Boulder 3060 smooth and a maybe even a bit warm?

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Wadia? do you mean 'Wadax'?

No, Wadia Digital. Purchased by Fine Sounds then summarily reduced to a brand of "lifestyle" products as they discarded the Digimaster filter algorithm that made them one of the best in the business. (Wadia also had an upgrade for the S7i to allow it to play 24/192 tested and ready to ship, and when Fine Sounds bought them they summarily killed that, too.)

Best DACs I had ever heard until I heard the dCS Rossini with Rossini Clock at roughly double the price of what I paid for my last Wadia, the S7i (pictured below); The Wadia 2000 was the first DAC I had ever heard that made CD sound like… music.

Entertainingly enough, Robert Harley's review of the Wadia X-32 in Stereophile was the first time I found out I could not trust RH's ears as he thought it sonically inferior to the Theta DSPro Basic, which I found to be a listening fatigue box bar none; I demoed about fifteen (!) DACs before purchasing the X-32, my first Wadia, and the Theta either put me to sleep or made me have to shut it off after about ten minutes, every time. The Theta DACs had incredible depth and sound staging, but every one I heard was the very antithesis of musical.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
No, Wadia Digital. Purchased by Fine Sounds then summarily reduced to a brand of "lifestyle" products as they discarded the Digimaster filter algorithm that made them one of the best in the business. (Wadia also had an upgrade for the S7i to allow it to play 24/192 tested and ready to ship, and when Fine Sounds bought them they summarily killed that, too.)

Best DACs I had ever heard until I heard the dCS Rossini with Rossini Clock at roughly double the price of what I paid for my last Wadia, the S7i (pictured below); The Wadia 2000 was the first DAC I had ever heard that made CD sound like… music.

Entertainingly enough, Robert Harley's review of the Wadia X-32 in Stereophile was the first time I found out I could not trust RH's ears as he thought it sonically inferior to the Theta DSPro Basic, which I found to be a listening fatigue box bar none; I demoed about fifteen (!) DACs before purchasing the X-32, my first Wadia, and the Theta either put me to sleep or made me have to shut it off after about ten minutes, every time. The Theta DACs had incredible depth and sound staging, but every one I heard was the very antithesis of musical.

View attachment 115049

You should really try and give your local brand Playback Designs a chance. CH Precision C1.2 and Ypsilon DAC1000 - both being R-2R - are also valid alternatives.

dCS has always been and still is more on the analytical and "lit up" side to my ears.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
You should really try and give your local brand Playback Designs a chance. CH Precision C1.2 and Ypsilon DAC1000 - both being R-2R - are also valid alternatives.

dCS has always been and still is more on the analytical and "lit up" side to my ears.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Perhaps someday but the nearest dealer is over 1,000 miles away from me.

Reactions: Hyperion

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017

View attachment 115049
In my limited experience at the time (mid-90s?), Wadia made industry leading players. Expensive, built like tanks, beautiful sound, some software teething problems. I was about to buy their low-end player when they were acquired. Scared me off. Bought a Proceed instead.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
I’m not sure what software issues you are thinking of, but their software gave me far less trouble than that of other companies’, and all without the ability to upgrade from a downloaded file.

Never had a single software glitch with the X-32, 830 or S7i.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I’m not sure what software issues you are thinking of, but their software gave me far less trouble than that of other companies’, and all without the ability to upgrade from a downloaded file.

Never had a single software glitch with the X-32, 830 or S7i.
This was a comment from my Wadia dealer. I did not experience them as I was never an owner.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
This was a comment from my Wadia dealer. I did not experience them as I was never an owner.

Interesting as, as stated, the Wadia software was pretty much rock solid, I never heard of a single issue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing