation is very special indeed.

Very interesting. And it should be noted that you have a remarkable collection of brands available for your clients to listen to (including MSB, CH Precision, Ypsilon, Playback Designs, Accuphase, Ayre, PS Audio, Audionet, Mola Mola, CAD, Lindemann, CEC, Norma, SW1X, Canon, COS and Primary).

This is about Boulder, but would love to hear more (either here or elsewhere) about your observations of the CH, APL and Playback vs the Ypsilon which seems closest to the Zanden digital design-wise).

Reactions: Hyperion

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
You obviously have never heard Wilson XLF speakers powered by a 3060, a combination I owned for two years. The XLF uses the Wilson convergent technology tweeter, a standard soft dome. The Wilson X2S2, that I also owned and powered with a 3060, had the inverted titanium tweeter sourced from Focal. I have not heard the Gryphon Apex.
Hi Chuck,
I think you are correct. When I had the Wilson Max 3, it was all about taming the focal tweeter. Since I've had the XLF, I have found that the soft dome tweeter loves more articulation and detail.

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
4 people and it was tricky!

thank you for this! it was, in fact, a ground issue
Hi pk_LA
How is the 3060 progressing?
Rob

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Chuck,
I think you are correct. When I had the Wilson Max 3, it was all about taming the focal tweeter. Since I've had the XLF, I have found that the soft dome tweeter loves more articulation and detail.
We had the X1/Grand SLAMMS and now the XLF as well. I am most intrigued by your custom 4-speaker bass array by Wally Analogue. Is this a custom tower sub array for the XLFs?

That has been the next major project and am trying to decide whether we go for this array/6-pack configuration or a mega sub (dual-opposing 21 or 24") that is designed expressly for sub-40hz. Either way, seeking optimal and effortless, ultra-low distortion air movement for recreation of space, venue and scale.

Thanks for any guidance!

BillK

Aug 25, 2015

I haven't; I wouldn't know where to go.

Near me dCS is pretty much top tier, though MSB floats through a few dealers from time to time.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I haven't; I wouldn't know where to go.

Near me dCS is pretty much top tier, though MSB floats through a few dealers from time to time.

Where are you located?

We're serving clients both locally and remotely (home loans) to avoid the trap of being stuck with the limitations of the local dealer(s) which more often than not only carries the major brand(s). There are many great and different options out there.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Where are you located?

We're serving clients both locally and remotely (home loans) to avoid the trap of being stuck with the limitations of the local dealer(s) which more often than not only carries the major brand(s). There are many great and different options out there.

Colorado, USA.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Wadia? do you mean 'Wadax'?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing