Best Integrated Amps

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I'm a true believer in the many benefits of integrated units. The performance among the very best are at such a high level these days that you need to have very specific demands (and deep pockets) to justify separates imo. The Ypsilon Phaethon is the highest performing unit I've heard so far. The Absolare integrated is coming to our showroom soon, as are the new Gryphon 300. This segment (upper end integrates) are among the most interesting at the moment.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I'm a true believer in the many benefits of integrated units. The performance among the very best are at such a high level these days that you need to have very specific demands (and deep pockets) to justify separates imo. The Ypsilon Phaethon is the highest performing unit I've heard so far. The Absolare integrated is coming to our showroom soon, as are the new Gryphon 300. This segment (upper end integrates) are among the most interesting at the moment.

I would be very intersted in your comparison with the Diablo 300. I think the Diablo looks to be unbeatable at that pricepoint.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I would be very intersted in your comparison with the Diablo 300. I think the Diablo looks to be unbeatable at that pricepoint.

Also would love to hear your thoughts on the Gryphon 300!

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Allot of great pces being recommended but almost all are just way over kill say for a 98 db efficient 4 ohm speaker - any recommendations?

Some that come to mind in no order;

-MasterSound
-Jadis
-Unison Research
-Audio Note Japan
-AN UK

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Allot of great pces being recommended but almost all are just way over kill say for a 98 db efficient 4 ohm speaker - any recommendations?

-MasterSound
-Jadis
-Unison Research
-Audio Note Japan
-AN UK

Maybe add the Nagra 300i to that list. I know its 20watt PP but it needs efficiant speakers to sound its best. Its also dead quiet.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

-MasterSound
-Jadis
-Unison Research
-Audio Note Japan
-AN UK

Hi Dev,

I think his speakers are Wilsons...so perhaps not 98db? (See below, unless i missed something since the original post?) I agree with you that Wilsons (like the big Xs) can be driven by some lower to mid-powered tube amps/integrateds. But many of the other Wilsons (incl the Xs) can thrive on high current power as well. Plus, i think he was already looking at Boulder.

JLaz - which Wilsons are you using?

Hi, I am new to this forum... and even asking advice on a deeply subjective hobby. I am looking to perhaps move away from separates and into an integrated amp, if I could find one that is worth taking the plunge. This is due to my wife wanting to 1. a simpler system and 2. having a growing family. I am considering the Boulder 865, the Ayre, and at a very different price point the D'Agostino integrated. I am currently leaning towards the Boulder 865 but I would love this group's thoughts. I currently have an all Naim set up. My main source is digital, using the Naim NDX, Naim Dac, and the 555PS powering the Naim Dac. I use Wilson Speakers. Many thanks in advance.

Odyssey

Mar 15, 2015
I am going to throw in the stratospherically priced Soulution 530....

I owned the Soulution 530 with its seven separate power supplies. I would still own it if I hadn't move on to the Soulution separates.

There are many excellent choices out there. It is nice to live in the 21st century.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I owned the Soulution 530 with its seven separate power supplies. I would still own it if I hadn't move on to the Soulution separates.

There are many excellent choices out there. It is nice to live in the 21st century.

I have heard the 530 several times but i would be very interested in your opinion on this as you have actualy lived with the Unit: What did you think about the Soundstage and Imaging capabilitys of the Unit? Did you use the Phonostage?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi Dev,

I think his speakers are Wilsons...so perhaps not 98db? (See below, unless i missed something since the original post?) I agree with you that Wilsons (like the big Xs) can be driven by some lower to mid-powered tube amps/integrateds. But many of the other Wilsons (incl the Xs) can thrive on high current power as well. Plus, i think he was already looking at Boulder.

Thanks - yes I re-read that and I don't want to high jack this thread so I started a new one http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ps-for-efficient-speakers&p=336473#post336473

Odyssey

Mar 15, 2015
I have heard the 530 several times but i would be very interested in your opinion on this as you have actualy lived with the Unit: What did you think about the Soundstage and Imaging capabilitys of the Unit? Did you use the Phonostage?

The 530 threw a huge and expansive soundstage in my room. The imaging was also very good. The specs bear this out for this unit. I did not use the phonstage to any great degree in the 530. I have used the phono stage in the 725 preamp and it is excellent.

I would say that the 530 is 90-95% of the performance of the 520/501 separates which I also have. So you get close performance to the separates for 60% of the cost.

But, what musical engagement there is in that last 5-10%.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
But, what musical engagement there is in that last 5-10%.

Isnt that always the way..;) Everyone raves about the integrated phonostages in the Soulution Gear but i have never been lucky enough to hear for myself. Good to see your happy with your Setup.
Free of the Audionervousa. At least for the time beeing...:)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

-MasterSound
-Jadis
-Unison Research
-Audio Note Japan
-AN UK

The Jinro in particular is a good option here IMHO

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Agreed!! Many preamps and amps now have standby modes. Teach the wife the 2 buttons to power up, input and volume, OR with the $ loss you are going to incur with a separate sale, buy her a system she likes and feels comfortable playing. Having said that, I have heard the latest Ayre integrated with Wilson Alexis, and it was pretty damn good!! Of course, the 5 figure Transparent cabling didn't hurt :) Good luck!!
At the risk of seeming very politically incorrect, intolerant and a male chauvinist pig, DO NOT DOWNSIZE YOUR SYSTEM because anyone other than yourself wants a different system.

Your wife wants a simpler system? What knobs does she need to adjust, the input selector and volume??? An integrated will have all the same knobs as the separates only they will all be on one box.

You bought the system you have because you liked it. Don't let somebody else make you change it. You will hate yourself if you do.

If you like your separates, it is doubtful you will like an integrated, even a good one.

Keep your kids away from your system. Having an integrated vs separates won't protect your system from children.

Get as many of these as needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Petsafe-PDT00...&keywords=electric+dog+collars+for+large+dogs

Jlaz

Aug 22, 2015
Hi! Sorry for disappearing for so long, I had a work related project that got in the way. Thank you all for your wonderful advice and help. I should probably let you know more about how we got to this point and why i am making this decision (it has more to do than just my family). I was offered a chance to upgrade my Naim system and for the cost of the upgrade I decided that I would really examine my options and make a decision that can last me several years. I never thought about the potential of an integrated amp as I thought I have moved beyond that. One of my favorite combo I had heard was an ARC Ref 40 with a Boulder 1060 power amp into wilson speakers. They were great. I also liked the Boulder 1010 and the Boulder 1060 Combo. So I decided it was time to reach out to the dealers that I know, including my long time dealer. The overwhelming feedback I received was that I should seriously consider an integrated amplifier, both at the entry price of the 865 all the way to the D'agostino. The recommendations seems to be that unless i am committed to the 2100 series in boulder the 865 is the best bargain in the range. Sure the 1000 series is better than the 865 but on similar speakers and with the same source sounded very very good and to be fair was very similar. If I were to add a phono stage, then I am not sure its as good of a deal, but oh well. I really liked the D'agostino and its still on the list along with with the 865. I had never even heard of Dartzeel before this thread so I am going to find a dealer I can hear it. I also want to head the Vitus and then I can report back. My source is primarily digital and its the Naim NDX fed to the Naim Dac, powered but the Naim 555 PS. I am considering trading it in for either the ARC Reference Dac or a DCS Rossini. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks so much for your help!

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Hi! Sorry for disappearing for so long, I had a work related project that got in the way. Thank you all for your wonderful advice and help. I should probably let you know more about how we got to this point and why i am making this decision (it has more to do than just my family). I was offered a chance to upgrade my Naim system and for the cost of the upgrade I decided that I would really examine my options and make a decision that can last me several years. I never thought about the potential of an integrated amp as I thought I have moved beyond that. One of my favorite combo I had heard was an ARC Ref 40 with a Boulder 1060 power amp into wilson speakers. They were great. I also liked the Boulder 1010 and the Boulder 1060 Combo. So I decided it was time to reach out to the dealers that I know, including my long time dealer. The overwhelming feedback I received was that I should seriously consider an integrated amplifier, both at the entry price of the 865 all the way to the D'agostino. The recommendations seems to be that unless i am committed to the 2100 series in boulder the 865 is the best bargain in the range. Sure the 1000 series is better than the 865 but on similar speakers and with the same source sounded very very good and to be fair was very similar. If I were to add a phono stage, then I am not sure its as good of a deal, but oh well. I really liked the D'agostino and its still on the list along with with the 865. I had never even heard of Dartzeel before this thread so I am going to find a dealer I can hear it. I also want to head the Vitus and then I can report back. My source is primarily digital and its the Naim NDX fed to the Naim Dac, powered but the Naim 555 PS. I am considering trading it in for either the ARC Reference Dac or a DCS Rossini. Do you have any thoughts?

Hi Jlaz

With any of the gear you have listed there i dont think you are going to regret moving away from the Naim stuff.
Not saying it all sounds the same, but its all top class and i think you will even consider this a upgrade in the end....

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Jlaz,

Where are you located? We can help with darTZeel, D'Agostino and Hegel too. They just came out with a winner, the H360 integrated.
If you want, get in touch and we'll go over some options :D

cheers,
Alex

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Jlaz,

Sometimes, you do your homework and ask lots of questions (which are you are)...and then ultimately trust your gut. When i look at the ARC Ref40, personally, i think 'long term keeper'...you may equally feel the same way about the Boulder 1010...i have not heard it. i have heard the Ref 40 briefly and have definitely auditioned the Boulder 2060...and both of these are DEFINITELY long-term keepers in my book.

So if you think you love the combo, go for it. In addition to loving what you will have...you also have long-long-long term flexibility if you decided you still love the Boulder and which to change out preamp...or keep the Ref40 and go for the 2060 or 2100 someday. I highly doubt you go too wrong with the top integrateds...just because they are integrateds does NOT mean they are second class...the D'Agostino integrated, Gryphon Diablo and Vitus Integrated all come to mind as truly world-class components.

So you are definitely looking at all great options...but if you ultimately 'love' the Ref40+Boulder 1000 series amp, go for it. Sometimes in addition to loving the sound, its the satisfaction that you got what you really wanted deep down inside. good luck.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing