Best match tonearm for Soundsmith Hyperion Mk2 cartridge

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Currently running a Clearaudio Master Innovation ,Graham Phatom 2 tonearm Clearaudio da Vinci V2.cart.Just purchased a Pass Labs XP 27 Phono . I have read good things about the XP27 with low output Moving Iron carts.I like the science behind the Soundsmith carts. So with the future purchase of a Soundsmith Hyperion Mk2 and room for a second arm what would be considered a nice match to get the most out of the system?
Just looking for best match and not just the most expensive..
Cheers Stump

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
As Frank Schroeder and Peter did a lot together to make the Hyperion possible,
the Frank Schroeder Tonearm might be the best match. Even Peter is adding the Schroeder Tonearm into his Soundsmith portfolio. You can find also OMA pictures of Hyperion and Schröder combinations.

Maybe you can get a Soundsmith package of Soundsmith/Schroeder Tonearm and Hyperion 2?

Personally I have not yet tried the Schroeder Arm, as I like changeable headshells. I am using currently the GLANZ MH 124 Tonearm (with Arche Headshell) to host the Hyperion. Nice combination. The new Ikeda 407 SS might also fit. The old solid steel Ikeda 407 does fit very good, so I assume, the new 407 will do as well.

Reactions: Lagonda and Stump

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
As Frank Schroeder and Peter did a lot together to make the Hyperion possible,
the Frank Schroeder Tonearm might be the best match. Even Peter is adding the Schroeder Tonearm into his Soundsmith portfolio. You can find also OMA pictures of Hyperion and Schröder combinations.

Maybe you can get a Soundsmith package of Soundsmith/Schroeder Tonearm and Hyperion 2?

Personally I have not yet tried the Schroeder Arm, as I like changeable headshells. I am using currently the GLANZ MH 124 Tonearm (with Arche Headshell) to host the Hyperion. Nice combination. The new Ikeda 407 SS might also fit. The old solid steel Ikeda 407 does fit very good, so I assume, the new 407 will do as well.
Jürgen, are you the one selling a Air Tangent Reference tonearm on Audiomarkt? It does not have your usual” Highendküche” as seller.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Probably the Soundsmith Alto tonearm, which was designed by Frank Schröder for Soundsmith
https://www.sound-smith.com/tonearms/alto-tone-arm-designed-frank-schröder

Reactions: brencho and Stump

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Soundsmith Alto tonearm looks like a winner.Not too much information yet .Are they in full production?
Thanks for the input.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Soundsmith Alto tonearm looks like a winner.Not too much information yet .Are they in full production?
Thanks for the input.

You're welcome!
Honestly, I don't know, you should contact Soundsmith.
Doing a quick google search points to it being available (Analog Seduction has it in stock), and the tonearm appeared first in Munich 2016, so it should be available, but better contact Soundsmith first IMHO.

Reactions: Stump

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Anyone get the SS Alto tonearm get? I am ordering the Hyperion and will use it with one of my SME V arms, but the Alto tonearm looks very nice.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Anyone get the SS Alto tonearm get? I am ordering the Hyperion and will use it with one of my SME V arms, but the Alto tonearm looks very nice.
I prefer Hyperion in combination with more heavy arms than SME V

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
What arms are you using now and what cartridges? I have used the SME V with a Benz LPS at 16 grams with no problems, distortion or tracking. All aligned perfectly. The SME V arm can support up 18 grams. The Hyperion which weighs 12 grams gives me about 10hz resonance and that does not concern me.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
What arms are you using now and what cartridges? I have used the SME V with a Benz LPS at 16 grams with no problems, distortion or tracking. All aligned perfectly. The SME V arm can support up 18 grams. The Hyperion which weighs 12 grams gives me about 10hz resonance and that does not concern me.
if it works for you, perfect!
The LPS is a great combination in the SME V, I liked it a lot!
Currentyl my Hyperion is fitted in a Glanz MH-124s tonearm

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
if it works for you, perfect!
The LPS is a great combination in the SME V, I liked it a lot!
Currentyl my Hyperion is fitted in a Glanz MH-124s tonearm
Thanks. The Glanz MH124s is a nice tonearm for sure. Do you think it is a bargain compared to the MH124 Platinum? I have one more spot on my turntable to add a third arm...hmmm.

Besides the Glanz, have you tried any other tonearms with the Hyperion? If so, what did you notice sound wise?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Thanks. The Glanz MH124s is a nice tonearm for sure. Do you think it is a bargain compared to the MH124 Platinum? I have one more spot on my turntable to add a third arm...hmmm.

Besides the Glanz, have you tried any other tonearms with the Hyperion? If so, what did you notice sound wise?
I tried SME 3012r, Ikeda 407 and Ikeda 345.

I liked most the Glanz for dynamics and contour. Most vivid playing was Ikeda 345. beautiful midrange on SME 3012r.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I just mounted a slightly used (130 hour) Hyperion Mk II on a TransFi Terminator tonearm and it sounds stunning. And that is after quickly aligning it but before tweaking the VTA.
IMG_0701.JPG

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I think a VPI Tonearm is a great match for Soundsmith.
Not for nothing does soundsmith carts for VPI (zephyr) build ;)

a tip that Zephyr is a killer cart i heard in tw 10.5 and vpi 10.5 tonearm. best cart for money.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing