Best single box cd player - any recommendations

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
For the prices that Wadia charges, they should come with Black Gate caps and Vishay resistors.

Are you saying this because you have listened to many and most high end CDPs? And, have come to this conclusion based on experience, knowledge, unbiased A-B testing to determined that Wadia over charges for their products, compared to other manufactures? The Great Northern Sound Company Statement mod was $3k above the $15K for the Wadia S7i. So, if you have indeed listened to this player, what other CDP/DAC/Preamps do you feel offer a better cost to performance ratio? I should add I am saying this with a little wink. :)

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Well, I've taken the plunge and just paid a deposit for a brand new Meridian 808.3. I'm feeling like a kid all over again.....yahooo! :D

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
So you bought it without listening to it first?

I buy a lot of gear without hearing it. I have been rarely disappointed, but some gear clearly provides more excitement than others.

Joe

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Well, I've taken the plunge and just paid a deposit for a brand new Meridian 808.3. I'm feeling like a kid all over again.....yahooo! :D

Congratulations jtein,

This is one player on my short list, partly because it interfaces so well with the Sooloos system. Please keep us updated and please post a photo when you get it. Thanks!

Joe

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
The Meridian 808.3 CD player; does it provide good sound for the buck? :b

I had the Meridian 808.3 for 3 weeks in my system. IMHO, it is not in the same league as a STOCK Wadia S7i. Please understand, this is only mine, and a fellow Burmester system owner opinion. Maybe with more revealing speakers than Venture or Wilson Benesch? There was not enough of an emotional connection with the 808.3. It lacked impact, slam and most of all sounded too soft, yet oddly, it did have enough detail and resolution. Maybe my ears are too blame.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joe! :b

But what about components' synergy (matching)?

Bob

Hi Bob,

I certainly believe the first and foremost synergy link is between amp and preamp. The rest, I think it all depends.

Joe

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I had the Meridian 808.3 for 3 weeks in my system. IMHO, it is not in the same league as a STOCK Wadia S7i. Please understand, this is only mine, and a fellow Burmester system owner opinion. Maybe with more revealing speakers than Venture or Wilson Benesch? There was not enough of an emotional connection with the 808.3. It lacked impact, slam and most of all sounded too soft, yet oddly, it did have enough detail and resolution. Maybe my ears are too blame.

But then, they are the musical window to your soul. :b

Thanx Jim for your own personal & honest feedback.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi Bob,

I certainly believe the first and foremost synergy link is between amp and preamp. The rest, I think it all depends.

Joe

Hi Joe,

The playback source device and the loudspeakers (mechanical reproducers and crossovers). :b
...I truly believe.
And the interconnects for sure as well. And lest not forget the speaker's cables.

Bests to you,
Bob

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joe,

The playback source device and the loudspeakers (mechanical reproducers and crossovers). :b
...I truly believe.
And the interconnects for sure as well. And lest not forget the speaker's cables.

Bests to you,
Bob

Hi Bob,

All good points. I guess no matter what, when it sounds right, there is synergy. Maybe I should pay more attention to the whole playback chain. :)

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia

But I'm pretty familiar with the rest of my system (you can look 'em up in my profile). After comparing notes, I feel that the 808.3 would fit into my system nicely. I've heard dCS Puccini (without the U-Clock) once in a dealer's showroom, partnered with Goldmund amp and Sonus Faber Cremona M. Vocals sounded rather dry and thin. As for XDS1, the cost is prohibitive. So the Meridian is the best bet.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Congratulations jtein,

This is one player on my short list, partly because it interfaces so well with the Sooloos system. Please keep us updated and please post a photo when you get it. Thanks!

Joe

Thanks Joe. Will be sure to post a short review. For now, it's an agonising 2 weeks' wait. But my dealer has very kindly loaned me a Vimak DT-600 cdp. I was surprised by its wonderful soundstaging and timbre faithfulness....better than my Esoteric X-03 SE.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing