Best single box cd player - any recommendations

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just listening to a Nagra CDP - wonderful player. Very precise and detailed, with a focused sound. Not as enveloping as my ARC CD8, but really good with voices and instrumental music.

BTW, I was yesterday at a long listening session using a Metronome Kalista Ultimate plus the the matching C2-A Signature tube DAC. I hate to recognize this setup was much better than anything else at decent prices. And here I give a (small :) ) point to some digital fans - IMHO RedBook played through this system was far better than any HiRez I have ever listened.

Next Tuesday I am promised an interesting face to face - the Continuum Criterion versus the Kalista + C2-A.

Hi Micro,

I very nearly got a second-hand Kalista Ref Transport to go with my Zanden DAC...in the end i passed due to cost (great price second-hand, but still too much). However, i concur that the Kalista Ref is tremendous...have never heard the Ultimate. Please let us know how the 'shoot-out' goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Just listening to a Nagra CDP - wonderful player. Very precise and detailed, with a focused sound. Not as enveloping as my ARC CD8, but really good with voices and instrumental music.

BTW, I was yesterday at a long listening session using a Metronome Kalista Ultimate plus the the matching C2-A Signature tube DAC. I hate to recognize this setup was much better than anything else at decent prices. And here I give a (small :) ) point to some digital fans - IMHO RedBook played through this system was far better than any HiRez I have ever listened.

Next Tuesday I am promised an interesting face to face - the Continuum Criterion versus the Kalista + C2-A.

In my own quest with regards to CD or DAC (currently own a Metronome transport), a chat with Metronome informed me that they are releasing a new DAC to replace the C3a (the single box version DAC just below the C2A).
The new DAC will be C5a, unfortunately no idea when it will be available so could be soon or sometime this year.
Will be interesting to see how the new model compares to the C2a reference one.

Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Just to add to the discussion has anyone here compared or auditioned the Moon 650D or 750D to other products such as the Playback?
Curious as I have never seen them mentioned by anyone on WBF, not looking to buy myself but interesting to understand if anyone has seriously auditioned these models.

Thanks
Orb

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I think people who have not heard a modified Wadia with Black Gate caps and Vishay resisters, are doing themselves a disservice.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I'm not sure how relevant this is but at one point the best I heard a few yrs ago was the joint venture Combak Reiymo.
Don't know if its still in production and at one point they made an attempt to cost reduce the unit, which probably compromised the sound.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I'm not sure how relevant this is but at one point the best I heard a few yrs ago was the joint venture Combak Reiymo.
Don't know if its still in production and at one point they made an attempt to cost reduce the unit, which probably compromised the sound.

I had the CDP 777 for a quite long time, it has been the best single-box red book player I have had, at the end I leaned more to the more suave-sounding Accuphase gear.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think people who have not heard a modified Wadia with Black Gate caps and Vishay resisters, are doing themselves a disservice.

For the prices that Wadia charges, they should come with Black Gate caps and Vishay resistors.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Definitively interesting :D.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
For the prices that Wadia charges, they should come with Black Gate caps and Vishay resistors.
This is something that a lot of people don't get: boutique components do not solve the "big" problems, that of getting realistic sound. They are expensive, will modify the sound to some degree, but are terrible, terrible, value for money approaches to improving SQ: the one big advantage they have is to make it easy for DIY enthusiasts to fiddle with their gear. Competent electronics designers are not going to play this game to suit the consumer, unless they believe it will help to shift more gear ....

Frank

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bob, I didn't know you were into manufacturing of audio gear -- I'm impressed!! :p;)

So, you haven't told us, where does "NorthStar" come from? Just because you're a bit above your slighter lesser cousins down South, perhaps ... ;);):b:b

Frank

Frank, just View my Profile (click on my username); it's all there. :b

...Under Visitor Messages.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Hi Jtein,

I have heard the 808.2 the immediate predecessor, the DCS Scarlatti, the Esoteric X-01 SE and the Emm CDSA. (For reference, i have a second-hand Zanden DAC though am still searching for the Zanden transport.) i have not heard the latest Meridian.

All are excellent without doubt. In order of [personal] preference: 1) DCS Scarlatti, 2) tied Esoteric X-01 SE...equal to...Meridian 808.2, 3) Emm CDSA. I also have heard the DCS Elgar full stack.
Due to price, it is not 'fair' to compare these...but these are the ones i have heard.

In general, i found the DCS Scarlatti (unlike the Elgar) had reached a level of definition, discernment, ease, incredibly low noise floor to fundamentally change the way i heard Redbook. I still preferred my Zanden for its purity of tonality, coherence of delivery between air, delivery of individual notes, ambience...sometimes i felt with DCS all i was hearing notes, no space. But the DCS Scarlatti is miles ahead in terms of 'polychromatic detail' and the ability to keep complex music going all at once without getting flustered. The only other digital i have heard which matched/exceeded is the STahl-Tek Vekian which i think (i could not compare side by side) might actually equal the DCS but have a slightly warmer tonality which i prefer.

The Esoteric was incredibly detailed, clean attack...more so than DCS Elgar...but felt a little too clean, too clipped. The Meridian is beautiful, mellifluous, detailed...for classical, jazz and depending on your system, possibly perfect. On Dr. Dre/rap/hip hop, it still sounds smooth somehow, like Easy Listening, or Smooth Jazz...and somehow i felt like i wanted more punch. i cannot say if the 808.3 has brought punch back. And the Emm CDSA was just behind the pack and i stopped scrutinizing and did not return to it.

Just one person's impressions...not exhaustive auditioning. good luck...all great pieces...pls post when you have heard them!

Thanks Lloyd for the detailed write-up.....will keep what you wrote in mind.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd for the detailed write-up.....will keep what you wrote in mind.

Hi JTein,

The other single-box that (in Asia) i hear many good things about is the Neodio 22...i have seen Wilson and Lamm use it in their demo rooms at shows. But strangely, off the record, i have heard from 2 people who were not impressed with the sound they heard when a Neodio was in the system...and when they knew all of the other components in the system. So just a complete reflection of the little i have heard about the Neodio. 'Sound character' is (from those who like it) very analogue, detailed. FWIW.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Hi JTein,

The other single-box that (in Asia) i hear many good things about is the Neodio 22...i have seen Wilson and Lamm use it in their demo rooms at shows. But strangely, off the record, i have heard from 2 people who were not impressed with the sound they heard when a Neodio was in the system...and when they knew all of the other components in the system. So just a complete reflection of the little i have heard about the Neodio. 'Sound character' is (from those who like it) very analogue, detailed. FWIW.

Hmm...haven't heard of Neodio before. Is it one of those buried treasure boutique brands that doesn't get onto the mainstream? I'm also curious as to why dCS Puccini doesn't get mentioned here either :confused:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hmm...haven't heard of Neodio before. Is it one of those buried treasure boutique brands that doesn't get onto the mainstream? I'm also curious as to why dCS Puccini doesn't get mentioned here either :confused:

Hard to say regarding the Neodeio not having heard it. Sometimes, trends take over and people get swept up in the 'hype'...othertimes, it is a best-kept-secret due to lack of distributors. I do think the Puccini is well regarded...i believe Martin Colloms/HifiCritic have had some good things to say about it...check out their website for Colloms Ratings. While no one reviewer can be definitive, i have enjoyed reading MC's reviews and communicated with him on a number of occassions. he has always been friendly, knowledable with demonstrable experience over the many years.

Peter

Feb 15, 2012

The last I heard of Neodio, they were in fact looking for N. American distribution...that would be inside the past 12 months.

"One box" possibilities that come to my mind are(I mention these without knowing your budget or what else has been brought up in this thread): Lindemann 825 ($13K), EMM XDS1($25K), Esoteric K-01, 03 and 05 ($18k to $10k)...geez, this could go on for ever!:D

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Reading between the lines in the available material on the Neodio, the designer has acquired some excellent understanding of what has to be addressed. This sounds like a unit that I would personally grab hold of, if I had a choice amongst similarly "capable" players. I suspect it will disconcert some listeners because it won't sound like conventional hifi digital, so a system tuned to handle such will not have a "balanced" sound, with it as source. I expect I would put it in the same category as the MBL speakers, capable of brilliance, but easily undone by wrong choices elsewhere in the setup ...

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing